Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
I plan on working in finance in Canada. I have bachelors in accounting from US.
I have looked up some things like CGA, CMA or CA are pretty common when
people apply for jobs. Now the time to do the above courses is probably 2-3 years.
and i dont want to do that, spend 2-3 working on those courses.
Is it really necessary to have those courses before applying for jobs...
or without the courses, it possible to get a job....may be not high paying...initially...but gradually with experince

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
aashay12 said:
people apply for jobs. Now the time to do the above courses is probably 2-3 years.
or without the courses, it possible to get a job....may be not high paying...initially...but gradually with experince
It all depends on what job you want. If you want to work for an accounting firm, then yes, the designations are required. If you want to work for a bank, or in corporate finance, then the designations won't really help you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
torontosm said:
If you want to work for a bank, or in corporate finance, then the designations won't really help you.
I diagree with this statement. If you want to work for one of the big banks in Canada in a Finance/Accounting then one of these designations is mandatory if you want a position with a decent salary and the possibility of progression to more senior roles.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
scylla said:
I diagree with this statement. If you want to work for one of the big banks in Canada in a Finance/Accounting then one of these designations is mandatory if you want a position with a decent salary and the possibility of progression to more senior roles.
I think there is a misunderstanding of what exactly "finance" entails. As I stated, no accounting designations are required to work in the corporate finance (M&A, investment banking, etc.), personal finance (wealth management, investment advisory, etc.) and numerous other departments within banks. The only departments that may require it are accounting, tax or FP&A.

I have approximately 20 years of banking experience and have worked at various financial institutions in North America. I do not hold any accounting designation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
torontosm said:
I think there is a misunderstanding of what exactly "finance" entails. As I stated, no accounting designations are required to work in the corporate finance (M&A, investment banking, etc.), personal finance (wealth management, investment advisory, etc.) and numerous other departments within banks. The only departments that may require it are accounting, tax or FP&A.

I have approximately 20 years of banking experience and have worked at various financial institutions in North America. I do not hold any accounting designation.
Yes, I think you're right - we have different terms for different things (I also find there's a lack of consistency between the US and Canada). I've worked for 2 of Canada's 5 big banks. In both of the banks where I've worked, the "Corporate Finance" team has been largely made up of CAs/CMAs/CGAs - and Investment Banking and M&A have not rolled up to Corporate Finance (or Finance at all). Investment banking, personal banking, wealth management, etc. are all business lines within the bank - whereas Finance is a corporate function (like marketing, HR, technology, etc.). I agree that CAs/CMAs/CGAs are not required for these business line roles - but different designations may be.

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The jobs are so scarce and candidates are so abundant, that almost everywhere you will see that a qualification is needed. If you want to work in finance but not pure accounting - they will most probably demand CFA (at least level one) to shortlist candidates.
For accounting jobs, without qualifications only assistant accounting or billing clerk jobs will be available. So you can start as accounting technician and take evening courses and exams little by little (long and exhausting path).

aashay12 said:

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
Katayoon said:
The jobs are so scarce and candidates are so abundant, that almost everywhere you will see that a qualification is needed. If you want to work in finance but not pure accounting - they will most probably demand CFA (at least level one) to shortlist candidates.
For accounting jobs, without qualifications only assistant accounting or billing clerk jobs will be available. So you can start as accounting technician and take evening courses and exams little by little (long and exhausting path).
You are scaring me. I'm just a Bachelors of Commerce from India. All I have is 10 years of F&A experience.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
It may not be necessary when looking for jobs but it does increase your value on the job market. Considering you obtained your degree in the US, you should consider obtaining a CPA license in your state(if you are still in the US). The exams can be completed in a year or less plus if you already have the work experience then it's you should get a license. Canadian provincial regulatory bodies recognize US state issued CPA licenses which makes it very easy for you to obtain the CPA license in Canada. Its a smarter and quicker route to obtaining the CGA, CMA etc. it all depends on if you're still in the US and have work experience in the accounting field.

prseeker

Star Member
Jul 10, 2010
next2015,

I already have my CPA license in US. What do you mean by 'CPA license in canada'? Is it recognized in Canada?

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
prseeker said:
next2015,

I already have my CPA license in US. What do you mean by 'CPA license in canada'? Is it recognized in Canada?
The U.S. CPA license is recognised in Canada but not in a way that grants you CPA status automatically. Canadian provinces hold recognition agreements with US states. These agreements make it easier for holders of US state issued CPA licenses to obtain Canadian issued licenses. Usually, you have to register with the provincial body, sit for a reciprocity exam, fulfill the requirement for practical experience and you will be issued a Canadian province CPA license. The process may differ just a little bit by province but generally that's what happens. Currently, they're in the process of unifying all provincial accountancy bodies to have one body for the entire country which will make it easier to move across the provinces.

prseeker

Star Member
Jul 10, 2010
next2015,

I appreciate your response. I thought canada has CGA and CA certifications which are considered equivalent of US CPA. Is CPA Canada recognized by canada job market? I am a licensed CPA from Illinois, USA. How long will it take me to receive CPA Canada license from Ontario?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
prseeker said:
next2015,

I appreciate your response. I thought canada has CGA and CA certifications which are considered equivalent of US CPA. Is CPA Canada recognized by canada job market? I am a licensed CPA from Illinois, USA. How long will it take me to receive CPA Canada license from Ontario?
You would be better served using google. Regardless, here is the information you requested:

http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/1999/1299/f401299a.html

CARE

The IQEX equivalent for U.S. CPAs to obtain Canadian reciprocity is the Chartered Accountants Reciprocity Examination (CARE). CARE is administered to U.S. CPAs and members of the institutes of chartered accountants of England and Wales, Scotland, Ireland, South Africa, and New Zealand.

