+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year pgwp, chances of PR?

Sravya193

Sep 27, 2023
I have 5 years of experience as a software engineer from 2014-2019 outside Canada. I did a program from Jan 2022-August 2022. Got my pgwp approved in March 2023. My pgwp expires in March 2024 and I'm still unemployed. (Worked for a Canadian employer as QA analyst from Oct2022 to Feb 2023, they let go of since my study permit expired). If I do well in my IELTS, my score would be 472-475. I don't know what to do and I'm in a constant state of panic. Can someone guide me what my options are? Am I doomed?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I have 5 years of experience as a software engineer from 2014-2019 outside Canada. I did a program from Jan 2022-August 2022. Got my pgwp approved in March 2023. My pgwp expires in March 2024 and I'm still unemployed. (Worked for a Canadian employer as QA analyst from Oct2022 to Feb 2023, they let go of since my study permit expired). If I do well in my IELTS, my score would be 472-475. I don't know what to do and I'm in a constant state of panic. Can someone guide me what my options are? Am I doomed?
You can:
1. learn french to add 70+ additional points
2. look into PNP options for yourself
3. get into another course
4. get a job offer supported by LMIA to claim another 50 points

You are not doomed as long as you give up tbh. But, I would also emphasize that taking care of your mental/physical health is equally as important - you shouldn't be in a constant state of panic. Think about it in this way, would you be asked to go back once your PGWP expires? Yes. Does it mean that you won't be able to get a PR? No! You'll always have the option to get another LMIA supported job offer or do French. All you'll have to do is to scope it well out.

Sravya193

Sep 27, 2023
You can:
1. learn french to add 70+ additional points
2. look into PNP options for yourself
3. get into another course
4. get a job offer supported by LMIA to claim another 50 points

You are not doomed as long as you give up tbh. But, I would also emphasize that taking care of your mental/physical health is equally as important - you shouldn't be in a constant state of panic. Think about it in this way, would you be asked to go back once your PGWP expires? Yes. Does it mean that you won't be able to get a PR? No! You'll always have the option to get another LMIA supported job offer or do French. All you'll have to do is to scope it well out.
Thank you for your reply. I learnt some french through Duolingo casually for sometime, I hope it's helpful for the second language exam. I don't know much about PNP, I'll research on it.
Should I apply for a January intake or does May work?
How do I ask the employers if they are willing to get an LMIA for me? When should I bring that conversation up?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thank you for your reply. I learnt some french through Duolingo casually for sometime, I hope it's helpful for the second language exam. I don't know much about PNP, I'll research on it.
Should I apply for a January intake or does May work?
How do I ask the employers if they are willing to get an LMIA for me? When should I bring that conversation up?
I'm not sure about intakes.

About LMIA - you can:
1. look for jobs that list visa sponsorship is available
2. build rapport with your employer, make yourself irreplaceable and then ask.
3. talk to folks on LMIA and understand their journey.

Going for LMIA will require you to significantly upskill yourself within your field.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Should I try for LMIA jobs that are not in my field as well?
I'm not sure that makes sense. LMIAs require quite a bit of effort on the part of the employer. Not sure an employer is going to be willing to go through the trouble if you have no education or work experience in that field. For the LMIA to be approved, the employer has to prove no Canadian could be found for the role and you have the skills to fill it. IRCC may also challenge if you can do the job if your experience and education is in no way related. Keep in mind the job needs to be skilled to help you with EE.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay