+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada with a DUI (TPR)

seithr

Oct 17, 2018
Hi, I am a New Zealand citizen and I'm wanting to move to Canada to work in the Visual Effects industry. However I am very worried about a DUI I had about 8 years ago when I was young and stupid (this is my only offence). Everything I have read online indicates that there is a very slim chance that I will be able to gain entry for work purposes with this on my record. I have read that the law was recently changed and that you may not enter if you have a conviction within 10 years. Usually the company will sponsor my visa, but if its a smaller studio I may have to apply for a working holiday visa.

I've read there are 2 options, apply for a TPR, or criminal rehabilitation. TPR is my only option as criminal rehabilitation takes far too long to process.

Could someone please shed some light on the whole TPR process for someone in my position? Also, I know this could be pretty costly to apply for. Is it even worth applying for and wasting $$ or is it too risky? What are the chances of it even going through?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I am a New Zealand citizen and I'm wanting to move to Canada to work in the Visual Effects industry. However I am very worried about a DUI I had about 8 years ago when I was young and stupid (this is my only offence). Everything I have read online indicates that there is a very slim chance that I will be able to gain entry for work purposes with this on my record. I have read that the law was recently changed and that you may not enter if you have a conviction within 10 years. Usually the company will sponsor my visa, but if its a smaller studio I may have to apply for a working holiday visa.

I've read there are 2 options, apply for a TPR, or criminal rehabilitation. TPR is my only option as criminal rehabilitation takes far too long to process.

Could someone please shed some light on the whole TPR process for someone in my position? Also, I know this could be pretty costly to apply for. Is it even worth applying for and wasting $$ or is it too risky? What are the chances of it even going through?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks!
I'm not sure what new law you are referring to. Can you provide a link? Assuming you blew 0.08 or over, based on the info you've provided you are currently inadmissible to Canada.

Applying for rehabilitation is the "right" thing to do. Processing can sometimes be done in a matter of months but can also sometimes take over a year. Hard to say what the chances of the TRP are - but probably on the lower end. TRPs are typically for situations where someone has a strong need to be in Canada (e.g. they have a minor child who lives here). Typically wanting to work in Canada isn't regarded as a strong reason for wanting to be here. Processing for TRP applications typically takes a few months.

FYI - A working holiday visa will only be approved if you apply for rehabilitation and are approved.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Appreciate any advice

Thanks!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/permits/eligibility-assessment.html

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I'm not sure what new law you are referring to. Can you provide a link? Assuming you blew 0.08 or over, based on the info you've provided you are currently inadmissible to Canada.

Applying for rehabilitation is the "right" thing to do. Processing can sometimes be done in a matter of months but can also sometimes take over a year. Hard to say what the chances of the TRP are - but probably on the lower end. TRPs are typically for situations where someone has a strong need to be in Canada (e.g. they have a minor child who lives here). Typically wanting to work in Canada isn't regarded as a strong reason for wanting to be here. Processing for TRP applications typically takes a few months.

FYI - A working holiday visa will only be approved if you apply for rehabilitation and are approved.
1, As of Dec 19 the maximum sentence for DUI will be go up to 10 years, so it will be serious criminality and no longer will a person be eligible for deemed rehabilitation.

seithr

Oct 17, 2018
Hey, thanks for the replies. I have a question though, with the law changing in December, is it worth attempting to submit a rehabilitation application right now? Will all applications submitted before December be affected by that law change as well? I have also just submitted my application for an ETA just in case although I'm sure it will be denied due to the DUI.