+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which is better idp or british council?

prince33

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
hello..

i gave ielts exam from british council last month...

i got overall 6 bands i.e listening-6.5,reading-6.5,writing-5.5,speaking-5.0

i have to give exam just because of 5 bands in speaking...

plz suggest me frm where i give ielts exam-british council or idp?

Saeid2011

Aug 21, 2011
Iran
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prince33 said:
hello..

please see my reply below:
Reference: IELTS-Blog

Today I’d like to clarify how IELTS, British Council and IDP are related, because many students and future immigrants were asking me this question “What is the difference between IELTS IDP and British Council and where the exams are easier?”.

IELTS was invented by the University of Cambridge, British Council and IDP all together. It so happens that in certain countries British Council is in charge of IELTS exams and in other countries IDP runs IELTS exams, and then there are countries where both British council and IDP offer IELTS exams, which people find confusing and are not sure where to go.

The most important thing for you to know is that IETS exams are the same worldwide, it doesn’t matter who supervises the test, British council or IDP. We have seen many times that in two different countries people have got the same questions and topics.

As to scoring, there are two parts of IELTS exam that are clerically marked – it means that your Answer Sheet is being checked by people who have clear instructions what answers are to be considered correct and incorrect. These two parts are the Reading and Listening and for those it doesn’t matter who does the grading.

For the other two parts, namely Writing and Speaking, it is not that simple. In some countries people are telling me that the exams at IDP are easier than at British council, but since the exams are the same, it can only mean one thing – the staff, the examiners who do the grading of Writing and Speaking are giving more favorable marks, compared to staff elsewhere. This is the only explanation I can think of

kawakaze

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Visa Office......
CIO NS
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
25-02-2016
Med's Request
04-2017
Med's Done....
11-05-2017
Passport Req..
06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2017
LANDED..........
21-12-2017
Saeid2011 said:

For the other two parts, namely Writing and Speaking, it is not that simple. In some countries people are telling me that the exams at IDP are easier than at British council, but since the exams are the same, it can only mean one thing – the staff, the examiners who do the grading of Writing and Speaking are giving more favorable marks, compared to staff elsewhere. This is the only explanation I can think of
Yes, Saeid 2011 is correct. In my country, there are 2 ielts test center: IDP and IALF. all examiners in IALF are senior examiners, while most of IDP examiners are young examiners. I ve taken ielts in both centers and i felt examiners at IDP are more generous, so that i got higher mark in IDP than IALF.

malenurseindia

Dec 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2012
Doc's Request.
WAITING
AOR Received.
WAITING
IELTS Request
7.5,SENT WITH APPLICATION
hi,

in my personal experience of taking ielts in both centres...british council is best comparing to idp..in terms of service and also grading

Saeid2011

Aug 21, 2011
Iran
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kawakaze said:
Yes, Saeid 2011 is correct. In my country, there are 2 ielts test center: IDP and IALF. all examiners in IALF are senior examiners, while most of IDP examiners are young examiners. I ve taken ielts in both centers and i felt examiners at IDP are more generous, so that i got higher mark in IDP than IALF.
but i think all the answers rechecked by 2 examiner.it might be done in two different countries.

Benidiction

Jan 19, 2012
Saeid2011 said:

Today I'd like to clarify how IELTS, British Council and IDP are related, because many students and future immigrants were asking me this question “What is the difference between IELTS IDP and British Council and where the exams are easier?”.

IELTS was invented by the University of Cambridge, British Council and IDP all together. It so happens that in certain countries British Council is in charge of IELTS exams and in other countries IDP runs IELTS exams, and then there are countries where both British council and IDP offer IELTS exams, which people find confusing and are not sure where to go.

The most important thing for you to know is that IETS exams are the same worldwide, it doesn't matter who supervises the test, British council or IDP. We have seen many times that in two different countries people have got the same questions and topics.

As to scoring, there are two parts of IELTS exam that are clerically marked – it means that your Answer Sheet is being checked by people who have clear instructions what answers are to be considered correct and incorrect. These two parts are the Reading and Listening and for those it doesn't matter who does the grading.

Dear all,

I do agree with Saed 2011. Its all same. As for myself, I enrolled both in BC and the institute where IDP over looks the IELTS exam. Trust me, I found BC and IDP are similar. Hard for me to quote, which one is bit tough. IELTS contains 4 parts ( Reading , writing, Speaking & Listening). In any case , I believe you will find at least 2 out of 4 sections reasonably tougher . It might be any 2. So don't bother for BC & IDP. Both of them are recognized. At end , it matters how much score you can secure.

You will be allocated very short time to answer 30-40 questions ( reading & Listening). So don't spend much time on one question. If you are not sure, skip it , try the next especially for the listening part. I found most of the candidates don't able to answer all as b'coz they wanna answer one by one. If you do so, you will definitely miss the answers for the next, cause the listening part is like conversation between parties. You are to pick answers from conversation. And the conversation shall not be repeated.

So cheers , not to worry for IELTS. I am sure all my friends here can do their best

Regards
Benidiction

yasir224

Apr 25, 2012
prince33 said:
hello..

British council is better

yasir224

Apr 25, 2012
Saeid2011 said:
what is your argument for this reply?
I have witnessed mismanagement issues at AEO
but not at British Council

DONT TAKE IT SO SERIOUS ITS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION
FROM MY PAST EXPERIENCE

iamfsw

Star Member
Sep 23, 2012
We are forgetting one thing, both the agencies are there to asses your english language... period.

band and format of the test/exam is same for IDP and british Council. Immigration office wont give you less marks if you have taken exam at IDP.. or will give you more marks if you have taken exam at british council.

I hope this is clear.