In Canada, the CA designation is granted by 12 individual provincial and territorial institutes. To become a member of an institute and receive the CA designation, candidates would generally have to--

* earn a university degree and pass selected courses required by the institute, some of which may be part of a degree program;
* work for 30 months in a public accounting firm designated to train students;
* complete the school of accountancy, run by the institute to integrate academic and practical experience and to develop problem-solving and judgment skills; and
* pass the CA profession's 4-day, 16-hour Uniform Final Examination (UFE).

U.S. CPAs and members of the qualifying foreign institutes may bypass the normal procedures via CARE. Upon passing, a CPA will have satisfied all of the necessary educational and examination requirements to become a chartered accountant in Canada.

CARE consists of two three-hour papers written over two consecutive days. It tests knowledge comprehension and limited application of knowledge in the areas of Canadian GAAP, GAAS, taxation, business law, and rules of professional conduct. The five-part structure of the exam with the time allocated to each subject follows:

CARE/Day One Time Allocation
Accounting 80­100 minutes
Auditing 80­100 minutes
CARE/Day Two Time Allocation
Canadian taxation 80­100 minutes
Rules of professional conduct/ethics 49­60 minutes
Canadian business law 32­40 minutes
CARE consists of a mix of multiple-choice and single-subject questions, problems, and short situation cases. The exam does not directly test analysis, synthesis evaluation, or similar higher-order skills. CARE is a closed-book examination offered annually in late October or early November by many of the provincial institutes.

Table 4 contains CARE statistics for all accountants sitting for the exam over the past four years. Passing rates range from 56% to 82% with a mean of 74% over the period. CPAs normally account for about one-third of the total number of CARE candidates. Of the 21 CPA candidates in 1998, 14 passed.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
prseeker said:
next2015,

prseeker,
Yes Canada has the certifications you mentioned. However, there is an ongoing program to unify all provincial bodies under one national body. This has led to the creation of the CPA designation. Once the process is complete, CA and CGA designations will not be used going forward. So yes, the CPA designation is recognised by the job market. For Ontario, please look at the provincial body's site for all the info you need. http://www.cpaontario.ca/Admissions/InternationallyTrainedAccountants/MemberRecipAcctgBody/1010page13478.aspx

Maytoss

Star Member
Feb 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Waiting
NOC Code......
Not yet decided
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Hi,

I think this thread will help me in both in my career and landing to Canada, as I'm desperately searching the way for it.
For that I am ready to pursue the CMA-US from one of the Institute in INdia , but
my query is will that recognized in Canada??

Second Query : is there any Job portal/consultant to get the Job offer so that I can apply Work Permit visa..??And later point I can apply for PR .

Please see the details below:

My JD is matches to NOC 1111 & 1112
and I have 13 years over all exp and from past 2 years I'm doing business along with my friend.
I'm married and have two kids (both less than 7 years)
I have sufficient settlement funds for four people.
IELTS L&R 5.5 and W&S 6. overall 6
Masters degree through distance.(ECA done) .
My Age 38 years

Rgds
Maytoss

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Maytoss said:
Hi,

I think this thread will help me in both in my career and landing to Canada, as I'm desperately searching the way for it.
For that I am ready to pursue the CMA-US from one of the Institute in INdia , but
my query is will that recognized in Canada??

Second Query : is there any Job portal/consultant to get the Job offer so that I can apply Work Permit visa..??And later point I can apply for PR .

Please see the details below:

My JD is matches to NOC 1111 & 1112
and I have 13 years over all exp and from past 2 years I'm doing business along with my friend.
I'm married and have two kids (both less than 7 years)
I have sufficient settlement funds for four people.
IELTS L&R 5.5 and W&S 6. overall 6
Masters degree through distance.(ECA done) .
My Age 38 years

Rgds
Maytoss
The CMA-US designation is not recognized in Canada. However, you can consult with the CMA Canada site for guidance on how to integrate. Also as mentioned in one of the posts above, Canada is changing the structure of regulation of the accounting profession. In Ontario, they will no longer issue the CMA designation, its all going to be CPA now. Simply put, you have to do quite a bit of research - there's a lot of changes happening both at provincial and national level. That said, do not be discouraged just do more research.

As far as job portals are concerned the best options are www.jobbank.gc.ca , www.indeed.ca.

I would advise you to do both - apply for any jobs on the sites above and also submit a PR application through the next Express Entry system. The earlier you do this the better as the first draw to invite applicants happens this month. Visit this site for info on the Express Entryhttp://www.canadavisa.com