+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely from Canada for US employer

Vamsi539

Jul 2, 2017
Hello There - I am in the process of applying for Canada PR ( waiting for ITA). My employer allows me to work remotely so I plan to still work in the same company but from Canada.

I wanted to check if FSW/Express entry is the only option to move to Canada (for my situation) ? or are there other ways to speed up Immigration to Canada? Like getting a temporary visa and moving to Canada first and then applying for PR? ( I am thinking more points if I apply being local in Canada)

Thanks
Vamshi

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You only get more points if you have Canadian work experience. Being physically in Canada does not give you more points. For something to count as Canadian work experience - it has to be with a Canadian employer. So working remotely in Canada won't count.

To be able to move to Canada before you have PR, you need to obtain a visa/permit that allows you to do so. There is no such visa for individuals who want to work remotely in Canada. You would need to find an employer in Canada willing to offer you a full time job and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you could apply for a closed work permit. This would allow you to move to Canada.

Express Entry is certainly one way you may be able to immigrate to Canada (provided you meet all of the requirements and have sufficient points). You may also qualify under one of the Provincial Nominee Programs. You'll have to research them and see.

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
Hello There - I am in the process of applying for Canada PR ( waiting for ITA). My employer allows me to work remotely so I plan to still work in the same company but from Canada.

I wanted to check if FSW/Express entry is the only option to move to Canada (for my situation) ? or are there other ways to speed up Immigration to Canada? Like getting a temporary visa and moving to Canada first and then applying for PR? ( I am thinking more points if I apply being local in Canada)

Thanks
Vamshi
What about your visa in usa? In case you are working from Canada remotely

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
I am in the same boat. I work remotely (from home) for my employer on H1B. I am currently a Full Time Employee (FTE), so I get paid regularly. Once I move to Canada I guess my company would move me to FTC (Full Time Consultant) and only pay me when I am staffed on a project.