+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my PART TIME STATUS in between a FULL TIME program be an issue for PGWP?

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Inland Sponsorship - Dec 2, 2016
Med's Request
November 2017
Hi;

After graduating from my 1 year post graduate program on December 2014 from George Brown College, I had transferred my credits to a 2 years diploma program at Niagara College Canada where I got admitted in the last semester (in advance standing). In this current semester I have 6 courses (2 in class & 4 online). And as currently the PGWP of most people doing this are being rejected with the clause "majority of your courses in the final program were distance learning", I am planning to withdraw from all the online courses and take them again next semester in-class. Doing so will make me a part time student for this semester with a course load of 2 courses.

Please let me know, if my current part time status for this semester will be a problem while applying for the PGWP?

Is there anyone here who were in a part time status in any middle semester of a full time program?

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - being part time can result in a PGWP refusal. Are you going to be full time for your last two semesters before applying for the PGWP?

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
November 2017
scylla said:
Yes - being part time can result in a PGWP refusal. Are you going to be full time for your last two semesters before applying for the PGWP?
No. I will be a part time student in the 2nd last semester.

Or, do you think withdrawing from the whole program is a better idea? And re-take it next semester with all courses in-class?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
helix said:
No. I will be a part time student in the 2nd last semester.
Then I think you will have trouble getting an approved PGWP. There was just a post here the other day where someone was refused a PGWP because they were part time the last two semesters. The specific reason they were refused was because they weren't a full time student.

Not sure what you should do. But make sure you're not out of school for more than 90 days.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
I do know if this answer the question but look at this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

Full‑time versus part‑time studies in the last session of study

If a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full-time status, but is in their last session, they will still be considered to be eligible for this program. For example, at an institution, a student may be required to be enrolled in at least four classes to be considered to have full-time status. However, a student in the last session of a program of study needs to take only two additional classes in order to receive a Canadian educational credential from that institution. That student will still be eligible to apply for a work permit under this program.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is why I asked about the last two semesters. If the OP was part time only during the last semester (i.e. last session) and met the criteria you have provided above - then the PGWP might still be possible. However the OP is going to be part time for the last two semesters - so no dice. This is definitely a problem.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
scylla said:
This is why I asked about the last two semesters. If the OP was part time only during the last semester (i.e. last session) and met the criteria you have provided above - then the PGWP might still be possible. However the OP is going to be part time for the last two semesters - so no dice. This is definitely a problem.
Please, note that the web link that virtu provided is the rules from 2010.
You can see that the PGWP rule has already changed and that information is not correct anymore.
I 'm not pretty sure about it, but I guess you might have problems with PGWP in your case.

Could somebody tell me what CIC consider as a full time program?

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
Bruno V. S. said:
Please, note that the web link that virtu provided is the rules from 2010.
You can see that the PGWP rule has already changed and that information is not correct anymore.
I 'm not pretty sure about it, but I guess you might have problems with PGWP in your case.

Could somebody tell me what CIC consider as a full time program?
The OB 194A is still applicable for the case. When one OB is expired CIC update the site just like this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/index.asp

To check what is a full time program for CIC, go to CIC Glossary and check over there, the answer is there.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
virtu said:
The OB 194A is still applicable for the case. When one OB is expired CIC update the site just like this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/index.asp

To check what is a full time program for CIC, go to CIC Glossary and check over there, the answer is there.
I see, I said that because the PGWP rules has already changed so I thought it could be old information.
And thanks for the CIC Glossary. I didn't know I could find the full time study information there.

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
November 2017
I am now planning to withdraw from the whole GAS program and after that take admission in another 2 semester post graduate program (Event Management). It starts from September 2015.

MY QUESTION IS:
Will January - April considered a break? And then again May-September ....will it be a looong break and give me troubles in my PGWP?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

helix said:
I am now planning to withdraw from the whole GAS program and after that take admission in another 2 semester post graduate program (Event Management). It starts from September 2015.

MY QUESTION IS:
Will January - April considered a break? And then again May-September ....will it be a looong break and give me troubles in my PGWP?

1. With new rules (June 2014), you must remain enrolled as a full time student all the time.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

virtu said:

1. Link is correct but not applicable in OP case. OP is in part time status due to distance learning & that's strictly against the rules.

helix

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
November 2017
J5M said:
Hi,

1. Link is correct but not applicable in OP case. OP is in part time status due to distance learning & that's strictly against the rules.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not yet part time. Just talking with college about options.

What if I drop the 4 online courses and take 2 additional in class courses this semester only (in fast track)? ...so all together I will end up 4 in class courses for this semester. And next semester (may - August) I re take the dropped online courses (4) in class...

Shaon

Nov 25, 2017
Hi,

1. With new rules (June 2014), you must remain enrolled as a full time student all the time.
Please don't spread false information. The rules is still available that students can be part time in their final academic session. Check cic. This rules will always be there possibility because there are many reasons students can be part time like course is not available or failure. That's why after changing many things in 2014 this rule still exists. You can check cic on fi

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Please don't spread false information. The rules is still available that students can be part time in their final academic session. Check cic. This rules will always be there possibility because there are many reasons students can be part time like course is not available or failure. That's why after changing many things in 2014 this rule still exists. You can check cic on fi

You are correct but you shouldn’t interpret posts out of context. Do you think here OP is trying to be part time in the last semester?

Read again what is the issue here. OP is planning to be a part time in the SECOND last semester which he isn’t allowed to do so, and he must remain a full time student unless he is in a last semester + there is no other option left for him but to be part time due to course load.

Reactions: Immstu