+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which one is more suitable: visitor vs. supervisa for parents

Tira

Feb 16, 2012
Hello guys, I saw here similar topics regarding SuperVisa but didn’t find not quite with the same concern that I have, so, therefore, I am posting it as a new topic.

So, the question is the following. We would like to invite our parents to visit us in Canada for a period of just 1 month. In this relation, we have a question: which visa should the parents apply for: simple travelers’ visa or supervise for parents?

According to the information on the website, super0visa is for parents who are planning on staying in Canada up to 2 years and as one of requirements, we need to purchase Canadian health insurance for at least a year.

However, in our situation, our parents are planning on visiting us only for 1 month, therefore, we are not sure which one is right for them to apply. I am afraid if they apply for regular visitors visa, they will get rejected because they are my parents and the officer will say since they are my parents they should apply for supervisa for parents and not the regular one.

We would greatly appreciate if you could advice us.

Thank you in advance.

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, my mom is planning to visit for 6 months and we only applied for regular TRV. In my invitation letter, i said that we are aware of supervisa but since she is not planning to stay for up to 2 years, we are applying for a regular. The real reason is that my mom's passport expires in 1 year so I don't see any value in applying for super visa and going through medicals as she will have to go home anyway. Once she gets her new passport, we might consider super visa.

Reactions: swordenium

khannablue

Apr 20, 2009
I had the same question, as since my mom would be coming for only a month, there is no need for going into the Super visa... hey did you parents got the Normal visa ?

THanks

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know yet. We are still waiting. And I am very nervous.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Tira said:
Hello guys, I saw here similar topics regarding SuperVisa but didn't find not quite with the same concern that I have, so, therefore, I am posting it as a new topic.

So, the question is the following. We would like to invite our parents to visit us in Canada for a period of just 1 month. In this relation, we have a question: which visa should the parents apply for: simple travelers' visa or supervise for parents?

According to the information on the website, super0visa is for parents who are planning on staying in Canada up to 2 years and as one of requirements, we need to purchase Canadian health insurance for at least a year.

However, in our situation, our parents are planning on visiting us only for 1 month, therefore, we are not sure which one is right for them to apply. I am afraid if they apply for regular visitors visa, they will get rejected because they are my parents and the officer will say since they are my parents they should apply for supervisa for parents and not the regular one.

We would greatly appreciate if you could advice us.

Thank you in advance.
Seems like you already know the answer.

It's expected that Super Visa will have lower rejection rate than normal Visitor Visa. Vistor Visa for parents are often rejected on silly reasons like: weak family ties to home country. It's you who should be determining if your parents have weaker/stronger ties. "Ties" is a vague term for applicants like us. But I believe from experience that the VO would look for if either/both of your parents are currently employed and have other dependent children living with them. Then, he would look into their bank balance and other assets. On the contrary, Super Visa is given mainly on sponsor's (son/daughter) income, his/her status in Canada and parents' medical condition. Their ties would not play such major role as they intend to live for minimum 2 years.

Having said that, if your parents are coming for just a month, Visitor Visa would be the correct one though it's not guranteed. Besides, you don't have to pay 1 year medical insurance upfront (remember that you'll get almost no refund even if they come and live for a month in Canada) and your parents won't have to go through medical exams.

Now, the decision is yours.

Tira

Feb 16, 2012
Rossei said:

It's expected that Super Visa will have lower rejection rate than normal Visitor Visa. Vistor Visa for parents are often rejected on silly reasons like: weak family ties to home country. It's you who should be determining if your parents have weaker/stronger ties. "Ties" is a vague term for applicants like us. But I believe from experience that the VO would look for if either/both of your parents are currently employed and have other dependent children living with them. Then, he would look into their bank balance and other assets. On the contrary, Super Visa is given mainly on sponsor's (son/daughter) income, his/her status in Canada and parents' medical condition. Their ties would not play such major role as they intend to live for minimum 2 years.

Having said that, if your parents are coming for just a month, Visitor Visa would be the correct one though it's not guranteed. Besides, you don't have to pay 1 year medical insurance upfront (remember that you'll get almost no refund even if they come and live for a month in Canada) and your parents won't have to go through medical exams.

Yes, thank you so much for summerizing everything. I think you are totally correct but again the decision is hard. For me the most important thing is that they come, if does not matter which visa, I want them to visit me for a month and I don't want to have any sort of rejection for them because they will get very upset and won't apply again.

Since SuperVisa has lower rejection rate, maybe this is the way to go for me even though it does not sound logical. I don't understand this insurance system how it works. So, I need to buy it right now, even before they apply to have it as a proof, then they will go and apply for visa and let's say for some reason they get rejection, then what happens to the insurance that I bought???? Does it get refunded or money lost???? Please advice

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
My mom applied for Visitor Visa twice and got rejected. Though her intention has always been to stay with me for month or 2, but was never successful in proving it. Hence, I'm going for Super Visa for her this time.

Re: Insurance, you'll get full refund if your parents cannot make it. At least, that's what they say. Check other SuperVisa related topics here; you'll get info about bunch of brokers.

