Widowed Mother and Unmarried sister sponsorship to Canada inquires

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
Hello,
I am a brand new Canadian Citizen. I have a mother who lives in India and is a widow and I have my younger sister (unmarried) who is also with her in India and I want to sponsor them so that can come and live with me in Canada. I have my own place, a good job, and can support them. If someone can guide me as to what I can do and what the process is and how I can start an application for them so that they can come over here as landed immigrants.

Any advice and help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I am a brand new Canadian Citizen. I have a mother who lives in India and is a widow and I have my younger sister (unmarried) who is also with her in India and I want to sponsor them so that can come and live with me in Canada. I have my own place, a good job, and can support them. If someone can guide me as to what I can do and what the process is and how I can start an application for them so that they can come over here as landed immigrants.

Any advice and help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.
Your mother can be sponsored through the parent / grandparent sponsorship program. This program is a lottery which typically opens once per year with only a limited number of spots available. You should watch for the program to re-open this year and apply (we don't know when it will reopen).

For your sister, she can only be sponsored as a dependent in your mother's application. You cannot sponsor her independently. To be classified as a dependent in your mother's application, she needs to be under 22 years old when the application to sponsor your mother is received by IRCC - or she must have a mental or physical condition that makes her fully dependent on your mother. This would have to be something relatively severe that makes your sister unable to live alone, work, go to school, etc.

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
@scylla Thank you so much for your response.

Yes, my sister is over the age of 22 and not a dependent so she will have to apply on her own and I am not able to sponsor her, I understand that. Thank you for letting me know.

@scylla as far as my mother is concerned, where can I get more information about this parent/grandparent sponsorship program? How can I keep track as to when they roll it out? Is there a way that I can access the application and complete it beforehand? What documents do I need to keep ready for my mum and me for this application?

Thank you so much for your help @scylla and I look forward to hearing from you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla Thank you so much for your response.

Yes, my sister is over the age of 22 and not a dependent so she will have to apply on her own and I am not able to sponsor her, I understand that. Thank you for letting me know.

@scylla as far as my mother is concerned, where can I get more information about this parent/grandparent sponsorship program? How can I keep track as to when they roll it out? Is there a way that I can access the application and complete it beforehand? What documents do I need to keep ready for my mum and me for this application?

Thank you so much for your help @scylla and I look forward to hearing from you.
You can find details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

You'll have to keep checking the IRCC web site for updates on when the program is going to open for this year.

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
Last year it was from Oct 2020 to Nov 2020 and only for a few weeks. I guess I will have to check this on a daily basis so that I can submit the interest to sponsor form.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Last year it was from Oct 2020 to Nov 2020 and only for a few weeks. I guess I will have to check this on a daily basis so that I can submit the interest to sponsor form.
Even if you will have a relatively short period during which you can apply, that period will be announced in advance so you don't really need to check every day.

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
@Naheulbeuck Thank you so much for letting me know.

@scylla and @Naheulbeuck, would you please tell me, once this window opens up to submit the request for sponsorship, is this simply a form that we need to fill in with our information and our parent's information, what will be on this form, do we have to send out any attachments along with this? Please let me know.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is that no one knows. The process changes every few years. The last few years sponsors have completed a simple form to enter the lottery. In previous years, you had to submit the full application and those who got their complete applications in first were processed until the cap was reached (i.e. first in, first out). Who knows what will happen this year. Just watch the site for updates. There's no point guessing because anything could happen.

Reactions: Naheulbeuck