+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience and proof of funds

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hello guys,
I’m having some doubts regarding my work experience and my bank statement.
I’m a medical resident in Brazil, and I make about 1500CAD/month. This is the way that I’m going to prove that I have 2 years of work experience.
However, I work as well as a doctor in an intensive care unit, but as an autonomous worker, therefore, proving this kind of work experience would be much harder, and I didn’t like to declare this. It would be in the same NOC, but the amount I make in the latter is at least 4 times bigger.
I have a doubt when it comes to the bank statement, since it’s obligatory to declare the last 6 months balances and it would have a discrepancy regarding my monthly salary and the work experience salary.
I would like to know if it’s obligatory to declare the salary in the work experience form. and I would like to know if this discrepancy of salary between those two would pose as a problem for the IRCC.
Another thing is that my spouse is not going to send proof of work experience, since there’s no work experience in Canada. the only points coming from my spouse are the language test and degree. Can this be a problem as well?
In the bank statement, I have to state an equivalent of Canadian dollars to my local currency?
thanks so much in advance

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello guys,
I’m having some doubts regarding my work experience and my bank statement.
I’m a medical resident in Brazil, and I make about 1500CAD/month. This is the way that I’m going to prove that I have 2 years of work experience.
However, I work as well as a doctor in an intensive care unit, but as an autonomous worker, therefore, proving this kind of work experience would be much harder, and I didn’t like to declare this. It would be in the same NOC, but the amount I make in the latter is at least 4 times bigger.
I have a doubt when it comes to the bank statement, since it’s obligatory to declare the last 6 months balances and it would have a discrepancy regarding my monthly salary and the work experience salary.
I would like to know if it’s obligatory to declare the salary in the work experience form. and I would like to know if this discrepancy of salary between those two would pose as a problem for the IRCC.
Another thing is that my spouse is not going to send proof of work experience, since there’s no work experience in Canada. the only points coming from my spouse are the language test and degree. Can this be a problem as well?
In the bank statement, I have to state an equivalent of Canadian dollars to my local currency?
thanks so much in advance
1. POF - from what I see, your monthly salary would be higher compared to your residency salary, right? That's fine by IRCC. It is common, people have other sources of income and it doesn't create any issue (e.g. owning real estate and getting rental income won't create issues).
2. Move your DEPENDENT spouse's work history to personal history. I did the same for my dependant spouse too. I never uploaded any documents for my spouse's work exp as personal history never requires it.
3. It depends upon your currency. It is safer to have $500-$1,000 CAD extra on top of required POF if your currency fluctuates a lot in comparison to CAD. About showing CAD equivalency, it is good if you can get it. Personally, my bank never offered it and I attached mine with only the local currency in it. It worked well for me, but it is your call.

Reactions: gschostack

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
1. POF - from what I see, your monthly salary would be higher compared to your residency salary, right? That's fine by IRCC. It is common, people have other sources of income and it doesn't create any issue (e.g. owning real estate and getting rental income won't create issues).
2. Move your DEPENDENT spouse's work history to personal history. I did the same for my dependant spouse too. I never uploaded any documents for my spouse's work exp as personal history never requires it.
3. It depends upon your currency. It is safer to have $500-$1,000 CAD extra on top of required POF if your currency fluctuates a lot in comparison to CAD. About showing CAD equivalency, it is good if you can get it. Personally, my bank never offered it and I attached mine with only the local currency in it. It worked well for me, but it is your call.
First of all, thanks so much for the answers!
1 - yes, my monthly salary is higher than the one I’m declaring in my work experience. So, it isn’t necessary to explain why I’m getting this extra money, correct?
2 - In my profile submission, I didn’t declare my spouse work, since it would not give me any points. Is it ok to add the work history in the personal history section, even though I didn’t declare to get the ITA?
3 - regarding my proof of funds, I have more money than necessary, it’s not a concern. However, I’d like to know if it’s compulsory to declare the money in Canadian dollars (for example: 3 Brazilian reais = 1 cad). Or is it ok to just declare it in my local currency ?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
First of all, thanks so much for the answers!
1 - yes, my monthly salary is higher than the one I’m declaring in my work experience. So, it isn’t necessary to explain why I’m getting this extra money, correct?
2 - In my profile submission, I didn’t declare my spouse work, since it would not give me any points. Is it ok to add the work history in the personal history section, even though I didn’t declare to get the ITA?
3 - regarding my proof of funds, I have more money than necessary, it’s not a concern. However, I’d like to know if it’s compulsory to declare the money in Canadian dollars (for example: 3 Brazilian reais = 1 cad). Or is it ok to just declare it in my local currency ?
1. No issues at all. When they evaluate POF, they just want to make sure that you have enough funds to sustain yourself. The extra amount isn't going to create issues for you.
2. Nothing to worry about. It is always a good idea to move the work exp of dependent (if you are not getting any points) to personal history and just write a line or a few words describing it. I hadn't listed my spouse's complete work exp before getting the ITA either, but I listed everything in the personal history (including any career breaks/gaps).
3. If you can get the POF letter amount written in CAD from your bank, it will be better.

