+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried well about getting an RQ after test

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Hello all,

Have been trolling this forum for a while, and the more I read the more worried I get. So here is my situation.

Landed June 2001
Back and forth from India, was finishing school, graduated 2003. Mentioned this to the immigration guys at the airport for the reason of this long absence (approx a year), never lied! They said back then that its ok.

Living in Ontario since Sep 2003
My Indian passport expired July 2010
Renewed passport Jan 2013
No vacations or absences from Canada since Sep 2003 except 7 days in 2013, trip to Cuba..Needed a vacation!

Applied for citizenship sometime in August.
Application sent back, noting missing travel docs for the 4 year period
Sent application back with explanation that I had no valid passport or any other travel docand prior passport expired. Also highlighted the notes on the passports that noted the new passport number and old passport number etc.
Had given consent for CBSA.

Sep 2004 - Apr 2007 university
May 2007 - Aug 2008 Internship at an IT company
Aug 2008 - Sep 2009 university + part-time at same IT company
May 2009 - till now, full time employee at the same IT company

Old passport has stamps from middle east from 2000, 2001, getting this translated!
One stamp for Greece also 2001
The last stamp on the expired passport is 2003, entry to Canada

Current passport has one stamp Apr 2013, coming back from Cuba.
I've the boarding pass for the flight to Cuba. So I can show exit and entry date.

Here is what CIC says

- We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 24, 2013.
- We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 24, 2013. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
- We started processing your application on December 19, 2013.
- We sent you a notice on April 1, 2014 to appear and write the citizenship test on April 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM.

This is what I'm bringing with me to the test

- Transcripts for study in India from 2003
- Transcripts from the university here in Ontario
- All T4s since 2006, was working part-time as a TA at uni
- Letter of employment stating that I've been employed since May 2009, includes salary
- Dentist, physiotherapist receipts, Other receipts.
- All charity receipts since 2007
- CRA notice of assessment, since 2008, missing others will print out from the CRA website.
- Boarding pass for trip to Cuba and the itinerary.
- Adoption form for my cat from Toronto Animal services
- Portuguese girlfriend :p

Hell I want to bring old expired prescriptions with me too!

I've been living with my parents, but have been paying for the condo maintenance fee with my cheques. Should I print out the cheques and bring them with me? Anything else?

This is stressing me out! I can't pick up the book without thinking of being handed an RQ! Can't knock on wood or have fingers crossed don't help!

Can someone comment here? Anything that I can bring to avoid the dreadful RQ?

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Just relax my friend. There is no use worrying too much about something that may not happen especially since it looks like you've covered all your bases, and your application is legit as legit can be, and even CIC ecas seems to say so. If you really feel unlucky for whatever reason and think RQ will be metted to you despite everything, forget aoubt it for now -- get busy with other things in life -- and just cross the bridge if/when you get there. HTH.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In a short 5-10 min interview officer will mostly look at your last 4 years documents. 80% of your interview period, they will look at your original passports covered last 4 years (exit,entry stamps, CBSA) which photocopy you provided them to determine you lived in Canada for 1095 days.

If there is travel may ask about few things on your travel (reason, duration etc). If you don't have any discrepancies in your passport you are mostly done. Rest 20% time allocate on your work and other issues and NOA, T4, Medical documents could be with your but they may see or not depends..

Also note, people applying from lat 2013 are not receiving RQs as like before as they trying to resolve the backlog. So in my opinion, CIC will not issue one unless it is critical..

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bb4557 said:
I had no valid passport or any other travel docand prior passport expired. Also highlighted the notes on the passports that noted the new passport number and old passport number etc.
What do you mean by this?
You don't have one of your passports? What period does it cover??
you may be questioned for that

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Goldline said:
What do you mean by this?
You don't have one of your passports? What period does it cover??
you may be questioned for that
Passport expired on 2nd July 2010, did not get this renewed till 8th March 2013. Doesn't mean that I didn't have a passport that I did not declare. Only means for this duration I had no valid passport. I actually had to get a letter from CIC stating that I'm not a citizen for the Indian consulate to renew the passport :eek: . I do have the T4's during this duration, as I've been employed since 2009.

