+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year and 4 months of work experience in Canada but only 9 months back home.

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Hey guys, I hope everything is ok with you all

So, I was using the CRS tool to check my score (for the CEC program), and I noticed there is no option to combine my work experiences (unless I have at least 1-year experience back home).
My experiences are in different positions, however, they are both in the NOC B.

My question is, Does my 9 months of work experience back home add up to my 1.4 years (16 months) experience here in Canada, making it 2 years of experience?
or
I necessarily need at least 1 year of experience back home to combine?

Was anybody in the same situation or know how the IRCC would calculate this?

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Hey guys, I hope everything is ok with you all

So, I was using the CRS tool to check my score (for the CEC program), and I noticed there is no option to combine my work experiences (unless I have at least 1-year experience back home).
My experiences are in different positions, however, they are both in the NOC B.

My question is, Does my 9 months of work experience back home add up to my 1.4 years (16 months) experience here in Canada, making it 2 years of experience?
or
I necessarily need at least 1 year of experience back home to combine?

Was anybody in the same situation or know how the IRCC would calculate this?
Experience from home country would consider as Foreign experience which you can claim the points but to apply under CEC, you have to have a Canadian employer, be physically here (doesn't matter if its a remote work or not) and gain a 1 year of Canadian experience.
You wouldn't want to misrepresent your application!

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Experience from home country would consider as Foreign experience which you can claim the points but to apply under CEC, you have to have a Canadian employer, be physically here (doesn't matter if its a remote work or not) and gain a 1 year of Canadian experience.
You wouldn't want to misrepresent your application!
I understand, but my question is more like, Will my 1.4 years of experience here in Canada (NOC B) be combined with the 9 months of experience I have back home (Also NOC B) and then be counted as 2 years of experience under the CEC?

Thank you for the reply!

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
I understand, but my question is more like, Will my 1.4 years of experience here in Canada (NOC B) be combined with the 9 months of experience I have back home (Also NOC B) and then be counted as 2 years of experience under the CEC?

Thank you for the reply!
9 month experience from home: yes, you can claim that points as a Foreign experience
1.4 years experience in Canada: yes you can claim it as a Canadian Exp.
The answer is Yes, you can do that.

I did mine as well: 2.5 years of Family Business counted towards Foreign Exp and then 1 year of Canadian Exp.

Reactions: JMmoura

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
9 month experience from home: yes, you can claim that points as a Foreign experience
1.4 years experience in Canada: yes you can claim it as a Canadian Exp.
The answer is Yes, you can do that.

I did mine as well: 2.5 years of Family Business counted towards Foreign Exp and then 1 year of Canadian Exp.
Thanks man, I appreciate the reply.

I was a little confused bc I thought the foreign experience had to be at least 1 year to start counting.

That's good news!

nikagn

Feb 11, 2022
Thanks man, I appreciate the reply.

I was a little confused bc I thought the foreign experience had to be at least 1 year to start counting.

That's good news!
Pretty sure that Foreign Experience does not count if less than 1 year. And, if I understand your question correctly, you can not combine foreign experience and Canadian for CEC.
Based on my experience with CEC, only 1 year of experience in Canada would count, and not the 9 months foreign experience as it is less than 1 year.

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Pretty sure that Foreign Experience does not count if less than 1 year. And, if I understand your question correctly, you can not combine foreign experience and Canadian for CEC.
Based on my experience with CEC, only 1 year of experience in Canada would count, and not the 9 months foreign experience as it is less than 1 year.
I dunno if I understood it correctly.

You are saying that for CEC (in my case) the experiences cannot be combined because the foreign experience is less than 1 year?

or, for CEC, an international experience never counts even if it is more than 1 year.

nikagn

Feb 11, 2022
No worries, I will try to explain what I mean :)
You can get points under CEC for Foreign Experience as well, but the minimum is 1 year, so for less than that you wouldn't get points, unfortunately. So yes, it counts, but 1 year minimum.
Unfortunately the system only considers full years. I had 1 year and 10 month international experience and only 1 year would have counted for points, bummer. So in your case, based on my experience, you would only get points for the 1 year of Canadian Experience, the rest would unfortunately not count. I would suggest playing a bit with the CRS score counter on their website, as you can see there how your total points change with, for example, 1 year foreign experience, less than 1 year, etc.
Hope that helps :)

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
No worries, I will try to explain what I mean :)
You can get points under CEC for Foreign Experience as well, but the minimum is 1 year, so for less than that you wouldn't get points, unfortunately. So yes, it counts, but 1 year minimum.
Unfortunately the system only considers full years. I had 1 year and 10 month international experience and only 1 year would have counted for points, bummer. So in your case, based on my experience, you would only get points for the 1 year of Canadian Experience, the rest would unfortunately not count. I would suggest playing a bit with the CRS score counter on their website, as you can see there how your total points change with, for example, 1 year foreign experience, less than 1 year, etc.
Hope that helps :)
Oh, I understand now.
That's kinda sad.

I do have more international experience in another company, however, for that one I can't prove anything because it was a small company and I was paid in cash :(

Reactions: nikagn

nikagn

Feb 11, 2022
Oh, I understand now.
That's kinda sad.

I do have more international experience in another company, however, for that one I can't prove anything because it was a small company and I was paid in cash :(
Yeah, it can be unfortunate :(
I also ended up not using my foreign experience because it would have taken me forever to get the reference letter from them.
Enter the pool with the 1 year canadian experience and keep on working, soon you will have 2 years experience in Canada and for now draws are paused anyway. You will get there :)

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Yeah, it can be unfortunate :(
I also ended up not using my foreign experience because it would have taken me forever to get the reference letter from them.
Enter the pool with the 1 year canadian experience and keep on working, soon you will have 2 years experience in Canada and for now draws are paused anyway. You will get there :)
Thanks Man, I will keep trying.
Perhaps I will try to learn French.
Also, you mentioned the reference letter ( which I can probably get), but the only problem is that I don't have paystubs because I was paid in cash :confused:
Would the reference letter be enough?

nikagn

Feb 11, 2022
Thanks Man, I will keep trying.
Perhaps I will try to learn French.
Also, you mentioned the reference letter ( which I can probably get), but the only problem is that I don't have paystubs because I was paid in cash :confused:
Would the reference letter be enough?
Good question and not sure about the pay stubs :/
They didn't ask for pay stubs for my Canadian experience but not sure how they handle foreign experience, there is a high probability that they ask for pay stubs or any other proof, like tax receipts etc. But I am not sure, someone else in the forum who used their foreign work experience for points would probably know better :) You are likely not the first person with this scenario, so I would do some research to see if there are any other ways to prove your foreign experience!

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Good question and not sure about the pay stubs :/
They didn't ask for pay stubs for my Canadian experience but not sure how they handle foreign experience, there is a high probability that they ask for pay stubs or any other proof, like tax receipts etc. But I am not sure, someone else in the forum who used their foreign work experience for points would probably know better :) You are likely not the first person with this scenario, so I would do some research to see if there are any other ways to prove your foreign experience!
Oh, that's interesting, the fact they didn't ask for paystubs.
I will do my research. There might be hope :)
Thanks for the answers!