+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which has the better Education University of Alberta? or University of Calgary?

cham1o

May 28, 2012
Hi to all

Many people have told me that U of A and even my teachers agrees that U of A is better although U of C is okay too. Pls give me some pros why U of A is better in U of C? I just wanna convince my parents to study in U of A. I wanna explain it to them why is that University is better than U of C..

thanks

uarshad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It has got way better education compared to University of Calgary. It is situated in Edmonton and around 50,000 jobs are available there. It has got tons of scholarships to offer as it has a huge budget. It is among the top tier universities but highly inexpensive compared to others. I have been admitted in both and although I would probably go to McGill, If I had to choose one of them, I would have chosen Alberta. By the way talking from experience, University of Calgary sucks!

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
cham1o said:
Hi to all

Many people have told me that U of A and even my teachers agrees that U of A is better although U of C is okay too. Pls give me some pros why U of A is better in U of C? I just wanna convince my parents to study in U of A. I wanna explain it to them why is that University is better than U of C..

thanks
uAlberta is way better than uCalgary. uAlberta is an old university and is fully established, it has more alumni working in industry which help its newer bactches to get good jobs. A lot of scholarship and grants are available to students and finding part time job is also easy in Alberta (in both calgary and Edmonton). uAlberta is also ranked in the top 3 universities of Canada and is ranked way higher than uCalgary. So you should go to uAlberta.

But Edmonton is more cold as compared to Calgary. why are you parents more inclined towards uCalgary?

cham1o

May 28, 2012
Inam89 said:
uAlberta is way better than uCalgary. uAlberta is an old university and is fully established, it has more alumni working in industry which help its newer bactches to get good jobs. A lot of scholarship and grants are available to students and finding part time job is also easy in Alberta (in both calgary and Edmonton). uAlberta is also ranked in the top 3 universities of Canada and is ranked way higher than uCalgary. So you should go to uAlberta.

But Edmonton is more cold as compared to Calgary. why are you parents more inclined towards uCalgary?
My parents doesn't want me to study in UA, cuz it's far and they think I need to stay with them I until I graduate college. They think I can't take care of myself. Although I think in UA I will have a lots of opportunities or maybe I could get scholarship and thats my dream university that I wanna attend to. I still 1 year for me to convince them though.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
cham1o said:
My parents doesn't want me to study in UA, cuz it's far and they think I need to stay with them I until I graduate college. They think I can't take care of myself. Although I think in UA I will have a lots of opportunities or maybe I could get scholarship and thats my dream university that I wanna attend to. I still 1 year for me to convince them though.
Man go to UA, this will be the best time of your life. You will be away from family so you can have some kickass fun :D

“College is the best time of your life. When else are your parents going to spend several thousand dollars a year just for you to go to a strange town and get drunk every night?”
― David Wood

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
UofA is better in ranking and is much more established than UofC. UofC was UofA till they separated themselves to establish individual universities in the two cities. But when you get into job market, you won't see much of a difference since at the end of the day, it will depend on your skill and ability to secure the job and obviously the network that you have build up during your studies.

And since I am an engineering student, what I can tell is that UofA and UofC is kind of on the same platform in terms of engineering. Like while UofA got a very strong nano research team, UofC got a very VERY VERY well funded radio devices lab and one of the largest Canadian energy & environment based institute. Also what I have heard is that economics department in UofC is stronger than that of UofA. At the end, it depends on what you want to study and your capability.

And at uarshad: seriously?! UofC sucks?! How would you justify that? Because as far as I can say, non of the Canadian universities "sucks". Each and every Canadian university maintains almost a same base level of quality education. Its the funding, amount of students and researches that comes into the play of ranking universities.

uarshad said:
It has got way better education compared to University of Calgary. It is situated in Edmonton and around 50,000 jobs are available there. It has got tons of scholarships to offer as it has a huge budget. It is among the top tier universities but highly inexpensive compared to others. I have been admitted in both and although I would probably go to McGill, If I had to choose one of them, I would have chosen Alberta. By the way talking from experience, University of Calgary sucks!