Tira

Feb 16, 2012
Rossei said:
My mom applied for Visitor Visa twice and got rejected. Though her intention has always been to stay with me for month or 2, but was never successful in proving it. Hence, I'm going for Super Visa for her this time.

Re: Insurance, you'll get full refund if your parents cannot make it. At least, that's what they say. Check other SuperVisa related topics here; you'll get info about bunch of brokers.
Yea, that's what I am worried about those silly rejection. It get so discouraging to our parents when it happens. What's your country where she applies, if you don't mind me asking?

Tira

Feb 16, 2012
Rossei said:

I guess each situation is different but I strongly believe, even though it's Canadian visa, still the rules and consideration greatly depends on the home office, whichever country you are living in. They just seem to think in their own way.

In my situation: If parents apply for supervisa and they consider me as a sponsor, I should be fine, have above average income, have average big house in Canada, am employed, have extra cash flow, the same for my husband. If parents apply for travels visa, then they will consider them as the main: parents have 2 properties, both employed, practically no cash flow, live from cheque to cheque, no kids, except me, and have old grandma to take care of, that's why they will come only for a month to visit me because they have to visit grandma frequently. She is fine, just old and feeling lovely so they visit her on weekly basis.

So, based on info that I provided, what would you guys recommend here. Which one to apply? The most important to me not to have rejection but at the same time, I really don't wanna waste money for 1 year insurance if both parents are coming just for a month....

Please advice. Maybe somebody share their experience here.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Tira said:
Yea, that's what I am worried about those silly rejection. It get so discouraging to our parents when it happens. What's your country where she applies, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm from Bangladesh. My mom is a widow and I'm the only child. While my father was alive, she never worked. She acted as a 'sleeping director' of the company my father used to co-own when she applied for TRV. Well, that's my story.

But I've seen my fellow countrymen getting success for their parents when both parents are alive and any/both of them are employed. I couldn't help comparing my mom's situation. She visited almost 20 countries with my father and never over-stayed anywhere. She was never refused a visa in her life other than Canada. She was called for an interview and told "You're getting profits from your compnay without working, your only son is over in Canada, you can easily sell your properties, leave Bangladesh and live with him permanently" when I invited my mom to attend my convocation. It was me whose study permit was going to expire and they thought we would both live permanently - weird!!!

Seeing your case, your parents have good chance in getting visitor visa since they're both employed and have some properties. But again, you can never be sure about it. You got a negative point as me for not having other siblings (believe me I wished for a bro/sis seeing all these). Your parents visiting your grandmom once a week isn't gonna help much unless they're taking care of her everyday for medical reasons. Research a bit more about your country how they handle cases and how frequent the rejection is.

Reactions: swordenium

Tira

Feb 16, 2012
Yea, thanks so much friend for sharing your thoughts. I think you are completely correct. You just never know and it's not that it's universal as every country's office will handle it differently even though it's the same visa, they just seem to have different attitude.

I guess I will give it a try and apply first for simple traveler visa and then we will see.

Good luck to everybody. Keep sharing. It will all help saving us time.

Nims

Nov 6, 2012
My mother's visa got rejected twice. She is a widow (dad passed away in 2003). I had provided all the documents, paystub, letter from the employer, bank statements, invitation letter stating all her expenses including airfare will be borne by me, air ticket. Reason for refusal, lack of appropriate funds. Will it be possible to apply for super visa after 2 rejections?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Nims said:
My mother's visa got rejected twice. She is a widow (dad passed away in 2003). I had provided all the documents, paystub, letter from the employer, bank statements, invitation letter stating all her expenses including airfare will be borne by me, air ticket. Reason for refusal, lack of appropriate funds. Will it be possible to apply for super visa after 2 rejections?
Your situation is exactly same as mine a year back.

My mother was rejected first when I was an int'l student in my final semester inviting her to my convocation.
She was rejected for the second time when I was on PGWP and working full-time
But eventually she got the Super Visa this year.

You can draw the conclusion.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
congratulations bro, for your mom's visa.
I guess if the person is not a permanent resident its hard to get a visitor visa for parents because they look at the support factor.
So may be thats why they kept on rejecting when you were applying as a temporary resident.

Rossei said:
Your situation is exactly same as mine a year back.

My mother was rejected first when I was an int'l student in my final semester inviting her to my convocation.
She was rejected for the second time when I was on PGWP and working full-time
But eventually she got the Super Visa this year.

You can draw the conclusion.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
gst8486 said:
congratulations bro, for your mom's visa.
I guess if the person is not a permanent resident its hard to get a visitor visa for parents because they look at the support factor.
So may be thats why they kept on rejecting when you were applying as a temporary resident.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

You're corrent to some extent; but I found other elevating factors to parents' rejection. For example, being single parent/widow, only child, not "enough" cash inflow/assets/regular income/full-time job - all these soften the ties with motherland.

I've seen Masters students (obviously on student permit) successfully inviting their better-halves/parents with minimum income from GAship/research. To the contrast, I, living in Canada longer, on PGWP, already having a full-time Govt. job didn't make any difference. And it's very unlikely that parents are rejected to attend their children's convocation - well it happened in my case as well. Well, these were unexpected from my point of view. I understand that wives are often rejected on the ground that they would be more opportunists in living in Canada permanently.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. :)