+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

worried about delay ... worried about cost of living

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
Hi everybody , qorax, Bala… all

I have 3 clarifications :

1st one : our medical reports ( me and my son ) was sent on 17/09/2011 and till today the consultant is telling me that no updates and still no request to send the passports for visa stamping ( isn’t it late ? is there any worries about that ?).

2nd one :
I went to renew my passport ( since it is valid only for 6 month ahead ) preparing myself to send it for Canadian visa stamping , but in the Egyptian Consulate they informed me that I have to issue a new passport with Bar code , as this passport ( manual) is not existing anymore . So they issued for me a new passport with new number . the question is : when they ask me to send my passport for visa stamping , shall I send both passports to them ( new & old ) , or I have to inform them now that I got a new passport … pls advise me.

3rd. one :
For the 1st six month in Canada ( Toronto ) approximately how much money needed for me and my son for our expenses ? … I mean if I live in an area like Brampton or Kitchener .. actually I don’t have a lot of savings like other people , so I am worried … we will live at the beginning with necessary expenses (basics ) .. pls try to help me in this matter .

Thanks a lot …
Amani

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
Hi

Below are my views:

1. So many candidates like u that took few months after Meds. Do not worry and stay calm.

2. No issue at all. At the time of PPR, send new and original passport to VO along with COPY of old/expired passports only with a explanation letter to justify the change. I experience and acted same way

3. In my view, for family of two, max CAD 2500 per month.

gud luk
asyousuf

sanusiremi

Oct 2, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
JUNE 7 2011
AOR Received.
25TH OCT 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
12-12-11
Med's Done....
19/12/11
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
15/02/2012
VISA ISSUED...
20/02/2012
LANDED..........
03/03/2012
@ Amani,

My advice. If you have little savings, why the choice of Toronto? I think you should check out other provinces which might cost you less.

Remi

yrrej007

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011

this is absolutely nonsense... for 2 people emax exp is CAD 2500 ? then if that is the case there is no point in going to canada......i would say not more than CAD 1500 ......dont misguide the people yousef !!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
yrrej007 said:

this is absolutely nonsense... for 2 people emax exp is CAD 2500 ? then if that is the case there is no point in going to canada......i would say not more than CAD 1500 ......dont misguide the people yousef !!!
Really?

1. Asyousef is fairly a senior member here; and till date all his posts had sincere/invaluable info.
2. Now take this with a pinch of salt : He suggested $2500 - I'd say $3500++ !

Why?
-House Rent: $700-1300 depending on what/where u locate/chose. Anything less than $700 would be shady!
-Heat & Hydro: If u take a condo, add another $100 a month to the above.
-Cable/Internet/Phone: $125-200 depending ur usage/preferance. Anything less than $125 would be tearsome!
-Conveyance: $100-200 depending on ur efficiency. Anything less than $100 would make u immobile!
-Fuel: Add $200-300 on the above if u have a car. Else u r semi-static... not hapenning 4 u here!
-Auto-Ins.: $400-600 if u buy a car. U may chose not to initially... but down 6 months - u must have [else u might be in deep sh1t]!
-Food: $1200-1700 depending on ur livability. Anything less than $1200 - and u aren't 'alive'!
-Outings: $300-700 depending on ur lifestyle. Anything lesser than $300 would make u socially dead!
-Stationery & consumables: $50-100. Anything less than $50 and u r doing nothing!
-Irregular purchases: $250-400. Anything less than $250 is not happening, here...
-Out-of-pocket expenses: $300-500. Else u r impossible, incorrigible, incognito!
-Kid's welfare: $150-250. If u have kids - u'd understand their addnl requirements!
-Childcare: $300-1000 depending on what u chose [pvt unlicensed to proper daycare]. It'd be if u both work & if kids r minors.
-Misc.: $300-500. U never know from where u'd have a bombshell! If not - it'd be ur safety-net.

