+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working with student permit, only during semester?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

superman2012 said:
actually I'm now working as a cook now here in Alberta. I've been here for 3 months already and my study will start on September 1st. I think there will be no problem as long as you have a work permit. and I reviewed 100x at CIC website andthere is no statement that we are not allowed to work before the class start. so it means, we ca work while waiting for our class. :)

Incorrect.

If you want to work off campus while you study in Canada, you must:

have a valid study permit,
be a full-time student,
be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level

All you have now is a confirmed admission but not a 'full time & enrolled student' status, you will get it when actual class starts.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
superman2012 said:
actually I'm now working as a cook now here in Alberta. I've been here for 3 months already and my study will start on September 1st. I think there will be no problem as long as you have a work permit. and I reviewed 100x at CIC website andthere is no statement that we are not allowed to work before the class start. so it means, we ca work while waiting for our class. :)
I suggest you take a look at my last post, as quoted directly from Canadian Immigration law.

Immigration law clearly states students can work either during or BETWEEN academic sessions. Working prior to classes starting does not fall into either of those categories and therefore is not allowed.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
superman2012 said:
You were working illegally at that moment. CIC officer mentions that never work before school starts. However, students can work during school and holidays.