+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would set off a red flag?

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Those of you that have helped me before, may now know that I've decided to go with my original plan, to get married and apply for PR through being sponsored by my husband.

So, what would set off a red flag regarding a relationship besides:

large age difference.
Never met in person.

would there be any others?

I must apologize for asking so many questions, immigration makes me feel extremely nervous, makes me think of the way immigration was on the movie "Children of Men."

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are a number. I don't necessarily think that one of these things on their own is a red flag. But in combination they could be a problem. If you have any possible "red flag" issues in your application (my husband and I had a significant age gap) my recommendation would be to address them openly. A few other possible red flags could be:

- different religions
- different cultural backgrounds
- different educational backgrounds
- different professional backrounds
- no formal wedding/reception
- family not at wedding
- friends not at wedding
- no/few trips together
- no/few trips to see each other
- very short period between first meeting (i.e. first getting to know each other) and marriage
- quick proposal after first meeting, followed by quick marriage
- haven't met each other's parents
- haven't met each other's friends

I'm sure there are more.

As Douglas Adams said - don't panic. :) Focus on providing as much supporting documentation as you can in the areas where you have strengths. Explain your areas of weakness.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder if Catholic and Baptist would be a problem....I mean, it's still both Christian.

cultural backgrounds should not be a problem, I mean Canada is part of the meting pot.

But he's hispanic, born Canadian, I'm just, some white American girl. :/

I hope our age will be taken into consideration when regards to the "non formal wedding." and the fact that non of my friends or family have passports.

God...the only thing I have going for us is the fact that we're just "high school sweethearts"

It's like...you have to be rich if you want to live with the person you love that's from a different country.
I wish money didn't matter.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
I agree to address the issues. We have a significant age difference but have spent a large amount of time before marriage together. No big wedding is planned as it is not a first one for us and we will address that also. He has met my father and sister so that helps but I have met most of his friends in Toronto and Edmonton. Just make sure you document what you can. No relationship is carbon copy perfect.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
right, I mean the more I look into make sure everything is right...and what I should show and what to avoid

It's like you have to be freakin Barbie and Ken with lots of money and two kids named Sally and John in order for immigration to be like "okay your in."

You you have to be form the ages of 27-38, and had already been established together for there to be no problems what-so-ever.

leenicka06

Aug 7, 2008
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
14-08-2010
that's actually not true. I am 22 and my wife is 25. We are in a homosexual relationship and definitely do not have the perfect relationship of Ken and Barbie!~!!

All you need to do is prove that you are genuine.... as all relationships should be

anik1981

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Late May
AOR Received.
06-Aug-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-Feb-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-Mar-11
LANDED..........
04-Mar-11
rafflone said:
right, I mean the more I look into make sure everything is right...and what I should show and what to avoid

It's like you have to be freakin Barbie and Ken with lots of money and two kids named Sally and John in order for immigration to be like "okay your in."

You you have to be form the ages of 27-38, and had already been established together for there to be no problems what-so-ever.
The key is to not over think things, or you will drive yourself mad throughout the process. Do your best to show your relationship is genuine, and CIC will see it for what it is. I think there is such a thing as overkill when putting together an application. The rule of quality vs. quantity applies here in my opinion. Unless they make a Fast Food Barbie, then I'm no Barbie, and money...there's supposed to be a (-) in front of your bank account total, right?!? CIC are not out to get anyone, they are, believe it or not, there to protect the interest of the Canadian spouse, and Canada. Some people unfortunately will hit bumps (or MAJOR potholes) during the immigration process, but things usually turn out fine in the end, it just takes longer than average.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anik1981 said:
The key is to not over think things, or you will drive yourself mad throughout the process. Do your best to show your relationship is genuine, and CIC will see it for what it is. I think there is such a thing as overkill when putting together an application. The rule of quality vs. quantity applies here in my opinion. Unless they make a Fast Food Barbie, then I'm no Barbie, and money...there's supposed to be a (-) in front of your bank account total, right?!? CIC are not out to get anyone, they are, believe it or not, there to protect the interest of the Canadian spouse, and Canada. Some people unfortunately will hit bumps (or MAJOR potholes) during the immigration process, but things usually turn out fine in the end, it just takes longer than average.
I do have the tendency to over analyse things, I had the hardest time solving word problems in school as well.

What you said really eased me, and thank you. I feel that when I look at what prof I have, it feels like it's enough. I just hope that the marriage timing would be looked as "we don't want to be away from each other because we love each other." vers "just for immigration, point blank."

anik1981

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Late May
AOR Received.
06-Aug-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-Feb-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-Mar-11
LANDED..........
04-Mar-11
rafflone said:
"we don't want to be away from each other because we love each other." vers "just for immigration, point blank."
We got married Feb 27, 2010, put everything together during the first week of March (I took it off), and we sent the application mid-March...it was sent back, and we resubmitted in May, but that's another story.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so, it got sent back because something wasn't filled right?