1. And these r near-bottom monthly calcs... many'd spend more... usually u would too.
2. Total the above & check urself, u'd go beyond $3500/month.
3. U r in North America, my friend, it's a different world [mindset] altogether.
4. Have a Heart -- Live a life... anyone worth his salt would spend that much & beyond!

Qorax
*I visited here b'coz someone PMed me.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For someone who have limited means and want to save some money, i would say that in Brampton or in Mississauga :-
Basement 1 bedroom - $650 (includes, heat, water, laundry, net, cable, free parking)- month to month basis.
Bustravel expense : $ 120 per month( per person)
Grocerries : 150 per adult.( chinese stores, wallmart, freshco,bestco, foodbasics), will have to look for flyres and
discounted sales http://www.grocerysavings.ca/weeklyOnlineFlyers.asp

Misc Exp ( cell phone bill, durables, bit of outing and entertaiment, other pocket exp, medicines, toiletries, treat and drinks for me )- $300 pm

On getting a job and making good $$ one can go lavish, start living in apartment/ condo/ townhouse, start buying at metro, loblaws, weekend bash in downtown, buy expensive car etc etc

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
thanks everybody ,

so i could understand that i can live in Brampton as an example with less cost ... but from Brampton , is it easy to go around and be guided to find a job ? and how about schools and communities , what are the most natunalities living there ? i mean is it safe and good surrounding to grow my son ... he is 11 y old , it is a very critical age as u know all ..

also would like to ask about kitchener and Hamilton , are they also Ok ? is somebody of u living there ... pls give me ur advices ...

note :
a freind of mine told me that , when i reach canada , if i register in a university and start studying , they can give me an education loan , to be returned in instalments when i start working after finishing the studies ... this loan is covering the course itself and the cost of living as well !!! is that true ? or how it works ?

thanks a lot
amani

Paro

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Hi Friends,

I have heard that if i register in a university and start studying , they can give me an education loan , to be returned in installments when i start working after finishing the studies, this loan is covering the course itself and the cost of living as well !!! is that true ? or how it works ? I also want to study further.

Dr. Paro

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Paro said:
Hi Friends,

I have heard that if i register in a university and start studying , they can give me an education loan , to be returned in installments when i start working after finishing the studies, this loan is covering the course itself and the cost of living as well !!! is that true ? or how it works ? I also want to study further.

Dr. Paro
U heard right. E.g. OSAP [Ontario Students' Assistance Program] could cover ur tuition and boarding & lodging expenses as well. Ur program assistant would assist u with the application.

Qorax

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR's do qualify for OSAP, It is quite a easy step to get and is guranteed. Educational Institutions have Financial Officers who help in proceeding with the application. Family consideration like income, bank balance, assets , number of kids, rent/ mtg are considered for the amount of grant. Do note that in case the applicant do not complete the cource due to any reason the entire grant is to be paid back otherwise a part of is to be returned.

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal

yrrej007

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Qorax

what u say is not always right..........be it pinch of salt or butter of salt.............. spending CAD 3500 a month for a new immigrant is as waste of coming to canada for a living..........everyone comes to canada for a living and save money and not to bash up money and enjoy.....im nt sure if you are one of them bcoz u sound so..................

now its doesnt matter yousef is a senior or senior most member.......... they should make sense...............

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
yrrej007 said:
Qorax

what u say is not always right..........be it pinch of salt or butter of salt.............. spending CAD 3500 a month for a new immigrant is as waste of coming to canada for a living..........everyone comes to canada for a living and save money and not to bash up money and enjoy.....im nt sure if you are one of them bcoz u sound so..................

now its doesnt matter yousef is a senior or senior most member.......... they should make sense...............
Really?

With that anticipation/mind-set u might have a serious trouble integrating/settling into this environs. $$$ r not waiting for u here... Stephen Harper wouldn't roll a red carpet for u at the airport. Things would be tough... at least for a couple of yrs. And "savings" might not come thru for many yrs. It'd be a challenge, during the initial yrs., to even make ur both ends meet. U'd be regularly dipping into ur settlement funds...

