+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work authorization while I am waiting for my sposal open work permit (Inside Canada)

RM79

Jun 22, 2022
I am applying for a spousal open work permit (SOWP) inside canada. My spouse has an after-graduation work permit. My spouse is applying to extend her after-graduation work permit and I have applied for a SOWP with her, under the same application. I was wondering if I can send a web form and apply for work authorization and start working while our application for a work permit is processing?

I am currently a student and have my study permit, but I would like to start working ASAP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am applying for a spousal open work permit (SOWP) inside canada. My spouse has an after-graduation work permit. My spouse is applying to extend her after-graduation work permit and I have applied for a SOWP with her, under the same application. I was wondering if I can send a web form and apply for work authorization and start working while our application for a work permit is processing?

I am currently a student and have my study permit, but I would like to start working ASAP.
No - you need to wait for the SOWP to be approved before you can start working full time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply!
what is the eligibility for work authorization?
I assume you are asking about the interim authorization to work. If so, this only applies to situations where an individual has applied for a closed / employer-specific work permit. Since you are applying for an open work permit, you do not qualify. Public policy is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html

You have to wait for the SOWP to be approved before you can stop attending school and start working full time.

RAKZ

Star Member
Dec 31, 2019
Hi. I appreciate your suggestion. My closed work permit expires on June 16, and I am still in Canada awaiting a new appointment letter from a different employer. Could you please advise whether I can stay legally in Canada while waiting for a new appointment letter to apply for the work permit?

Zara21

Jul 9, 2022
I assume you are asking about the interim authorization to work. If so, this only applies to situations where an individual has applied for a closed / employer-specific work permit. Since you are applying for an open work permit, you do not qualify. Public policy is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html

You have to wait for the SOWP to be approved before you can stop attending school and start working full time.
Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate it.