Paki-Rambo

May 23, 2012
cham1o said:
Hi to all

thanks
LET me google it for you :p

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Ranking for U of A is definitely higher than U of C but that doesnt mean the quality of education is better than U of C. The quality of both are about the same, which uni u decide to attend is dependent on what u are looking for, be it ranking, program available, competitiveness, funding, major, scholarships etc. I am a Canadian educated and US educated person, and I can share with u that U of C is equally recognised and well known as U of A in the whole of Canada and both will equally get u a good job if u are personally qualified for the position. Its all dependent on yourself! Both Unis are equally good and well known, so dont just look at ranking. There are some depts in U of C that are better than U of A and vice-versa. Open yr mind, all u ignorant "think u know a lot about Canadian Unis" people! Shallow are those who only look at the ranking of the Uni. There are also plenty of great alumins from U of C, such as the prime minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, graduated from U of C, Mayor of Calgary, Graduated from U of C! so though U of A may be higher ranking, it does not mean U of C is of lower quality in terms of education and value for money!

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
abelkwh said:
Ranking for U of A is definitely higher than U of C but that doesnt mean the quality of education is better than U of C. The quality of both are about the same, which uni u decide to attend is dependent on what u are looking for, be it ranking, program available, competitiveness, funding, major, scholarships etc. I am a Canadian educated and US educated person, and I can share with u that U of C is equally recognised and well known as U of A in the whole of Canada and both will equally get u a good job if u are personally qualified for the position. Its all dependent on yourself! Both Unis are equally good and well known, so dont just look at ranking. There are some depts in U of C that are better than U of A and vice-versa. Open yr mind, all u ignorant "think u know a lot about Canadian Unis" people! Shallow are those who only look at the ranking of the Uni. There are also plenty of great alumins from U of C, such as the prime minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, graduated from U of C, Mayor of Calgary, Graduated from U of C! so though U of A may be higher ranking, it does not mean U of C is of lower quality in terms of education and value for money!
Exactly my point :D

"UofC sucks" was damn hilarious though :p

newmoon_h

Mar 10, 2012
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Obviously in terms of ranking U of A is better than U of C, but that does not mean U of C sucks. Its also a high ranked and prestigious University. As far as I know most of the Canadian Universities go through rigorous quality control, thus they ensure very high standard. Better educate yourself before telling a prestigious school sucks.

uarshad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Those guys in the UofC dont even knw how to handle a phone call. Had some bad experiences with them. They even lost my application fee check. Hence to me, if a university has such bad management, it definitely suckx.

cham1o

May 28, 2012
uarshad said:
Those guys in the UofC dont even knw how to handle a phone call. Had some bad experiences with them. They even lost my application fee check. Hence to me, if a university has such bad management, it definitely suckx.
Lol! I've decided to study in U of A, because they have the course that I really wanted to take. They have it in U of C too. Although I couldn't find what high school requirements that I need to take and I want to study away from my parents. I have the same experience with them they always hang up whenever I call them.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
uarshad said:
U of C is a good uni but yeah they also didn't handle my application well. I paid my application fee in January but they emailed me in the month of march and informed me that I havent paid my fee. I made clarification and then the finance person also mailed the department regarding my fee payment and things got settled untill April's end when I received another email from the same person stating that my application is on hold since January as I didn't pay my application fee. I again forwarded the whole email conversation to this ignorant lady and she apologized and said she updated the whole record. But the thing is although I have paid my applicaiton fee but my file was on hold till the start of May. Hence, I couldn't secure admission so far. It proves the negligence on individual level but it doesn't mean uCalgary is bad. If it wasn't good I would not have applied.

But uAlberta is far better and I am given admission for fall 2012 :)

uarshad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cham1o said:
Lol! I've decided to study in U of A, because they have the course that I really wanted to take. They have it in U of C too. Although I couldn't find what high school requirements that I need to take and I want to study away from my parents. I have the same experience with them they always hang up whenever I call them.
Dude thats great. which course are you going to take in U of A. you see I am having a same situation here. between McGill and Alberta. I personally wanna go to McGill but as I have 3 Scholarships in Alberta, My dad wants to send me there. It is great for his pocket you know. If I go to Alberta, we might bump into each other. I am going for undergraduate electrical engineering by the way.