+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdraw PR status

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Hi Members,

Does anyone know how to withdraw PR status? I have read on some other forums said that the person needs to file some sort of application for have their PR status to be officially cancelled. Is that true and where can I get the information about it? Thanks

josedavid

Sep 16, 2012
Hi v4x

I am also interested in this topic, but I have not found useful information :S , wish you the best luck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
v4x said:
Hi Members,

Does anyone know how to withdraw PR status? I have read on some other forums said that the person needs to file some sort of application for have their PR status to be officially cancelled. Is that true and where can I get the information about it? Thanks
There are forms you can fill out to cancel YOUR OWN PR status.

However based on your ealier posts - I think you're trying to cancel the PR status of the husband you sponsored (not your own status). If that's the case - then no - there are no forms you can fill out to cancel / withdraw his PR status. The most you can do is report your husband for immigration fraud if you feel he used you to obtain PR status. The contact information for reporting him can be found here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/protection/fraud/report.asp

It's anyone's guess whether CIC will do something about your complaint or not.

Hope this helps.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks, scylla
I have talked to a lawyer,and yes the only thing I can do is to report the fraud I believed and let it go.
Things always change, my husband showed the willingness to withdraw his own PR status and ask me to find forms to sign (I've got the proof of his cheating and I will divorce him) two things seem unrelated but I think he has guilt deep down in his heart. Anyways,life is still going on and be strong.

I 've found a post regarding relinquish PR status, anyone interested can take a look:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-cancellation-t99878.0.html

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
scylla said:
There are forms you can fill out to cancel YOUR OWN PR status.

could you tell me where I can get the forms? IMM 5399 does not exist. I am not outside of Canada,is there any phone number I can call to contact CIC?

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
v4x said:
Thanks, scylla
I have talked to a lawyer,and yes the only thing I can do is to report the fraud I believed and let it go.
Things always change, my husband showed the willingness to withdraw his own PR status and ask me to find forms to sign (I've got the proof of his cheating and I will divorce him) two things seem unrelated but I think he has guilt deep down in his heart. Anyways,life is still going on and be strong.

I 've found a post regarding relinquish PR status, anyone interested can take a look:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-cancellation-t99878.0.html
Why do I get the feeling he is being threatened and coerced by you? There is no reason why he should sign any documents. His canadian status will naturally expire over time if he isn't living in Canada.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/please-sponsors-take-responsibility-for-the-choice-you-made-t126945.0.html;msg1925970#msg1925970

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
nobody threats anyone,I sponsored him when he wanted, after he came he said Canada brought him a lot of sadness and speeded his decision to end the relationship. Firstly, I thought it's a fraud since I found out he cheated, when we agreed to divorce, he said that he want to undone PR status he said he never want it,I am thinking it's ok.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
v4x said:
nobody threats anyone,I sponsored him when he wanted, after he came he said Canada brought him a lot of sadness and speeded his decision to end the relationship. Firstly, I thought it's a fraud since I found out he cheated, when we agreed to divorce, he said that he want to undone PR status he said he never want it,I am thinking it's ok.
With all due respect, this is a silly argument. Why go through the hassle of filling out paper work when you can simply leave the country and your PR status will automatically expire after a period of time? Sorry, I don't believe you.

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
annabruce said:
With all due respect, this is a silly argument. Why go through the hassle of filling out paper work when you can simply leave the country and your PR status will automatically expire after a period of time? Sorry, I don't believe you.
This is honestly a pretty mean thing to say to a person who's getting divorced when you have no idea whether it's even true. Some people simply WANT to cut all ties from the country their ex spouse belongs to, especially if they hated the country. Besides, regardless of what she says, her husband can cancel his PR, but she can't cancel his by herself.

v4x, I'm sorry you're getting divorced.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
chipits said:
This is honestly a pretty mean thing to say to a person who's getting divorced when you have no idea whether it's even true. Some people simply WANT to cut all ties from the country their ex spouse belongs to, especially if they hated the country. Besides, regardless of what she says, her husband can cancel his PR, but she can't cancel his by herself.

v4x, I'm sorry you're getting divorced.
We keep getting threads started by peope who want to punish their (ex)spouse when the relationship breaks down. I'm sorry, but something just doesn't feel right about this poster.

Specifically, it was her comments about the other woman that bothers me. She can't stand the thought that this man might bring the other woman to Canada. As far as I am concerned this attitude is very unfair unless fraud is clearly evident. There is no reason why this man shouldn't start a new life in whatever country he wants so long as he doesn't exploit the welfare system. Sorry people, relationships break down no matter how hard we work to bring our spouse to Canada. This is life.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Re: Withdraw PR status-we all have options-happianess

Hi, I think I owe this forum an explanation, for people who understand and support me also who expressed different aspects.

Sorry there is no useful information regarding PR status, but we are all human beings and pursuing only one ending-happiness. Allow me.