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
1. No issues at all. When they evaluate POF, they just want to make sure that you have enough funds to sustain yourself. The extra amount isn't going to create issues for you.
2. Nothing to worry about. It is always a good idea to move the work exp of dependent (if you are not getting any points) to personal history and just write a line or a few words describing it. I hadn't listed my spouse's complete work exp before getting the ITA either, but I listed everything in the personal history (including any career breaks/gaps).
3. If you can get the POF letter amount written in CAD from your bank, it will be better.
And regarding my other work, the one that I didn’t declare. Do you think it’s necessary do put it in my personal history? Or just ignore it?
in the personal history of my spouse, just saying the name of the post and briefly explaining the job is sufficient? Or is it essential to describe thoroughly just as in a letter from an employer?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
And regarding my other work, the one that I didn’t declare. Do you think it’s necessary do put it in my personal history? Or just ignore it?
in the personal history of my spouse, just saying the name of the post and briefly explaining the job is sufficient? Or is it essential to describe thoroughly just as in a letter from an employer?
I run 4 other small business on the side while having a full time job. I only used my FT job in EE. I'd skip the other job (personal preference, keeps documentation simple).

About your spouse - you won't have to attach any documents in personal history.

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
I run 4 other small business on the side while having a full time job. I only used my FT job in EE. I'd skip the other job (personal preference, keeps documentation simple).

About your spouse - you won't have to attach any documents in personal history.
That’s what I wanted to hear!!
thanks so much
Are there other key items that should always be present at the personal history section? How many pages are expected in each section?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
That’s what I wanted to hear!!
thanks so much
Are there other key items that should always be present at the personal history section? How many pages are expected in each section?
The personal history section should reflect all history e.g. employment, career breaks, etc. I'm not sure about what you are asking in the question. When I filled my spouse's personal history form, I create sections for each entry and then just wrote a line or two inside each. Kept it very brief.

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
That’s perfect.
I got my degree in 2020 and started residency in 2021. From 2020 to 2021 I worked in a ICU unit. Do you think it’s ok to put this work in the gap or it’s better to say that I was unemployed? Can I say that I worked in this icu from 2020 to 2023 or it’s better to say 2020 to 2021?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
That’s perfect.
I got my degree in 2020 and started residency in 2021. From 2020 to 2021 I worked in a ICU unit. Do you think it’s ok to put this work in the gap or it’s better to say that I was unemployed? Can I say that I worked in this icu from 2020 to 2023 or it’s better to say 2020 to 2021?
You shouldn't have any unexplained gaps. If as a primary applicant, you were working between 2020-2021, I'll include that under your work experience. If there are unexplained gaps, you are likely to get a Schedule A request.

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
You shouldn't have any unexplained gaps. If as a primary applicant, you were working between 2020-2021, I'll include that under your work experience. If there are unexplained gaps, you are likely to get a Schedule A request.
Ok then!
but since it’s basically the same NOC, it’s ok to not Have a reference letter because I didn’t gain any points for this to get an ITA, right?
but it would be better to input from 2020 to 2023 or just 2020 to 2021 to fill the gap?
thanks so much

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Ok then!
but since it’s basically the same NOC, it’s ok to not Have a reference letter because I didn’t gain any points for this to get an ITA, right?
but it would be better to input from 2020 to 2023 or just 2020 to 2021 to fill the gap?
thanks so much
I didn't get you there. Is your like this:

Job title, same employer
2020-2021

Job title, same employer
2021-2023

Or

Job title 1, same employer
2020-2021

Job title 2, same employer
2021-2023

Or

Job title 1, employer 1
2020-2021

Job title 2, employer 2
2021-2023

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021

Job title, same employer
2020-2021

Job title, same employer
2021-2023

Or

2020-2021

2021-2023

Or

Job title 1, employer 1
2020-2021

Job title 2, employer 2
2021-2023
Neither of these options lol

it’s actually
2020 - 2023 ICU doctor
2021 - 2023 medical resident (work that I’ll have a reference letter)
So it would be better to tell the truth and say that I worked in an icu until march of 2023 or just say that I worked in the gap year?

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021

Job title, same employer
2020-2021

Job title, same employer
2021-2023

Or

2020-2021

2021-2023

Or

Job title 1, employer 1
2020-2021

Job title 2, employer 2
2021-2023
Do you know witch way is best?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Neither of these options lol

it’s actually
2020 - 2023 ICU doctor
2021 - 2023 medical resident (work that I’ll have a reference letter)
So it would be better to tell the truth and say that I worked in an icu until march of 2023 or just say that I worked in the gap year?
IMO, you can't leave a gap for 2020-2021. Is it impossible to get this reference letter?