+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what rights does PR card give?

Phil15

Sep 2, 2016
Hi guys I am looking to immigrate to Canada for living, as I understand from the cic website
to get a PR card you will need to be selected from the Pool and hence get your PR card should you
have been selected and accepted the application (best chances would be to get a job offer).
Once you get a PR card are you obliged to work for that employer for 4 years until citizenship?
Can you change employers, live of your own savings, organize a start-up?

Reading the cic for citizenship application it states : time you have lived in Canada (residence),
income tax filing,
intent to reside,
language skills

Why income tax filling does this mean there are a certain number of hours you are obliged to work?
Just a bit confused at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Phil

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you get your PR, you are not obligated to start working for your job offer employer or if you do start working for him, you can quit any time.

As a PR, you can start your own business, work for anybody who wants to hire you or not work at all if you can afford it.

Once you settle in Canada, you are obligated to start filing taxes, even if you have no income. You can not apply for citizenship unless you have been living in Canada and if you were living in Canada, you would have had to file taxes.

Phil15

Sep 2, 2016
I see so filling taxes does not necessarily mean I have to get paid or have any income..
I just need to do the filling. Thank you, that is clear now.

Could you please tell me how long does it take to get the PR Card or PR approved,
could not find it anywhere, just tells me I must apply through (Federal Skilled Worker Program)
to be selected, do you get it once you are selected or once you worked for certain period of time?

Thank you for your input,
Phil

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phil15 said:
I see so filling taxes does not necessarily mean I have to get paid or have any income..
I just need to do the filling. Thank you, that is clear now.

Could you please tell me how long does it take to get the PR Card or PR approved,
could not find it anywhere, just tells me I must apply through (Federal Skilled Worker Program)
to be selected, do you get it once you are selected or once you worked for certain period of time?

Thank you for your input,
Phil
With the express entry program, you add up your points and put your name in the pool. If you are selected, you are invited to apply for PR status. The processing time after applying for PR status was about 6 months last time I checked. Once you get the PR visa, you have a certain amount of time to land in Canada to activate your PR status. If you let the visa expire and don't use it, you would have to apply again. If you do land in Canada, you become a permanent resident and the PR card is sent to you in the mail within a couple of months.

There are other ways to apply such as getting a work permit and starting to work in Canada and then applying under different immigration classes as well as some provinces have programs especially for investors or businessmen.

Phil15

Sep 2, 2016
Leon said:
With the express entry program, you add up your points and put your name in the pool. If you are selected, you are invited to apply for PR status. The processing time after applying for PR status was about 6 months last time I checked. Once you get the PR visa, you have a certain amount of time to land in Canada to activate your PR status. If you let the visa expire and don't use it, you would have to apply again. If you do land in Canada, you become a permanent resident and the PR card is sent to you in the mail within a couple of months.

There are other ways to apply such as getting a work permit and starting to work in Canada and then applying under different immigration classes as well as some provinces have programs especially for investors or businessmen.
So once you get the PR card you are free to apply for Canadian citizenship once you only lived in Canada for 4 years (the government does not mind if you had not job or business or income) ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Phil15 said:
So once you get the PR card you are free to apply for Canadian citizenship once you only lived in Canada for 4 years (the government does not mind if you had not job or business or income) ?
Correct.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Just to nit-pick here: The main benefit of your PR card is the ability to board a commercial vehicle to Canada. It is your proof to commercial carriers that you are a resident of Canada. You can be a PR and not have a PR card. Some people use PR and PR card interchangeably.

Phil15

Sep 2, 2016
keesio said:
Just to nit-pick here: The main benefit of your PR card is the ability to board a commercial vehicle to Canada. It is your proof to commercial carriers that you are a resident of Canada. You can be a PR and not have a PR card. Some people use PR and PR card interchangeably.
Thanks for clarifying, to be honest I am more shocked by the fact that I can get a PR as a developer in some unpopular Province but in half a year, work as a cleaner somewhere like Ontario. I mean, I thought there were some rules, whilst it`s great for me as I can be more a less free doing what I like in terms of starting a business, other people can just exploit this system..but I do appreciate the input from this forum, it`s been fantastic.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Phil15 said:
Thanks for clarifying, to be honest I am more shocked by the fact that I can get a PR as a developer in some unpopular Province but in half a year, work as a cleaner somewhere like Ontario. I mean, I thought there were some rules, whilst it`s great for me as I can be more a less free doing what I like in terms of starting a business, other people can just exploit this system..but I do appreciate the input from this forum, it`s been fantastic.
A PR has certain rights across the board. One of those rights is the ability to live and work whereever in Canada that you choose. It is not restricted like a Work Visa. So you can apply for PR under a certain program with the goal of having people live in a certain area but you can't be held to it forever. And yes, this system can (and does) get exploited like any system can.