+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension

1derfool

Feb 23, 2010
I have an Indian Passport ..i completed my post graduate diploma ( 8 months ) from Humber College in canada in wireless telecom. now iam on open work permit....which valid till June 30 2010...I just got a permanent job offer with one of the most popular telecommunication companies in Canada and the job falls in my field of work................i am going to apply for my permanent residency any day now, but before that i need to sort out my work permit issues( because my pr will take longer than the expiry date of my work permit)
If somebody could be kind enough to guide me as to what needs to be done in order for my work permit to be extended beyond June and also is it a difficult or simple procedure ? would my company be willing to do that for me ?
Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1derfool said:
I have an Indian Passport ..i completed my post graduate diploma ( 8 months ) from Humber College in canada in wireless telecom. now iam on open work permit....which valid till June 30 2010...I just got a permanent job offer with one of the most popular telecommunication companies in Canada and the job falls in my field of work................i am going to apply for my permanent residency any day now, but before that i need to sort out my work permit issues( because my pr will take longer than the expiry date of my work permit)
If somebody could be kind enough to guide me as to what needs to be done in order for my work permit to be extended beyond June and also is it a difficult or simple procedure ? would my company be willing to do that for me ?
Regards
The employer would have to obtain an approved LMO (Labour market opinion) from HRSDC. Basically the employer has to advertise the position on the job bank for 2 weeks. They then have to demonstrate to HRSDC that there are no Canadians or PRs available for the job. If the LMO is approved, then you can apply for a work permit.

PMM

1derfool

Feb 23, 2010
would a large company care to do that for me ? considering the fact that i just joined the company... i mean i just wanna confirm before actually asking them lolz
has anybody had similar experiences ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well, they hired you knowing your work permit would expire, yes? Does the company have other foreign workers, maybe they can tell you.

You don't really have much of a choice but to ask them, eh? My org did it for my first work permit, and the new LMO application has been submitted for my renewal...

anita70

Feb 19, 2010
Hi PMM,
Is it mandatory to advertise in the job bank even if you are changing from PG work permit to HRSDC. My lawyer told me that you don't need to do that. Please clarify.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anita70 said:
Hi PMM,
Is it mandatory to advertise in the job bank even if you are changing from PG work permit to HRSDC. My lawyer told me that you don't need to do that. Please clarify.
Yes, your lawyer maybe should read the following: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/fwp_forms.shtml#H05

PMM

1derfool

Feb 23, 2010
Lets say a company like Rogers or BELL hires a foreign worker with a valid open work permit ( after completing a course) , as in MY case !!!

Being a genuine and huge company( as almost everybody, including government knows) , do they still have to do the LMO procedure for extending my work permit ? they recently had interviews and had posted the job opening on their website for more than 14 days.

considering the fact that LMO is mostly done to seperate the genuine companies from the fake ones ? my work permit is expiring on Jun 30 and i still have to speak with my company about it. I am scared that they might remove me lolz.

must mention that they did ask me about my passport/work permit during interview, but i just said that i have already applied for my PR ( i honestly have) but it will surely take longer than the 30June. after june 30 i just have to leave canada lolz ??????? im freaked out !!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
1derfool said:
Lets say a company like Rogers or BELL hires a foreign worker with a valid open work permit ( after completing a course) , as in MY case !!!

Being a genuine and huge company( as almost everybody, including government knows) , do they still have to do the LMO procedure for extending my work permit ? they recently had interviews and had posted the job opening on their website for more than 14 days.

considering the fact that LMO is mostly done to seperate the genuine companies from the fake ones ? my work permit is expiring on Jun 30 and i still have to speak with my company about it. I am scared that they might remove me lolz.

must mention that they did ask me about my passport/work permit during interview, but i just said that i have already applied for my PR ( i honestly have) but it will surely take longer than the 30June. after june 30 i just have to leave canada lolz ??????? im freaked out !!!!
Not really for this reason. Employers need to show that they tried to recruit Canadian citizens or permanent residents before offering it to a foreign worker. So if no one applied or no one is qualified among the said Canadian and PR applicants, after the mandatory advertisement period, the employer can then submit the LMO application. Better let them know now that you may need LMO and if you are a "keeper" then they can apply for LMO in your name.

tugga82

Dec 15, 2009
PMM,
For employers hiring someone on PG Work Permit, when it expires, although they have to obtain LMO, they need not prove recruitment efforts..Please read the instructions in HSRDC for PGWP and LMOs.

PMM said:
Hi

The employer would have to obtain an approved LMO (Labour market opinion) from HRSDC. Basically the employer has to advertise the position on the job bank for 2 weeks. They then have to demonstrate to HRSDC that there are no Canadians or PRs available for the job. If the LMO is approved, then you can apply for a work permit.

PMM

sujeetss

Aug 4, 2010
Hi 1derfool,

I am telecom professional from India with an total experience of 7 years. I am looking for job opportunities in Canada. I am interested in the course that you did from Humber Institute. If you can provide me more infor on the Job prospects in Telecom in Canada after this course.

THanks,

Sujeet

Danison

Nov 13, 2010
Hii all i am working in
Fort Mcmurray is a city in North of Canada in provinces of Alberta. I've worked here for around 2 years in the oil patch , right now i have work permitt visa i want to convert it in permanent so would any one suggest me how it is possible??

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Hi Danison,

You have to read the basics on the CIC website under Immigration section.
You can qualify under Canadian experience class IF you worked at least two years in Canada, your occupation falls in NOC 0, A or B class (experienced) and testify your English language skills by taking a language exam. You will find all the necessary requirements under Experience class and how to apply on cic.gc.ca

Sep 4, 2010
Hello

I am on Post Grad Work Permit and working with BELL .
I am just wondering did u get extension in ur work permit?

Thanks and Regards

Abu Ramil
647-835-8246

PMM said:
Hi

PMM

hasandirect

Apr 11, 2011
Dear 1derfool,

I have been accepted in George Brown for wireless networking and Also in Humber for Wireless telecom. As you already gone through the process plz help me decide which one to choose interms of better job prospects. which college is better?

sunny singh

Jun 2, 2011
@hasan m goin in wireless telecomm in humber sept 2011.... wat about u if u wana contact u can chk in to xemour@gmail.com