+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 yr college certificate / diploma enough to apply for PR

NAS800

Sep 2, 2013
Dear Friends,

I need to know what does the rule of Converting student visa into PR suggests. Different people have different opinion. I've found an excellent College Certificate for myself but it is for 1-yr. Will I be able to apply for PR after completion of that certificate. Please do answer. Many Thanks

Nas

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No.

There is no direct path to PR based strictly on education, regardless of how long a program of study is. Essentially, all current immigration streams, aside from family or refugee, require the PR applicant to have either 1) one year or longer of full-time (or part-time adjusted equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, 2) skilled work experience and a written/guaranteed job offer within a select number of job specialties, or 3) in some provinces, a liberalized variation of the of the previous two (Provincial Nominee programs).

An education degree/diploma/certificate is most beneficial because it may qualify the graduate for a coveted Post-Graduate Open Work Permit. A holder of a PGWP need not first find a suitable job and an employer willing to apply for a LMO (which can be extremely difficult) before requesting a Work Permit. Rather, the PGWP allows the holder to search for any jobs they like.

The length of validity of a PGWP is contingent on the length of the program of study, and all courses/degrees/diplomas/etc. must be from an approved institution. Basically, the school must be a public (government) institution. Attendance at very few, if any, private schools will qualify an individual for a PGWP.

I myself recently (August 2013) received a 3-year PGWP after completing a 2-year diploma program at a college here in Vancouver.

So you see, my friend, the benefit for aspiring PRs of attending and graduating from a Canadian college or university is not that it will make you immediately eligible for PR, but rather that it is often the best route to receiving a work permit, which will (hopefully) lead to a sucessful PR application.

Best of Luck to you.

Reactions: Olad_queen

YUPPPP

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
NeedleArtist said:
No.

There is no direct path to PR based strictly on education, regardless of how long a program of study is. Essentially, all current immigration streams, aside from family or refugee, require the PR applicant to have either 1) one year or longer of full-time (or part-time adjusted equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, 2) skilled work experience and a written/guaranteed job offer within a select number of job specialties, or 3) in some provinces, a liberalized variation of the of the previous two (Provincial Nominee programs).

An education degree/diploma/certificate is most beneficial because it may qualify the graduate for a coveted Post-Graduate Open Work Permit. A holder of a PGWP need not first find a suitable job and an employer willing to apply for a LMO (which can be extremely difficult) before requesting a Work Permit. Rather, the PGWP allows the holder to search for any jobs they like.

The length of validity of a PGWP is contingent on the length of the program of study, and all courses/degrees/diplomas/etc. must be from an approved institution. Basically, the school must be a public (government) institution. Attendance at very few, if any, private schools will qualify an individual for a PGWP.

I myself recently (August 2013) received a 3-year PGWP after completing a 2-year diploma program at a college here in Vancouver.

So you see, my friend, the benefit for aspiring PRs of attending and graduating from a Canadian college or university is not that it will make you immediately eligible for PR, but rather that it is often the best route to receiving a work permit, which will (hopefully) lead to a sucessful PR application.

Best of Luck to you.

Dear NeedleArtist

Which college did you graduate from? is it really important to go for a 2 yr course... or i can get a visa on 1 yr course?

i have selected the following colleges

cambrian college
flemming
northern college
seneca
vancouver career college

my preferred course if youth worker

however i can go for project management for community services

after working in marketing field... do you think i will be able to get visa on the following courses. especially when i aim to work in youth work here in pakistan.

Thank you

Vaishali Sehgal

Star Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hlo guys....i m waiting for my visa ..for certificate program ...is it true that it is easy to get visa for 1 year program?? M going for early learning nd childcare after bachelors in education

Last edited:

mumittarafder

Feb 17, 2017
I've 5 years study gap after my 12th class (in the meantime I've completed 1 year bachelor at University of Dhaka) now can I apply for candain diploma course?