+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to say at the Border

Savande.Sem

Dec 4, 2023
This all has been very informative on the route of common-law, what would the process be like if we were to just get married? Easier I assume? Would we need to wait X amount of time after the marriage to apply? etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This all has been very informative on the route of common-law, what would the process be like if we were to just get married? Easier I assume? Would we need to wait X amount of time after the marriage to apply? etc.
Once you get married, you can be sponsored immediately.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Getting married would be MUCH easier and quicker in your circumstance (all your previous time together, insufficient for common law because not continuous, would serve as strong relationship proof).

You would have to wait for the marriage certificate (not the marriage license nor the thing that the officiant signs after the ceremony, at least in most Canadian provinces). That is, I think, 2-8 weeks in most provinces (highly dependent). Basically the same in most US states but more variance in documents (that is, a few states do it a bit differently / terminology is a bit different).

Savande.Sem

Dec 4, 2023
Getting married would be MUCH easier and quicker in your circumstance (all your previous time together, insufficient for common law because not continuous, would serve as strong relationship proof).

You would have to wait for the marriage certificate (not the marriage license nor the thing that the officiant signs after the ceremony, at least in most Canadian provinces). That is, I think, 2-8 weeks in most provinces (highly dependent). Basically the same in most US states but more variance in documents (that is, a few states do it a bit differently / terminology is a bit different).
I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the later side of waiting, Quebec can be a bit... annoying.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the later side of waiting, Quebec can be a bit... annoying.
Is your sponsor in Quebec? If so, that's actually bad news.

Quebec has put in caps for sponsorship PR approvals and the estimated processing times are 2-3 years right now (much less for all other provinces).

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If going the common law route make sure to collect proof of the 1 year living together. For example signing a lease together starting when you start the 1 year period. Collecting mail with your names, the date and the same address. Have mail with dates from the first day living together all the way through the 365 days. Would focus on proof from the beginning and end of the 1 year with some proof every few months.