+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHICH CITY OR NEIGHBOURHOOD WILL YOU RECOMMEND IN BC FOR A FAMILY COMING IN NEWLY

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
As an FYI, the post you responded to has a lot of bad info and mentions resources that are not available to you since you are an international student. You won't qualify for any subsidies or social housing or any rental assistance programs.
Well noted. Thank you so much

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well noted. Thank you so much
L
Most will not rent to you without meeting with you in Canada and you don’t want to rent anything without seeing an apartment especially more affordable options because many you will not want to rent. Does your spouse already have a work permit? They will need to work to be able to even attempt to afford to live in Vancouver and also have a car based on the limited information you have stated. It is difficult for a family to afford to live in Vancouver even with 2 full-time incomes. Have you considered arriving without your family and exploring whether you can actually find an affordable rental before they come to Canada? Even arriving just you and your spouse so you can live cheaply while trying to secure employment that starts after the first day of school at UBC and housing? It is much easier to rough it as adults but I would not want to make my children live in substandard housing even temporarily. Private AirBNBs for multiple weeks while you try to find housing will be expensive. At least as adults you could consider renting a room in someone’s home as an AirBnB. How much savings can you show because many landlords will want proof of credit or employment which you won’t have? Many end up offering 3-6 months rent in advance for example in lieu of proof of credit or full-time employment. It is much easier as single person because you can rent shared accommodations or a room. Canada is facing a housing affordability and supply issue so you will be competing with many other people for most rentals especially if you are looking to move around August-September 1st. Think you need to look at your budget and the cost of living in Vancouver. Having a car will also cost quite a lot of money. You may be able to afford the car but insurance and the cost of gas is extremely high especially for newcomers. If purchasing an older car for under 10k you can also run into some large maintenance bills. I woke strongly encourage you to do more research. The fact that you suggested that your housing budget was $1200 originally shows you have no idea what the cost of living is in Canada and especially Vancouver.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
L
Most will not rent to you without meeting with you in Canada and you don’t want to rent anything without seeing an apartment especially more affordable options because many you will not want to rent. Does your spouse already have a work permit? They will need to work to be able to even attempt to afford to live in Vancouver and also have a car based on the limited information you have stated. It is difficult for a family to afford to live in Vancouver even with 2 full-time incomes. Have you considered arriving without your family and exploring whether you can actually find an affordable rental before they come to Canada? Even arriving just you and your spouse so you can live cheaply while trying to secure employment that starts after the first day of school at UBC and housing? It is much easier to rough it as adults but I would not want to make my children live in substandard housing even temporarily. Private AirBNBs for multiple weeks while you try to find housing will be expensive. At least as adults you could consider renting a room in someone’s home as an AirBnB. How much savings can you show because many landlords will want proof of credit or employment which you won’t have? Many end up offering 3-6 months rent in advance for example in lieu of proof of credit or full-time employment. It is much easier as single person because you can rent shared accommodations or a room. Canada is facing a housing affordability and supply issue so you will be competing with many other people for most rentals especially if you are looking to move around August-September 1st. Think you need to look at your budget and the cost of living in Vancouver. Having a car will also cost quite a lot of money. You may be able to afford the car but insurance and the cost of gas is extremely high especially for newcomers. If purchasing an older car for under 10k you can also run into some large maintenance bills. I woke strongly encourage you to do more research. The fact that you suggested that your housing budget was $1200 originally shows you have no idea what the cost of living is in Canada and especially Vancouver.
OP live in the dorm alone for the first year (as per my previous suggestion) would be more affordable and easier than renting a two bedroom and then sublet (and manage the other one as airbnb) and own a car. You do realise OP is an international student?

Let say the spouse has a Work Permit and you suggest her to work. Then who would take care of the 7 year old? The older sister/son who is still a minor? Or you would volunteer to look after them?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP live in the dorm alone for the first year (as per my previous suggestion) would be more affordable and easier than renting a two bedroom and then sublet (and manage the other one as airbnb) and own a car. You do realise OP is an international student?

Let say the spouse has a Work Permit and you suggest her to work. Then who would take care of the 7 year old? The older sister/son who is still a minor? Or you would volunteer to look after them?
There are limited form spots especially for mature students. You do realize that most mothers of 7 year old’s work.

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
L
so insightful. thank you so much. I am already considering so many factors now to make it easy. I quite appreciate

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Same goes for other first year students. Even so, they can still apply and try to get a spot.
There is only a very small fraction of on campus housing for mature students compared to typical aged unmarried or without children undergraduate students.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is only a very small fraction of on campus housing for mature students compared to typical aged unmarried or without children undergraduate students.
Like I said, they can still try to apply for dorm.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most mothers of elementary students don’t work from home or work part-time they work full-time mostly out of the home that is why after school care exists.
LOL! 13 year old are elementary students!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Like I said, they can still try to apply for dorm.
A family doesn’t apply to dorms. They apply for mature student housing if it is available at the schools. The amount of housing for mature students is minimal if existent at all at most schools.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
LOL! 13 year old are elementary students!
You referred to parents of 7 years not being able to work full-time outside the home which is just not true. Some 13 year olds are actually graduating grade 6 so they could still be in elementary school not that it matters.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A family doesn’t apply to dorms. They apply for mature student housing if it is available at the schools. The amount of housing for mature students is minimal if existent at all at most schools.
No one said family to apply dorms. What's wrong with students themselves to apply dorms?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You referred to parents of 7 years not being able to work full-time outside the home which is just not true. Some 13 year olds are actually graduating grade 6 so they could still be in elementary school not that it matters.
I also referred to parents of 13 year old. Read the previous pages.