I'll take that over

Denied

But you got accepted? And the interview wavered?

I hope I don't have to go into an interview....I'm not an experienced flyer

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Get off the money thing - it has no bearing whatsoever. If you and your honey have a "genuine" relationship, you have nothing to worry about. Are you in this relationship just to get into Canada? If not, then it's "genuine". And if you're genuine and you've been living apart for however long, you'll have evidence of letters, emails, chats, phone bills, trips to see one another, etc. Not having family at your wedding is not a deal breaker if there's a logical explanation - my family was 2700 miles from where we married and my Mom was 82. My dad had passed away. My sons were in school. Our wedding was attended by his daughter and son, my daughter, his mother, sister, niece, nephew-in-law, his best friend and my daughter's best friend (hubby's bf's daughter). Eleven people, at City Hall, by the Mayor. But we had started out as friends 4 years earlier, fallen in love 3 years earlier and maintained a long distance relationship all that time. We didn't have tons of proof, but it was genuine and there were no questions. And neither of us - being divorcees - had much more than a few dollars to our name.

If it's real, you'll be able to show it. Lots of non-genuine couples manage huge, elaborate expensive weddings that don't mean anything because they can't even prove they stay in touch. Be yourselves - be transparent. If you're real, it will shine through. If you're not, they are trained to see it. The very LAST thing I worried about was that they'd think we weren't genuine.

anik1981

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Late May
AOR Received.
06-Aug-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-Feb-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-Mar-11
LANDED..........
04-Mar-11
rafflone said:
so, it got sent back because something wasn't filled right?...But you got accepted? And the interview wavered?
I forgot 4 little check marks!...dumb!! We got a Passport Request without an interview, and our application was more concise. No extra fluff...we really didn't have any to offer, and I didn't care to create any. I hate flying with a PASSION...but they sell beer on the plane, AND at the airport during layovers lol ;)

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's true, normally people who have lots of money and are married have problems, and often aren't close.

While people who don't have much are close, since it's all they have.

I'm here for him, I could care less about being in Canada, it just happened to be the place that he had citizenship in, and he's only here because of that, and the fact that he can go to collage here.

I would rather live in Greece, since my dream place to live.

I don't want to go to collage here, since I make enough money through free lance digital art commissions. plus and kinda blew my chances at going to my dream collage: SCAD

So like he told me when he was in the Us: "You are the only good thing here."

but thank you RobsLuv

The over all outline is easy to understand; it's just the details that scare me, the little things.

anik1981 said:
I forgot 4 little check marks!...dumb!! We got a Passport Request without an interview, and our application was more concise. No extra fluff...we really didn't have any to offer, and I didn't care to create any. I hate flying with a PASSION...but they sell beer on the plane, AND at the airport during layovers lol ;)
so, over all it went pretty smooth? Thats good! I hope mine does too, TSA scared me outta ever flying again, I didn't get the pat down, but I must have the thing for scaring the crap outta myself. And I don't think they'll let a 20 year old drink on the plane, and getting wasted before an interview isn't the best thing, maybe some night quill, yeah I'd go with that. lol.

So how long did it take over all minus the missing 4 check marks, when it did get sent back to you, did they tell you whats wrong with it? Or expect you to find out yourself?

anik1981

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Late May
AOR Received.
06-Aug-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-Feb-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-Mar-11
LANDED..........
04-Mar-11
rafflone said:
so, over all it went pretty smooth? Thats good! I hope mine does too, TSA scared me outta ever flying again, I didn't get the pat down, but I must have the thing for scaring the crap outta myself. And I don't think they'll let a 20 year old drink on the plane, and getting wasted before an interview isn't the best thing, maybe some night quill, yeah I'd go with that. lol.

So how long did it take over all minus the missing 4 check marks, when it did get sent back to you, did they tell you whats wrong with it? Or expect you to find out yourself?
Smooth as silk...just long. HAHA I can imagine the IO if you showed up drunk. OUCH!!

We sent the app mid March, and it came back mid April. There was a letter explaining what we omitted, and the section was highlighted. We had sent the app without the FBI certificate, Ohio Police Check or Marriage Certificate, and attached letters explaining why they would follow, but we got the Ohio check back while we had the app in our hands, and decided to wait for the other stuff. Once that was received we mailed the app back out.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anik1981 said:
Smooth as silk...just long. HAHA I can imagine the IO if you showed up drunk. OUCH!!

We sent the app mid March, and it came back mid April. There was a letter explaining what we omitted, and the section was highlighted. We had sent the app without the FBI certificate, Ohio Police Check or Marriage Certificate, and attached letters explaining why they would follow, but we got the Ohio check back while we had the app in our hands, and decided to wait for the other stuff. Once that was received we mailed the app back out.
wait...do I need a Police Check? I thought thats what the FBI was D8

But thats good, I'm glad they show what was missed.