+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension (Oct, Nov or Dec, 2015) online or paper base applicants

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
Hello people of this thread. Can someone P L E A S E give me some clear information on HOW to apply for a PGWP extension upon passport renewal. My PGWP was only given to me for 8 months with a note saying "further extensions upon passport renewal". I have renewed my passport. I cant find any info and cant seem to get a hold of a service agent! I would GREATLY appreciate any answers!!

1) Based on what I've read - the application is paper only? True or false?
2) Is there a fee? If so how much and how do I pay for it?
3) Do I need to include a letter of explanation?
4) What other photocopies or documents do I need to provide apart from a copy of my passport first and last page?
5) My PGWP is an open work permit, I have a full-time job but I'm guessing I dont need to provide any job/employer documents since its an open work permit?

Sorry I dont mean to be babied, but I think this is a great resource and I would love to have answers from someone who recently did this..
Again I look forward to replies!! THANKS!

GG kaur

Apr 18, 2016
frustrated121 said:
Hello people of this thread. Can someone P L E A S E give me some clear information on HOW to apply for a PGWP extension upon passport renewal. My PGWP was only given to me for 8 months with a note saying "further extensions upon passport renewal". I have renewed my passport. I cant find any info and cant seem to get a hold of a service agent! I would GREATLY appreciate any answers!!

4) What other photocopies or documents do I need to provide apart from a copy of my passport first and last page?
5) My PGWP is an open work permit, I have a full-time job but I'm guessing I dont need to provide any job/employer documents since its an open work permit?
I HAD SAME PROBLEM
I APPLIED THROUGH PAPER
YES $155
YES YOU NEED A LETTER OF EXPLANATION
ALL PHOTOCOPIES INCLUDING TRANSCRIPT. ITS IN THE DOCUMENT CHECKLIST OF IMM 5556
ITS NOT IMPORTANT TO ATTACH JOB LETTER . BUT I DID.
MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT EVERYTHING CORRECTLY BECAUSE PROCESSING TIME IS TO LONG AND ITS REALLY HARD TO WAIT. IF YOU CAN CONSULT ANY CONSULTANT IT IS GOOD MAY BE THEY KNOW TO DO ONLINE BECAUSE FOR ONLINE IT IS ONLY 28 DAYS NOW AND FOR PAPER APPLICATION-114

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
GG kaur said:
frustrated121 said:

I HAD SAME PROBLEM
I APPLIED THROUGH PAPER
YES $155
MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT EVERYTHING CORRECTLY BECAUSE PROCESSING TIME IS TO LONG AND ITS REALLY HARD TO WAIT. IF YOU CAN CONSULT ANY CONSULTANT IT IS GOOD MAY BE THEY KNOW TO DO ONLINE BECAUSE FOR ONLINE IT IS ONLY 28 DAYS NOW AND FOR PAPER APPLICATION-114
Thank you for the info! I also managed to speak to a friend about it who was in the same boat. He said the fee is $255 not $155.

I'm not sure if I'm wrong but I'm not worried about it taking time as long as I submit it before it expires which is 2 months from now. If i apply before it expires then I can continue working under "implied status" so no worries?

GG kaur

Apr 18, 2016
GG kaur said:
frustrated121 said:

I HAD SAME PROBLEM
I APPLIED THROUGH PAPER
YES $155
frustrated121 said:
Thank you for the info! I also managed to speak to a friend about it who was in the same boat. He said the fee is $255 not $155.

I'm not sure if I'm wrong but I'm not worried about it taking time as long as I submit it before it expires which is 2 months from now. If i apply before it expires then I can continue working under "implied status" so no worries?
Yes please Double Check FEES I think i wrote wrong it's $255 . Ya u can continue working but if u don't want to be under implied status . Go to border and do flag poling.

fol

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frustrated121 said:

If its restoration you need to go online cic.gc.ca and search for the work permit extension then read the guide. or better call cic.gc.ca. You better submit all your valid requirements correctly coz you will lose it and you need to go back to your own country. Thats your 2nd chance and for you to avoid waste of money.

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
fol said:
If its restoration you need to go online cic.gc.ca and search for the work permit extension then read the guide. or better call cic.gc.ca. You better submit all your valid requirements correctly coz you will lose it and you need to go back to your own country. Thats your 2nd chance and for you to avoid waste of money.

Not sure what you mean by "restoration". PGWP are supposed to be valid/given for 3 years. Mine was only given to me for 8 months due to the fact that my passport was expiring. Thus all Im doing is sending them my new passport (photocopies) along with all other documents and asking them to give me the remainder of the 3 years..I dont see how they could penalize me if there is a minor mistake in my application in which case THERE WONT BE. I will call CIC again and triple check I am doing this the right way.

I love Canada but am not a fan of this process, the ridiculously long processing times and the vagueness when it comes to certain situations such as this. From what I gather, CIC does not have a system for PGWP extensions based on passport renewals. Which is why it has to be mailed in with a letter of explanation. They should have a system set up online for this. But I'm sure they will get there.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
umarbilal32141 said:
The long wait is overrrrrr.... Got my work permit!!!
Date Applied: October 26, 2015
Date Approved: May 25, 2016
Congrats, was it paper based application?

tnxs

fol

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any update about paper based. January, february and march applicant?

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
So I got my checklist for my WP extension (same employer) but it seems to include the Employer Questionnaire and Declaration form, which indeed was required last year, but this year I can't find it anywhere! does that mean it's a system glitch, or is the form available somewhere? Help :/

fol

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lady_Ashka said:
So I got my checklist for my WP extension (same employer) but it seems to include the Employer Questionnaire and Declaration form, which indeed was required last year, but this year I can't find it anywhere! does that mean it's a system glitch, or is the form available somewhere? Help :/
maybe thats the checklist for PR application