+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit for refugees

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
You are getting medical section because you already had a medical exam performed within the last 12 months. When did you did your medicals?
Do you have your Ime number?
Didnt you include your medical confirmation with your pr application?

Contact the doctor and get your medical information/confirmation from him. Anyone who do a medical has a proof
Did my medicals in Feb15. I dont have the IME.
I will have to look into this.
Thanks

CanDude76

Feb 2, 2016
Dear Experts,
I was a refugee claimant here. I have received a positive response from Immigration and Refugee Board and they accepted me as a “Convention Refugee” in January 2016.
My home country is a Pakistan and my family is in back home.
My first question is that now onward what are the things / procedures I have to follow for becoming Permanent Resident.
What procedures I have to follow to get the legal Job, social insurance number or work permit. How I can apply for health card and bank account.
The most important question how long it will take to reach my family from Pakistan to Canada and what are the procedures I have to follow for the family reunion.
I was not allowed to work before this decision so it's very difficult to pay for any legal assistance so I need that information too.
Your reply in this regard will be highly appreciated.
Kind regards,

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
What procedures I have to follow to get the legal Job, social insurance number or work permit. How I can apply for health card and bank account.
A refugeee claimaint can apply for work permit even before he gets a decision on his case/hearing. If you have not applied for the work permit then you can do it now.

Health Card: every province has its own requirements so simply goto your nearest registry office and get the requirements. As of in Alberta you just need your refugee claimaint ID,notice of decision and a proof of address..thats it and you get your Health card mailed to you in 4-5 working days.

Work permit:
it is very simple you can either choose to submit a papper application or apply online. you can go back few pages of this Topic and you will find that i have posted step-by step instructions how to apply a work permit onine. You do not have to pay for open work permit. its free for refugees.

Once you get your work permit Get your Sin number by visiting service "canada office/center" near you. you will get your SIN number instantly the same day.

once you get your work permit in hand you are good to apply any job and work anywhere in canada.

The most important question how long it will take to reach my family from Pakistan to Canada and what are the procedures I have to follow for the family reunion.
When you submit your PR application just select them as accompanying dependents when filling your Pr application, provide relavent documents (birthcertificates, identities etc)..and thats it.

London office (who deals in Islamabad pr files) has its own timeline, so no one can guess how long it can take. if you are lucky it can be approx 2 years from today...but you never know it can be earlier (as the new government has good intentions related to family re-union)

Hope it helps

CanDude76

Feb 2, 2016
Dear Kriv,
thanks for your expert opinion.
great help, if possible, share the procedure of applying work permit once again for new readers that will be great assistance.
regards,

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
CanDude76 said:
Dear Kriv,
thanks for your expert opinion.
great help, if possible, share the procedure of applying work permit once again for new readers that will be great assistance.
regards,
If you want to apply online.... these are the steps:-

First determine your eligibility to apply online goto this link ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp )
step 1: Fill out the complete online questionnaire from the above link
Step 2: on the completion of step 1 you will get a CODE, Write it down on a paper
step 3: create a Mycic account (GCkey signup) using the above CODE ( following the instructions while creating account and i suggest to write down all the security question and answer at a safe place so that you do not forget what you typed there)
step 4: Based on your questionnaire you answered in step 1, your Mycic account will automatically be consisting the application forms which you have to submit ( download them)
step 5: upload all the forms once filled,your photo and documents etc whatever is requested in your Mycic account
Step 6: once everything completed Submit your application for processing.

-uploading supporting documents: scan them all, paste them in a word document file and upload them.
-After submitting wait for the outcome, they will notify about any updates in your Mycic account by sending you an email.
-you will get your application receipt, acknowledgement of application received and file number almost instantly or in few hours.

If you want to submit a Paper application:
goto
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/index.asp
find your application and follow the instructions.

Hope it helps

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
I am not sure if you already received it or not but the last time I applied it took them 2 months to send me the work permit. I think they waited couple weeks before the current one expires to send me the new one.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
hi guys
Do u know for extended work permit ,when you can apply for it? I think now processing time changed so 3 months before it s fine for extension?

htomka

Sep 8, 2015
Hello
I noticed that I got a refund from CIC.
The amount of money is exactly the same I paid for my work permit.
Received my new (2nd) work permit about 2 months ago.
Didn't request any refund.
Still in the process of getting PR.

Does anybody have any idea about that?

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
htomka said:
Hello
I noticed that I got a refund from CIC.
The amount of money is exactly the same I paid for my work permit.
Received my new (2nd) work permit about 2 months ago.
Didn't request any refund.
Still in the process of getting PR.

Does anybody have any idea about that?
As far as i know, applying for a work permit as a refugee is free, unless you got refused and you try to renew it, then you have to pay.

In your case, you were accepted therefore you got the refund.

htomka

Sep 8, 2015
@Taxed
It makes sense that it should be free, but when I applied I didn's see any option like 'free for protected person'.

Thank you for the reply.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
You made me doubt myself for a second, so i looked it up again just for the peace of mind lol

Note: If you are a Refugee Claimant for whom no final decision has been made, or you have found to be a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person, you need not pay the processing fee for work permits, study permits, or temporary resident permits

glennchu

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
kriv said:
Taxed is right... for a protected person it is free...100% :)
Good Afternoon Kriv,

I read all 5 pages of this post and it has solved almost 90% of my queries and problems.
My work permit expired this month 5th March 2017. I realized it yesterday that it has been expired and I am no longer eligible to work legally. My refugee case has been accepted since last December, when I received a Letter stating that I can now apply for open workpermit.

I just filled my IMM5710E FORM. I filled it as true as possible and validated it. When I browse my document and click upload it is giving the following error: Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form.

Would you be able to guide me what I am doing wrong now? Am i even eligible to apply for Open Work Permit now that it has already been expired 2 weeks ago? Kindly help me.

For now, I have resigned from my job with Immediate effect. But I have received my pay check beyond 5th March. Please helPPP!