+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

why the genuicity of a marry is investigated like this?

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
i cant understand this procedure!!!!why do they make this?i cant beliieve people are getting married just to move to Canada....and if they have that intention how the sponsor plays this role?do you know stories like this?really all this ğrocedure looks to me very weird..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - there's certainly been a fair amount of marriage fraud in the past. Sometimes the applicant is the only person engaged in the fraud and the sponsor thinks the relationship is genuine. In other cases the sponsor is in on the fraud and has been paid to assist in obtaining PR status for the applicant fraudulently. Because of the amount of fraud in the past, CIC has to verify that the relationship is genuine from both sides for each application.

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
scylla said:
Yes - there's certainly been a fair amount of marriage fraud in the past. Sometimes the applicant is the only person engaged in the fraud and the sponsor thinks the relationship is genuine. In other cases the sponsor is in on the fraud and has been paid to assist in obtaining PR status for the applicant fraudulently. Because of the amount of fraud in the past, CIC has to verify that the relationship is genuine from both sides for each application.
but ı think in many cases they make mistake.....whats ur opınıon?ı have read storıes of refusal that look not to be faır...

ydj_dil

Apr 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2014
AOR Received.
28-Jul-2014
File Transfer...
01-Aug-2014
Med's Done....
01-Nov-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-Mar-2015
Genuinity of marriage is a huge factor in spousal sponsorship. There are several cases where people got married, truly only to come to canada, with plans to separate at the airport (literally). There were cases where "sponsors" ran a racket of taking money, getting married, bringing applicant to Canada, and divorcing. Then repeat for more money from next applicant. There were cases where sponsors were fooled by applicants into getting married, brought to canada, and promptly ditching the innocent sponsor. Therefore, immigration officers is trained to look for cases that show any red flags. Some of the common red flags they look for are:
1. Age gap - If an unusual age gap is present between husband and wife - say like 20 years difference, this could indicate that they are marrying to come to canada
2. Lack of communication between the partners - no emails, letters
3. No evidence of being together - no photos, no trips together, families don't know about marriage etc.

and many more such things.

Understandbly, for genuine cases, this means long waiting and intense scrutiny, which does seem unfair..

soblue3

Apr 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
07-04-2014
Interview........
20-06-2014 denied Nov 1, 2014 application for appeal sent nov 15, 2014
Passport Req..
blue book received march 2015
Ah really sometimes i am just sick of looking at an age gap as a measuring stick of genuine relationship. I don't see the logic. Sure it is not a norm...but we are not all a sheep in the flock that have to do what we see others do. we can not always choose whom we fall in love with. I remember when i first attended university...had a major crash on one of my professors who was twice my age. lol. then married a man much older than me. Now married a younger one. It is very sad that Canadian immigration laws can not go beyond such a superficial thing as age difference. Sure it is not a norm. But who when falling in love thinks how old is the other person? Really, would anybody marry another just based on the age? I mean if there is no obvious physical signs or difference...why use this as a measuring stick for a genuine relationship. Also, is there not enough cases with people of the same age committing the fraud? Every case should be viewed with the same scrutiny.

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
ın my case ı have quıte red flags then fıor CIC...my husband ıs turkısh..ı am Greek canadıan...and my mother dodnt learn my marrıage beecasue she dıdnt want hım because of hıs natıonalıty.........ı lıve wıth hım 2 years now ın Turkey,same house learnt turkısh and havıng photos at fcb..ı sent them 300 pages of fcb conversatıons durıng 2011 talkıng about the problems ın my famıly arrangıng our marrıage....we dated sınce 2007 but we splıtted up for some tıme...ı also mentıon ı was just greek cıtızen when ı met and ı dated to my current spouse.ı too the canadıan cıtızenshıp some montys ago applıed aprıl of 2013.so u dont knmow what to waıt from them...yes the parents maybe do not want the groom....why they cant accept thıs?and why they cant accept ı prefered my hubby and ı left all for hım?

ydj_dil

Apr 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2014
AOR Received.
28-Jul-2014
File Transfer...
01-Aug-2014
Med's Done....
01-Nov-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-Mar-2015
Well, they would accept it, if everything else looks genuine in your case. Its just that they will take some time to think about it, and scrutinize from all angles. Not that if there is a red flag, they out right reject the case - they won't be so merciless. Basically, the fewer the red flags, the quicker the process.

yvr1234

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-10-2013
ninakap30 said:
ın my case ı have quıte red flags then fıor CIC...my husband ıs turkısh..ı am Greek canadıan...and my mother dodnt learn my marrıage beecasue she dıdnt want hım because of hıs natıonalıty.........ı lıve wıth hım 2 years now ın Turkey,same house learnt turkısh and havıng photos at fcb..ı sent them 300 pages of fcb conversatıons durıng 2011 talkıng about the problems ın my famıly arrangıng our marrıage....we dated sınce 2007 but we splıtted up for some tıme...ı also mentıon ı was just greek cıtızen when ı met and ı dated to my current spouse.ı too the canadıan cıtızenshıp some montys ago applıed aprıl of 2013.so u dont knmow what to waıt from them...yes the parents maybe do not want the groom....why they cant accept thıs?and why they cant accept ı prefered my hubby and ı left all for hım?
Did CIC contact you for additional information because of the "red flags"?
Did you get an interview? Or did your application get rejected?
Don't assume they will reject you up front just because of some "red flags" that is generally considered for all applications.
I think every VO have their local guideline and will look at your case with the provided information.
Try to be positive and not so angry. ;D
Have a nice day!

