+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working with student permit, only during semester?

MrScarface

Jan 18, 2015
Hi there, so with the student permit youre allowed of working a maximum of 20 hours per week either on campus or off campus depending on your permit.

So I was wondering since I was going to go to canada a few months before my course starts, can I already work during that time or am I only allowed to work when my course starts?
I know CIC says I can work full time during scheduled breaks like the winter and summer holidays but does anybody have detailed information about working before you start your program?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you certainly can't. You can only work after your course starts. If you come to Canada early and start working before your courses begin - you'll be working illegally and will be in violation of your study permit. This puts you at risk of having your study permit canceled and being removed from Canada.

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
scylla said:
No - you certainly can't. You can only work after your course starts. If you come to Canada early and start working before your courses begin - you'll be working illegally and will be in violation of your study permit. This puts you at risk of having your study permit canceled and being removed from Canada.
I think you can if you are officially enrolled/registered? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tipsy said:
I think you can if you are officially enrolled/registered? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. You have to wait until classes actually start. Any work ahead of the start of classes is illegal and puts your status in Canada in jeopardy.

cute_guy

Feb 7, 2013
scylla said:
You are wrong. You have to wait until classes actually start. Any work ahead of the start of classes is illegal and puts your status in Canada in jeopardy.
I understand what you are saying is true ..but is there any official warning or caution on CIC website ?? I tried searching but could not find any word on coming before & working thing.

Dennia

Jul 23, 2013
St.John's
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
20-Nov-2008
VISA ISSUED...
03-Dec-2008
LANDED..........
15-Dec-2008
There is no official warning on the website. The reason ur given few weeks or month earlier is to handle the new environment and be ready fr ur college with books and so on. I wouldn't suggest u to work before ur school starts. But I cant disagree with the fact that there are some students making use of this time to work ( Ur always good as long as u dont get caught.If u get caught they will cancel ur permit,without any questions,so be extra careful and dont get misleaded through some bad suggestions by inmates)

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
cute_guy said:
I understand what you are saying is true ..but is there any official warning or caution on CIC website ?? I tried searching but could not find any word on coming before & working thing.
I suggest you inquire in canadian embassy regarding this matter. It is written in new rule that student can work not more than 20hrs/wk and registered as full time student. There is norhing written that classes should start first before u can work. I guess if u r reg as full time and work for 20hrs u are not violating any laws.
this is just my point of view. but again, contact cic and ask to get clear answer.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't wwork before ur school starts.
However, u can apply a job, but not to work.
You must tell to manger, u can work after ur school starts. Ur manger will wait for u. Don't need to hurry much.

Jeordejay07

Jun 13, 2015
Yeah i couldnt see any restrictions stated on my study permit aboventioned, as to the new rule it does not say anything about working prior to the class,.eligibility criteria as long as you are enrolled in a designated learning school you can work either on or off campus,.but stating we cannot work prior class starts it doesnt say anything,.also take a look on ur study permit validity, date issued and expiry, as far as i know as your study permit has been issued meaning you are now considered as a legally international student of canada, just follow the number of hours and restrictions written below your study permit,.cic also didnt say that going to canada earlier means you will just adjust to your new environment, yeah of course but once you are ready i think cic didnt prohibit you from working beforehand,.am i correct,.?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jeordejay07 said:
Yeah i couldnt see any restrictions stated on my study permit aboventioned, as to the new rule it does not say anything about working prior to the class,.eligibility criteria as long as you are enrolled in a designated learning school you can work either on or off campus,.but stating we cannot work prior class starts it doesnt say anything,.also take a look on ur study permit validity, date issued and expiry, as far as i know as your study permit has been issued meaning you are now considered as a legally international student of canada, just follow the number of hours and restrictions written below your study permit,.cic also didnt say that going to canada earlier means you will just adjust to your new environment, yeah of course but once you are ready i think cic didnt prohibit you from working beforehand,.am i correct,.?
If you begin working before your classes start you'll be working illegally and will be in violation of your study permit. If CIC discovers this illegal work, your work permit will be canceled and you'll be told to leave Canada. Your choice what you do.

Jeordejay07

Jun 13, 2015
If you begin working before your classes start you'll be working illegally and will be in violation of your study permit. If CIC discovers this illegal work, your work permit will be canceled and you'll be told to leave Canada. Your choice what you do.
Posted on: June 20, 2015, 10:04:44 pm Posted by: Jeordejay07

Just a quick question, did cic told us not to work yet before commencing of classes,.? Why couldnt we find it in the reatrictions of study permit,.your reply is highly appreciated,.thanx in advance

Jun 21, 2015
Getting work permission while studying French

Do you know if we can get a work permission if I am studying French at a college? I am not sure if language courses also allow us to apply for a work permit.

Also, can we ask for a work permit right after we are approved for the student visa, I mean, even before we leave our country?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

(v) if they are the holder of a study permit and

(i) they are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution as defined in section 211.1,

(ii) the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec, in each case, of a duration of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and

(iii) although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session

The law clearly states students can work either during or BETWEEN academic sessions. Working prior to classes starting does not fall into either of those categories and therefore is not allowed.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
actually I'm now working as a cook now here in Alberta. I've been here for 3 months already and my study will start on September 1st. I think there will be no problem as long as you have a work permit. and I reviewed 100x at CIC website andthere is no statement that we are not allowed to work before the class start. so it means, we ca work while waiting for our class. :)