+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will be applying for a 1-year PGWP soon. Confused about when to apply for CEC?

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Hi,

I will most likely be applying for my PGWP next month and it will be for 1 year. Now it says you can't apply for Express Entry if you want to apply for the CEC until you complete 1 year of Canadian work.

1) What if your one year is completed right around the time your PGWP is about to expire?

Hopefully, I complete it before then (since the processing time for a PGWP seems to be over 2 months) but I assume I apply for Express Entry and then apply for a bridging permit soon after?

2) How long does the AOR usually take if you make an online application? I've seen differing things online from 24 hours to 4 months? And what if I don't get it in time before my PGWP expires? Change to a visitor visa?

3) Can you remain in the Express Entry pool before the 1 year is complete if by chance you qualify for the FSWP as well? Or what if you don't. Can you just remain in the pool?

Any help would be appreciated.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You always need to maintain legal status in Canada to avoid having to leave, so if the timing around completing a year of work, your PGWP expiry, and applying for PR and a BOWP is too tight or even impossible, you would have to find an employer willing to sponsor another work permit with an LMIA, or change your status to visitor, in which case you would have to wait to receive PR before being allowed to work again.

If you qualify for FSW based on already having at least a year of foreign skilled work experience, you can enter the pool.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
You always need to maintain legal status in Canada to avoid having to leave, so if the timing around completing a year of work, your PGWP expiry, and applying for PR and a BOWP is too tight or even impossible, you would have to find an employer willing to sponsor another work permit with an LMIA, or change your status to visitor, in which case you would have to wait to receive PR before being allowed to work again.

If you qualify for FSW based on already having at least a year of foreign skilled work experience, you can enter the pool.
Thank you. Do you know how long an AOR usually takes?

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Reactions: lukeortolani

Patiently_pr

Mar 14, 2020
With a 1 year pgwp, ensure that you apply 1-2 days before you start the job! I say this because I wouldn't advise you to count on a "processing time of over 2 months".

These days pgwp are being approved within a little as 2-5 days and this has become a pain for persons with only a 1 year time frame to accumulate 52 weeks of work experience in order to be eligible for CEC.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
With a 1 year pgwp, ensure that you apply 1-2 days before you start the job! I say this because I wouldn't advise you to count on a "processing time of over 2 months".

These days pgwp are being approved within a little as 2-5 days and this has become a pain for persons with only a 1 year time frame to accumulate 52 weeks of work experience in order to be eligible for CEC.
I imagine the pandemic will increase times?

That said, that is my plan for sure! Thanks for the tip.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I imagine the pandemic will increase times?

That said, that is my plan for sure! Thanks for the tip.
One would think. However we've seen a few people here receive their PGWP in just 2-3 days recently.