Cross Border Couple

Jun 9, 2014
Its a process and we are all in the same boat. Some of us will be scrutinized more than others due to red flags. They must have common sense though when it comes to particular issues with red flags and see how things add up (such as relationship proof)

ydj_dil

Apr 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2014
AOR Received.
28-Jul-2014
File Transfer...
01-Aug-2014
Med's Done....
01-Nov-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-Mar-2015
In my opinion, you lived with your husband for 2 years in the same house. Thats a pretty good thing, might cancel out many other red flags. So, don't worry, you will do fine!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yvr1234 said:
Did CIC contact you for additional information because of the "red flags"?
Did you get an interview? Or did your application get rejected?
Don't assume they will reject you up front just because of some "red flags" that is generally considered for all applications.
I think every VO have their local guideline and will look at your case with the provided information.
Try to be positive and not so angry. ;D
Have a nice day!
the visa office hasn't even gotten her application yet!

Nina - you don't know how your package will be handled, so why assume it won't be "accepted"? there is no point in expecting the worst if you have a solid relationship and can express that in your application.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I sympathize with both sides in this situation. I don't think that CIC officers particularly enjoy judging the relationships they are paid to evaluate; and as many people here point out, that judging will always have an element of prejudice towards people who are different from 'expectations' -- the Greek and Turk who marry, the 65 year-old woman and the 40-year-old guy, etc. All CIC has to go on is what seems normal, and most people are much more than that. There are countries where 'love' is a much less important component of marriage, and there is evidence that this doesn't actually work out that badly. I think that the worst mistake is to try and make your application look normal, when it's not -- as someone points out above, accept the strange parts and show instead what is real about it. Couples who are together have a real advantage here -- stay abroad for a couple of years and make CIC realize it's genuine.

A second issue is that the conservative nature of the relationship evaluation impacts women more severely. For whatever reason, it is considered more 'normal' for an old guy to marry a young woman, than vice versa -- I've seen this in SE Asia, where a divorced guy 15 years older than his wife married her, got her a TVA to Canada within 5 months, brought her there, and disposed of their sponsorship with no questions whatsoever. They had had a short Internet relationship and got married within a week of meeting each other. Reverse the ages, and the Canadian woman is going to have more problems. This also applies to the unfortunate OP in the long, argumentative post on a boyfriend in Togo, where the woman's disabilities were going to put her under drastically increased scrutiny from CIC, for a couple of reasons.

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
soblue3 said:
Ah really sometimes i am just sick of looking at an age gap as a measuring stick of genuine relationship. I don't see the logic. Sure it is not a norm...but we are not all a sheep in the flock that have to do what we see others do. we can not always choose whom we fall in love with. I remember when i first attended university...had a major crash on one of my professors who was twice my age. lol. then married a man much older than me. Now married a younger one. It is very sad that Canadian immigration laws can not go beyond such a superficial thing as age difference. Sure it is not a norm. But who when falling in love thinks how old is the other person? Really, would anybody marry another just based on the age? I mean if there is no obvious physical signs or difference...why use this as a measuring stick for a genuine relationship. Also, is there not enough cases with people of the same age committing the fraud? Every case should be viewed with the same scrutiny.
It's never only the age gap that's a red flag. Usually the age gap has to be coupled with others (different culture, culturally not accepted in that country for a man to marry an older divorced woman, different religion etc. )

soblue3

Apr 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
07-04-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
it would be so much better if the applications could simply be truthful and real...anyways that is what it seemed like to me...i think the immigration should look at the facts...all the other things like their feelings about it, cultural norms and stuff only lead to prejudices. when i filled my application i gave the immigration what i had...i did not think what they expect. to me our relationship is real. I am sure my husband and his family also feel that way. All the people who know me and seen us talk to each other on skype for 2 years now also feel the same way. if the vo actually bothers to read through all the paperwork we provided them with i am sure they would come to that conclusion. One thing that bothers me..they ask for more relationship proofs for the interview but dont bother looking at it. It is like they already have their minds made up when they see one or two red flags based on their own prejudices. its so unfair to expect people to think how to present their reality. It is what it is..people should not do their applications based on what the immigration may or may not think. i believe that if everybody did that then there would be much less problems. I am not sure what the real stories are behind the fraud stories. There must be some differences in a real relationship vs a fake one. that is regardless of age difference or nationality.

soblue3

Apr 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
07-04-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
MofC2014 said:
It's never only the age gap that's a red flag. Usually the age gap has to be coupled with others (different culture, culturally not accepted in that country for a man to marry an older divorced woman, different religion etc. )
but more often than not it is the age gap..if you read the CanLii....the prevalent theme is the age gap...why others in exactly the same situation but no age gaps get accepted with no problem..read about the case of Aquarian..and many others like that