+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“REQUEST FOR PROOF OF RETURN TO CANADA”

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Anyone who did the citizenship test outside of Canada and have received a letter from IRCC “REQUEST FOR PROOF OF RETURN TO CANADA” ?

Reactions: SVK21

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Anyone who did the citizenship test outside of Canada and have received a letter from IRCC “REQUEST FOR PROOF OF RETURN TO CANADA” ?
I did and I also did interview outside Canada. Until now, I have not received such letter.
It depends on the office. Some applicants got oath invitation while overseas but the others said they received similar letter from IRCC prior to oath.
So they want you to go back to schedule oath?

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Thanks. Good information.
They haven’t mentioned anything for Oath. Below is the text from letter.
Lets see if any member got similar letter and how their application was handled.

It is noted that you wrote the Citizenship Test from outside Canada. Please reply to this email with the following information:
- The date you left Canada prior to Citizenship Test invitation
- The date you returned (or intended to return) to Canada
- If you are back in Canada, you are required to provide proof of your return, such as, travel
documents. This may include: travel itinerary, e-booking confirmation, flight confirmation,
boarding pass, Canadian entry stamp.
- A copy of your PR Card.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Thanks. Good information.
They haven’t mentioned anything for Oath. Below is the text from letter.
Lets see if any member got similar letter and how their application was handled.

It is noted that you wrote the Citizenship Test from outside Canada. Please reply to this email with the following information:
- If you are back in Canada, you are required to provide proof of your return, such as, travel
documents. This may include: travel itinerary, e-booking confirmation, flight confirmation,
Better to give them your expected return date at least. They wanna make sure you're still a PR before oath.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
They have taken 3+ years for my application any way …
Anyway, I requested taking oath outside as I have a medical condition. It's been 3 months after the interview. Radio slilent...

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Anyway, I requested taking oath outside as I have a medical condition. It's been 3 months after the interview. Radio slilent...
well best of luck. They may give you exemption since you have a valid reason.
Havent come across any one yet.

prasanna@

Aug 15, 2016
well best of luck. They may give you exemption since you have a valid reason.
Havent come across any one yet.
Hey Zainali89,
I am a april 2021 applicant and got the similar email yesterday. I finished my test and it got completed on Nov 26, 2021 and since then this is the first email I have got. I am still outside canada due to work and I can go back for Oath anytime. I have a valid PR as well. Can you please tell me how you responded in this situation and also did you get the oath invite after your reply. Can you shed some lights?

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hey Zainali89,
I am a april 2021 applicant and got the similar email yesterday. I finished my test and it got completed on Nov 26, 2021 and since then this is the first email I have got. I am still outside canada due to work and I can go back for Oath anytime. I have a valid PR as well. Can you please tell me how you responded in this situation and also did you get the oath invite after your reply. Can you shed some lights?

You can go through this thread. This is one way to respond.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ircc-is-asking-for-a-boarding-pass.768400/

It is likely your application processing is nearly complete and they're looking to schedule your oath.

You can provide all the info and documentation they're asking for and then tell them why you are outside and (if) what situation is keeping you away from Canada. Then you can say you will be available for oath with 2 weeks of notice (or whatever headsup time you are comfortable with). When you're providing this information, just make sure you can keep the appointment to avoid further delays.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_S

Ana.me

Star Member
Jan 19, 2020
Strange! but up to my knowledge , anyone can leave the country if he fulfill the residency requirements and have a valid PR status.

Are they sending this emails after the test immediately? Any one who got this email had an interview with officer before or after the email?

Reactions: Dreamlad

SVK21

Aug 30, 2021
I got the same email 2 days back and replied with details today. Until now no reply or progress.

Did you reply to this email? what's their response?

Reactions: Dreamlad

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Strange! but up to my knowledge , anyone can leave the country if he fulfill the residency requirements and have a valid PR status.
Not at all strange. On the contrary, as just the query itself, and numerous anecdotal reports in this forum illustrate, the information requested from @prasanna@ is commonly requested from applicants IRCC knows or perceives to be abroad; in particular, when the test was taken while outside Canada, apparently this is typical for applicants being processed in at least some specific local offices.

There is nothing about any such request itself that suggests cause for worry, other than the obvious incidental delay in the time line, which may be quite minimal, comparable to other minor non-routine processing (like a finger print request), so long as there are not other circumstances triggering more complex non-routine processing.

For additional similar reports, and some in-depth discussion, see several other topics related to this in particular, among others which more broadly address how living abroad (not merely traveling, albeit there is a tendency among some forum participants to mischaracterize living abroad as merely travel) can affect the process. Among such topics, there is the one which @iceman55 links above, where for example I noted:
The scope of information IRCC can request is very broad, and generally no particular reason for it is needed, their discretion only limited by the scope of action they can take if the applicant declines or fails to provide the requested information. Other than (honestly) responding with the information, or a request that IRCC proceed without the information (and waiting to see how that goes), an applicant's recourse is mandamus.
In regards to . . .

". . . to my knowledge , anyone can leave the country if he fulfill the residency requirements and have a valid PR status."​

Not sure why you think that is relevant here.

There has been a contingency of forum participants who erroneously claim IRCC cannot legitimately request information related to an applicant's post-application activities (that is, while the application is pending), like work or address information after applying. IRCC can and it does. Especially (but not limited to) applicants known or perceived to have relocated abroad (again, not merely travel abroad). Requests for such information in no way constitutes any restriction on a PR's mobility rights, noting that of course a PR does not have the same protection of mobility rights as a citizen.

Praveena544

Jul 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I got the interview request today. In the email it is mentioned that if any information provided on the immigration or criminal proceedings is changed, I have to inform the office immediately. I got h4 visa for US a few months back. Do I have to inform them regarding this one?