+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When should I cancel my OINP application?

demonpreet

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
I have submitted my PR application under the OINP Masters Graduate stream. I submitted it 15 days ago. I haven't received AoR for this application.

Just last week, I got ITA for Express Entry and since it is a quicker path, today I submitted my application under Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class as well. I have received AoR for this application.

So should I go ahead and cancel my OINP application or should I wait for some more time so that my Express Entry application gets reviewed for completion and then cancel my OINP application?

Ideally, I would want to cancel OINP as soon as I can so that I can get a full refund and I believe that happens if I cancel before AoR. At the same time, I want to make sure my application for Express Entry is complete.

Kindly suggest what to do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have submitted my PR application under the OINP Masters Graduate stream. I submitted it 15 days ago. I haven't received AoR for this application.

Just last week, I got ITA for Express Entry and since it is a quicker path, today I submitted my application under Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class as well. I have received AoR for this application.

So should I go ahead and cancel my OINP application or should I wait for some more time so that my Express Entry application gets reviewed for completion and then cancel my OINP application?

Ideally, I would want to cancel OINP as soon as I can so that I can get a full refund and I believe that happens if I cancel before AoR. At the same time, I want to make sure my application for Express Entry is complete.

Kindly suggest what to do.
It's your choice when you cancel. EE AOR doesn't indicate that your application has passed the eligibility stage. That doesn't happen until later.

Ideally you would want to wait until EE is approved before withdrawing OINP but if you wait that long you may not get a full refund on OINP. Ultimately your call on how high a confidence level you have that the EE application is going to be approved.

demonpreet

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
It's your choice when you cancel. EE AOR doesn't indicate that your application has passed the eligibility stage. That doesn't happen until later.

Ideally you would want to wait until EE is approved before withdrawing OINP but if you wait that long you may not get a full refund on OINP. Ultimately your call on how high a confidence level you have that the EE application is going to be approved.
Thanks for the response @scylla.

So after AoR for EE, you mean there won't be any update for the application for some time?

I submitted my last EE application in which my IELTS Expired between ITA and application submission. That application was returned in 4 days. So I was thinking maybe it gets reviewed for completeness in 4-5 days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the response @scylla.

So after AoR for EE, you mean there won't be any update for the application for some time?

I submitted my last EE application in which my IELTS Expired between ITA and application submission. That application was returned in 4 days. So I was thinking maybe it gets reviewed for completeness in 4-5 days.
Completeness is different than eligibility. Completenss means that your application meets the basic requirements (such as valid IELTS). Eligibility means that you meet all of the requirements of the program. Eligibility will not happen in 4-5 days.

demonpreet

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Completeness is different than eligibility. Completenss means that your application meets the basic requirements (such as valid IELTS). Eligibility means that you meet all of the requirements of the program. Eligibility will not happen in 4-5 days.
In how much time does Eligibility Review happen?
And what is the expected time for AoR for OINP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In how much time does Eligibility Review happen?
And what is the expected time for AoR for OINP?
Processing times are really varied for EE right now. Eligibility could possibly just take a few weeks or it many be a number of months. It's really impossible to say for sure.

I don't know when you can expect AOR for OINP. I'm not familiar enough with the processing times.

blabib10

Apr 13, 2023
Hi All,

I have passed my eligibility and just submitted an upfront medical, but was then laid off on the pnp job offer stream, if OINP cancels my nomination will IRCC cancel the application despite being so close to the finish line, and obtaining a reconsideration for the pnp not to be cancelled?

Hope you can help, as it is rather nerve racking

mrpablo

Dec 17, 2023
hi @demonpreet ,
Thanks for starting this thread, the way you articulated your situation is very easy to understand so thanks for that too.

I'm curious though, did you already get your PR via EE?
Did you keep your OINP as a backup or did you end up getting a refund?
Lastly, would you recommend to keep the OINP as a backup?

Hope to get additional info from you.
Thank you very much!