Said that, ppl, Canada is an awesome country to rare ur families. It's all about living standards. U'd do a yeoman's service to ur kids... Ur future generations will thank u for the struggle u do today for them. It's for them that u r coming here... Definitely not for u... Immigration has never been. The first-time immigrant will always slog, be it Canada or elsewhere.

If $$$ r our foray - we'd do good going to the Middle East* instead. Here it's never about money... it's about a lifestyle change - a lifetime of change - a 'change' that'd blow ur socks away!

The sooner we realize that - the sooner we'd be comfortable/successful, here.

Qorax
*and remember, many like me have moved here from the Middle East.

yrrej007

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
dude i was born and brought up in the middle east and also India.....i know what life is...... to save money you got to play smart and not hard work and calculations....... if you are looking for a life style change as you said then it might be like you may have a big hole in your pockets......but if actually you are looking to make a living and save money it is not impossible...... even in middle east the labours there do make a saving for their family at their native and if that is not possible in canada then canada is the worst place to live !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ash_1967

Jul 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
1231 (1111)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2009
Doc's Request.
01-03-2010
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
01-03-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done on 15/01/2009 and submitted with full docs to Visa Office on 12/03/2010
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Request
01-06-2010 (Received by My Lawyer in Canada on 15-06-2010)
Med's Done....
26-06-2010 and Medical & Passports Sent on 28-06-2010 which Recd by CHC on 29-06-2010
Interview........
Waived by grace of God
Passport Req..
01-06-2010 (Received by My Lawyer in Canada on 15-06-2010)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on 22nd and issued on 22/07/2010 and Received on 24/07/2010 by grace of God
LANDED..........
Still not decided
@All

It is matter of understanding but not the matter of confusion and debate. Everyone having their own style to live and meet the expenses. Rental Basements and Flats are available according to their area and offered facilities. One who is coming to Canada needs to search the cheapest cost of living untill he does not become so capable to meet higher or medium cost of living expenses.

In Canada more than 90% of people fall $2000-2200 /month income bracket. So they try to survive with that income and must save some of amount from that too.

Senior members said correct according to their worth. But a new person needs to live initially with $ 1500-1700 for four members of family. But you can live so so with this cost. If you want to live bit good you need to pay more as Canada is very expensive country. House rent of basement is easily available for $650-$900/month in GTA (All depends the area it exist). Per person Grocery cost is $100-125/month. If you want to have car from very first day than add up $600-800/month as an insurance cost as it is costly for new drivers and I am paying $405/month and gas charges according to needs but minimum is $100/month. Cable and internet some $100/month but some times internet facility may be include in rent so exclude $35/month.

Other than this if parent are working and kids are less than 12 years old than they need day care facility which cost near to $5/hour for one kid. If you initially can live without car than deduct S700/month and add $200/month for public transport (Bus Etc.).

But if you and your kids are ill than doctor fees are free and but need to pay for medicine and medicines are extremely costly.

Hope this wil help.

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
I am really thanking u all for the effort and good information .

What I was thinking is to come to Canada for better future for my son , some people are telling me don’t go , there are no jobs so after 6 month u will be in trouble … some others are telling me u can get a survival job and at the meantime get a part time job so we can survive.
I am not thinking of savings at all , if cost of living for me and my son is around 1500- 1700 CAD, so somehow I can handle with a survival job at the beginning…

I heard about , Kitchener, Brampton, waterloo, Hamilton , which one do u think is convenient for me to live as single mother … I am presently working in banking field ( admin. ) with experience in administration and in hotel business as well for 5 years. Also, I can speak little French …. And I was doing tuition at home ( math , Arabic and French) for primary classes in my home ( Dubai).

So If I go to live in one of the mentioned places (Kitchener, Brampton, Hamilton) it will convenient for us ( good school , reasonable rent, good neighborhood and helpful communities, easy transport ) what do think …..

Note : Regarding the medical expenses, the doctor fees are only covered , what about the medicines , ash_1967 mentioned that they are very expensive and not covered by insurance , here in Dubai all is covered except cosmetics, vitamins and some dental matters.