I love my husband, for the past 8 years, getting him a legal status in Canada was becoming my life goal.Our love was strong,(for him it's a complicated feeling towards Canada I guess,without status for 5 years would cause a deep frustration and sadness,we were together the whole time,didn't see our parents in 5 years) In 2009, he has been forced to leave Canada coz we had a huge fight and he called cops,he said his life in Canada was enough let them take me home. After he left, I quitted my job and went back, during those 2 years I still missed Canada and want to finish what we left.we agreed that I come back first and file the PR application for him. I fully committed. His called me at least 4 times a day,v-chat twice a day,tons of text msg n emails, like normal, I felt his love.Things went well,he got PR in 8 months and came to Toronto in late Oct 2012. I picked him up at Pearson airport T1,will never forget that day, he only smiled slightly to me after 9 months separation. All of sudden,I felt there's something really wrong, in the following days,he talked to me less and less said he does't love me anymore. Same as the story you can find in therapy sites, I shocked/cried/yelled/begged/ no idea why he all of sudden became another person. we both on our annual vacation. 10 days later,we went back to our country,he continued to go to work,refused to talk to me, slept on the sofa,get drunk. I think maybe the visa officer gave him a hard time at the airport so he recalled bad memories. I don't want to lose my family,being with him is the only thing I want. I quitted my job in RBC sold my car transferred my condo in Toronto, thanks all my friends who help me without hesitated.

I stayed at home, cooked every meal and wash his clothes,he said he won't eat as long as I cooked...I cried out loud coz I don't know what I did wrong to deserve this. One evening,he came home in midnight so drunk,I can't help to check his cell phone,my hands were shaky.The conversation was like a prone and he told that girl he cannot force me to get divorce coz I might not handle the sadness and become mentally disability and the law will always protect disabilities so he will never get divorce,that's why he gave me silence treatment and let my heart die and leave him... the girl said she wants to go to U.S. he won't let her said they can go to Canada in the future together...
I am 31 years old,my best 8 years was with him,until that day,I felt my life was a big joke. In the letter I wrote to visa officer when I filed his application: my husband is my life. That's why I felt die inside when he wants to leave me.

annabruce: thanks for pointing out your thoughts.yes I felt unfair and I did tell my husband to cancel his status because I was angry,I later told him this status belongs to him and it's his call.This cancellation will not bring him back. We had those great 8 years and the status was occurred during our marriage was in a good faith.

chipits: thanks for not judging.I do not expect people to be on my side,but appreciate it happens. All my husband's friends even some family members and my friends stays on my side,I guess I did something right.

Now,I told him do not cancel the status,because I feel hurt if he does I don't know why.After two months struggle,I realized that this was it.From the moment on he had an affair with another girl and started to lie to me, no matter how hard I try to win him back,our marriage ends. Truth is I cannot win him back over that girl,coz he loves her now.He never mentions divorce to me,but the way he treats me tells me so. Maybe he wants to leave the respect for me,waits me to say it first.so I will now.

Members, sorry for this long story and it bores you Im sure :) Hope everyone of you holds your beloved ones tight,respect his/her willingness. Love also means scarifies,if I did not leave to Canada in 2009, this would not happen...Family is above everything,status is just a tiny step for the happiness.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
annabruce said:
Even if I "believe" the OP, which I do. Everything else here is a valid point. It's not "mean".!

samaseemo

Star Member
Feb 15, 2012
please move on.

marrying someone overseas is a red flag on its own and you have to be 100% confident of them values and personality. at the end of the day you have to be open to the idea that your spouse might leave you when they get to Canada, its always a possibility and you should be blaming yourself. you decided to marry this person.

you can have easily found someone in canada but chose to marry overseas this was your choice

these stories give excuses to increase processing times. makes the rest of us wait a lot longer because you are not taking responsibility for your actions

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011: application received
Doc's Request.
07-21-2011: received AIP & PPR request
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
samaseemo said:
please move on.

marrying someone overseas is a red flag on its own and you have to be 100% confident of them values and personality. at the end of the day you have to be open to the idea that your spouse might leave you when they get to Canada, its always a possibility and you should be blaming yourself. you decided to marry this person.

you can have easily found someone in canada but chose to marry overseas this was your choice

these stories give excuses to increase processing times. makes the rest of us wait a lot longer because you are not taking responsibility for your actions

I'm sorry but your argument is nonsense and prejudice! more than 40% of domestic marriages now a days fail regardless. if you compare the ratio the domestic marriage fail is actually much higher so the argument is baseless. yes there are failed marriages but that can be domestic or overseas it doesn't matter. there are exception cases in both domestic or "overseas" but you can't judge based on an individual case.
its sad to see that happen, but lets not paint everyone with the same brush! every failed marriage has its own factors.
you don't have to make her feel guilty just because she loved someone overseas, unfortunately her marriage didn't workout and she has to move on. a failed marriage could very well happen to her if she married a Canadian here in Canada.

thanks

Halfmoon

Champion Member
Jul 3, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2012
AOR Received.
26-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012 - Kingston In Process
Med's Done....
27-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-02-2013
LANDED..........
Valentine's Day
samaseemo said:
please move on.

Guess you're not on the forum for spousal sponsorship support. :-X