+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the scope of job after a post graduate diploma?

ashish_kalra8

Oct 13, 2012
can any one please suggest me what is the scope of job as i am planning to do post graduate diploma in project management . I am a btech graduate and m getting admission in george brown college and humber but I dont konw do industries over there give employment to post graduate diploma student or they hire only master's student?please help me out....

jijuanair

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
Dear Ashish,

To get a job with your qualification after PG will be a bit difficult eventhough its not impossible.You didnt mention if you have any work experience.If you provide your background i can give you more answers.

As per the current situation i will strongly recommend you to take a 2 year program wherein you will get 3 years work permit.provide more details for better advise.

Thannks

rwilliams

Oct 2, 2012
This is from my personal experience, in Canada reference matters, knowing people and networking is the key. I know guys fresh our of college landing into a high paying top notch companies - same time guys working at hotel or store. so talk to people , spread ur wings, attend conferences, keep networking , u never know who might be interested.

with me 14 days after graduation - got decent job in my field -

i wish u best of luck

Reactions: DaWebWiz

mehta008

Jan 19, 2017
can any one please suggest me what is the scope of job as i am planning to do post graduate diploma in project management . I am a btech graduate and i have 4 years of experience in Infrastructure Works ( 3 Years in Doha Qatar ) .

J_J

Aug 2, 2018
This is from my personal experience, in Canada reference matters, knowing people and networking is the key. I know guys fresh our of college landing into a high paying top notch companies - same time guys working at hotel or store. so talk to people , spread ur wings, attend conferences, keep networking , u never know who might be interested.

with me 14 days after graduation - got decent job in my field -

i wish u best of luck
Hi,

I am planning to take Project Management Degree from Seneca/Sheridan. I have 4 years of work experience in IT as Senior software engineer . I too worry about getting jobs after degree since most companies ask for managerial experiance of min 2 years.

Really confused on taking this degree.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

I am planning to take Project Management Degree from Seneca/Sheridan. I have 4 years of work experience in IT as Senior software engineer . I too worry about getting jobs after degree since most companies ask for managerial experiance of min 2 years.

Really confused on taking this degree.
Guess it really depends what your motivation is to study in Canada whether it is simply to enhance your skills before returning to your home country or to use the study permit as a means to emigrate to Canada eventually.

The challenge most have is employers look for Canadian work experience so no matter what anyone studies that
Is often the first obstacle. That together with taking just a one year course as with PM which then only qualifies for a one year PGWP not enough time to get work experience unless lucky enough to walk straight into a job which is why generally recommendation is to either find a 2 year course or 2x1 back to back to get a 3 year PGWP.

Also I read the PM course is a 1 year post graduate certificate and not a degree course by the way not that really changes anything.

Cannot answer about job prospects but would assume more opportunities in the interim as a SW engineer than as a PM without PM experience.

Reactions: canuck78

J_J

Aug 2, 2018
Guess it really depends what your motivation is to study in Canada whether it is simply to enhance your skills before returning to your home country or to use the study permit as a means to emigrate to Canada eventually.

The challenge most have is employers look for Canadian work experience so no matter what anyone studies that
Is often the first obstacle. That together with taking just a one year course as with PM which then only qualifies for a one year PGWP not enough time to get work experience unless lucky enough to walk straight into a job which is why generally recommendation is to either find a 2 year course or 2x1 back to back to get a 3 year PGWP.

Also I read the PM course is a 1 year post graduate certificate and not a degree course by the way not that really changes anything.

Cannot answer about job prospects but would assume more opportunities in the interim as a SW engineer than as a PM without PM experience.

Thank you so much for the response.

This is the course am planning to look into.

https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/project-management

Also i thought like i could take a PMP certification after my course.

Will that support my job prospects?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As @Bs65 most International students are taking studying in Canada to immigrate. Many of the program will not help immediately or may not help at all. Really depends on your background. An MBA from a decent Canadian school would be different. Most would never consider it because of the cost. I would anticipate getting a job similar to what you were previously doing but perhaps not quite at the same level and moving up from there. A diploma/certificate/degree is the cost of admission and a way to weed out some candidates.

Reactions: Mizdee19