+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdraw of Protected Person Status

bamboohamboo

Sep 24, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I sometimes came across people who do withdrew their protected person status as soon as they became a PR.
Now I don't really Understand how is that possible if the PR application was mainly requested based on the protected person status!
I mean if they withdraw their protected person status then the PR will be automatically canceled too right?

Please explain and advice (only if you know what you are talking about) would appreciate any reference too.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I sometimes came across people who do withdrew their protected person status as soon as they became a PR.
Now I don't really Understand how is that possible if the PR application was mainly requested based on the protected person status!
I mean if they withdraw their protected person status then the PR will be automatically canceled too right?

Please explain and advice (only if you know what you are talking about) would appreciate any reference too.

Thanks.
This is only possible if you obtain PR through a different immigration stream. So let's say you have protected person status and you have also been sponsored by your Canadian spouse for PR. You get PR through your spouse first. Then you can withdraw the proected person status.

If you get PR through protected person status, you cannot withdraw your protected person status. That's how you got PR.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Thanks.
There is no such a thing as withdrew protected status once you become Permanent Resident through refugee Protection. You loose protection if cessation is granted against you, you acquire other nationality that you no longer need Protection in Canada or you become Canadian Citizen

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
This is only possible if you obtain PR through a different immigration stream. So let's say you have protected person status and you have also been sponsored by your Canadian spouse for PR. You get PR through your spouse first. Then you can withdraw the proected person status.

If you get PR through protected person status, you cannot withdraw your protected person status. That's how you got PR.
HI @scylla my understanding is you will still be considered as protected status since decision was made by IRB and not IRCC. In this scenario, PP decided not to use NOD to acquire Permanent Resident but he is still considered as Protected Status since that determination was already made by other Independent Administrative Tribunal. Not come across if you lose that status after becoming PR through other stream, Any insight on this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
HI @scylla my understanding is you will still be considered as protected status since decision was made by IRB and not IRCC. In this scenario, PP decided not to use NOD to acquire Permanent Resident but he is still considered as Protected Status since that determination was already made by other Independent Administrative Tribunal. Not come across if you lose that status after becoming PR through other stream, Any insight on this?
OK - interesting. Thanks for clarifying. I don't have further insight on this to be honest. Maybe the withdrawal is only possible before protected person status while the refugee application is still ongoing.

Reactions: canuck78

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
OK - interesting. Thanks for clarifying. I don't have further insight on this to be honest. Maybe the withdrawal is only possible before protected person status while the refugee application is still ongoing.
Exactly. I will research this one as well if there are any publications/guidelines... I'm curious to see what will happen when Protected Person re-avail back home while having PR from Spousal Sponsorship.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Believe once a protected person always a protected person. If you get sponsored for PR by a spouse you still were likely living in Canada based on claiming asylum and would not have had the opportunity to meet your spouse in Canada had you not been able to be in Canada. If you are a protected person who has received PR through family sponsorship you should not be going to your home country until your receive Canadian citizenship. People shouldn’t want to risk potential outcomes of reavailment or potential huge legal fees dealing with potential reavailment issue.

Reactions: Simba112