+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in the Federal Government with an Open Work Permit

JogianJo

Jan 5, 2024
Good day all,
I am currently a PGWP (open work permit) holder and my Work Permit expires on Jan 2026. I have been applying to govt jobs here and there and since hiring and recruitment is pretty slow in the government, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time and hoping to be hired with my status.
Is it possible for a work permit holder to be hired in the federal government, even as an indeterminate contract (temporary/term) job? I'm just wondering if you guys have any experience or know anyone who has a case like this.

TIA

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good day all,
I am currently a PGWP (open work permit) holder and my Work Permit expires on Jan 2026. I have been applying to govt jobs here and there and since hiring and recruitment is pretty slow in the government, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time and hoping to be hired with my status.
Is it possible for a work permit holder to be hired in the federal government, even as an indeterminate contract (temporary/term) job? I'm just wondering if you guys have any experience or know anyone who has a case like this.

TIA
The posting should tell you if you must be PR or citizen to apply. It will also tell you if you need security clearance

Reactions: canuck78 and scylla

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Good day all,

TIA
Would your government hire a foreign national? Come on, be real..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would your government hire a foreign national? Come on, be real..
The government is a huge employer and provides a huge variety of types of jobs from gardener to politician so yes they employed foreign nationals. As mentioned there are certain jobs where being an PR or citizen is a requirement and some jobs where you must be a citizen which is primarily due to security clearance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day all,

TIA
Would continue applying if you qualify. The finance minister has directed that all departments must cut their budgets property significantly so hiring levels may be lower than they were a few year. As already noted government take a very long time when hiring and interviewing people. There is also not a lot of hiring between late November and early January due to the holidays in Canada except seasonal jobs. Due to the large volume of applicants for many government positions if you know someone who works in the department they may be able to flag your file to be considered for an interview. There are pretty rigid hiring procedures in the government so having a friend or family get you an interview may not be possible like it is in the private sector but still worth a shot.