+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working permit for visitor (Electricians)

Dwins

Nov 1, 2013
Hello, you guys, I m a visitor from Hong kong currently staying in Toronto, I have few questions which are still not clear to me, I wish you guys can help me out…..THX

1. Would that be easy to find a company which can hire me as an electrician without Canadian electrical license?
2. Can I get a job offer while I am already in Canada?
3. Can a tourist visa convert to a work permit in Canada, because most workers got the work permit in oversea before they enter to Canada?
4. Is there any websites can show the employers who are willing to apply LMO for foreigner worker or looking for foreigner workers?
5. Can I still stay in Canada while waiting for the work permit issue?
6. I heard some guy said there is a way to apply a work permit when a visitor who has the valid visa 6 months or more?
7. What is temporary working permit? Can temporary work permit holder apply citizenship at the end?

I think this forum is the best to find out my answers, I wish you guys can help me.
Any suggestion will be highly appreciate.
Thx so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Don't know. Probably difficult. To hire you, an employer must prove they could not find a Canadian for the role.
2. Yes - you can try to get a job offer while you are in Canada.
3. You will have to send the work permit application to the visa office responsible for your home country. Or, if you are visa exempt, you can go to a Canadian land border to obtain a work permit once you have a job offer and LMO
4. No.
5. Only as long as your visitor visa is still valid.
6. See #3
7. A temporary work permit allows you to work in Canada temporarily. No - it cannot lead directly to citizenship. Only permanent residents qualify for citizenship.

Dwins

Nov 1, 2013
Dear scylla;

Thank you very much for your kindly help. Now i've decided to apply a short course in Toronto.

Do you know any colleges or universities have some course which can provide job or work permit at the end?

Once again...Thank you so mcuh..and have a lovely weekend!!!!!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want a work permit after you complete your studies, then you will need to take a course that is a minimum of 8 months long and you will also need a study permit (a study permit is required if you are taking a course that is long than six months). No university or college will provide you with a job or work permit. However you will qualify to apply for a work permit provided you attend a qualifying school and complete minimum of an 8 month diploma.

To be approved for the study permit, you'll need to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans to remain in Canada long term. This means that you should apply for the study permit from your home country (i.e. while you are outside of Canada) if you want the highest chances of approval. You will also need to show sufficient funds to cover your tuition and accommodations. This means you'll need to have a bank balance of somewhere between $20K and $30K to be approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add... The 8 month course must be full time.

Dwins

Nov 1, 2013
Hi,Scylla,Thank you so much for your advices which help me out a lot.
I got your point, but I still can’t find full time diploma course in any college or university for one year study. I got some universities which provide co-operation course, but they accept only post graduate students.
Could you tell me if I study a full time course(8 months or more), I can apply a work permit easily? And I have to work max 40 hours in a week?