The new passport mentions the old passport number that was expire.
The old passport has a note of the new passport number and the issue date.

This is what I replied CIC back with, citing the notes on the passport.

I had no reason to travel so did not renew the passport :(.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bb4557 said:
June 2001
Apparently you are are holding PR status from 2001 and that may compel CIC to look deeper into your history outside of 4 years and officer may ask to show all the original passports since the day you became PR.

I think CIC normally has less issues with applicants who became PR within 4 years window and mostly they lived 3+ years carrying single passport since PR to interview and other supporting also limits to that..

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
rayman_m said:
Apparently you are are holding PR status from 2001 and that may compel CIC to look deeper into your history outside of 4 years and officer may ask to show all the original passports since the day you became PR.

I think CIC normally has less issues with applicants who became PR within 4 years window and mostly they lived 3+ years and supporting also limits to that..
As I mentioned there was no travel between Sep 2003 to date, except 7 days, which I can prove on spot.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you living in Canada as PR since 2003 and no travel since then, you should have been applied long before in 2006/2007. However, all you have to proof by Passport since 2003 (even expired one) that you have 1 traveled and I believe it would be fine with CIC. Also CIC will get your CBSA report where they will find the same since 2003 that will match with your passports..

However, you know Cuba is a red flag country under US eye and I am not sure how Canada sees that when a non native travels to those countries like Cuba, North Korea, Iran etc. I Hope they accept your 7 days vacation as just normal trip..

We find in this forum many applicant traveled other than their home country (US, Middle East etc) received RQ. The reason is CIC like to know more about the applicant's 3rd country visit whether they are tied with 3rd countries in terms of work/business..

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
rayman_m said:
Since you living in Canada as PR since 2003 and no travel since then, you should have been applied long before in 2006/2007. However, all you have to proof by Passport since 2003 (even expired one) that you have 1 traveled and I believe it would be fine with CIC. Also CIC will get your CBSA report where they will find the same since 2003 that will match with your passports..
Thanks mate! I just computed the absence from Canada since Jun 2001 to date to be 701 days only.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In your case I don't see any red flag issues except the expired passport issue which you renewed later and you have already explained in the letter. Whatever you explained in the letter repeat the same during interview if officer want an explanation from you.. So, you better relax and concentrate on your test and interview preparation and load all the proof stuff in your beg that you mentioned. If for any reason gets RQs deal with that when it comes to you. These days RQ processing also looks faster then before.. Good luck

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
rayman_m said:
However, you know Cuba is a red flag country under US eye and I am not sure how Canada sees that when a non native travels to those countries like Cuba, North Korea, Iran etc. I Hope they accept your 7 days vacation as just normal trip..
What's in Cuba besides cigars, rum and the beaches ;D I still have the flight itinerary with the resort information.. Can't a guy have a little vacation? Who is going to do business in Cuba? Its a communist country!

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Absolutely there is nothing wrong traveling to Cuba but when it comes to face CIC officer in interview one have to satisfy them answering their questions. It is officer's discretion to decide if they want to let the process go normal or insert so call RQ to linger the process. But for his case, I don't think it is a problem for just a single trip as vacation..

bb4557

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
rayman_m said:
Absolutely there is nothing wrong traveling to Cuba but when it comes to face CIC officer in interview one have to satisfy them answering their questions. It is officer's discretion to decide if they want to let the process go normal or insert so call RQ to linger the process. But for his case, I don't think it is a problem for just a single trip as vacation..
Alright passed the test, interview was no biggie, talked about the travel to Cuba and weather there. Handed over the translated stamps/visa (most of them were before I landed). Asked about employment and we talked about that for a bit, I offered to show the letter of employment, but the officer declined. She said that there are no concerns on your file, and that she can't say more till she reviews again.

I was informed that the Oath is expected to be in 2 to 4 months. I informed that I may have travel plans not more than 2 weeks long, and if I should inform CIC about them so I do not miss the oath appointment, she said to do so.