+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the procedure for Common Law Partner

Sameer khanz

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Hi All,

Can some one with expirience guide me about how to get Visit visa for Common Law Partner and what will be proofs i need to gather to proof about our relationship.

I got my PR already but to save time I want to Take her to Canada in order to avoid delays for her PR.

Thanks in Advance :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Try the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.

I assume you were not common law before you landed in Canada and became a PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add to my note above... If you have your PR visa but haven't yet landed in Canada and you are already common law (have lived with someone for a year or more) - then you cannot use your PR visa to land. You'll have to return your PR visa, let CIC know that you have a common law partner, and add that partner to your application. CIC will then have to issue a visa to both of you before you can come to Canada. In this scenario sponsoring your common law partner later isn't possible. You have to add them to your application now (before you land and become a PR).

SGPMan

Mar 24, 2014
I just got my PR card renewed. When I picked up the card I was asked by CIC how would I maintain my residency. I mentioned that my wife recently became a citizen and with that I will use the status of accompanying a citizen to maintain my residency. She mentioned that in this case, I should be accompanying her and not the way around. If she is only a housewife it will not count. Though I read in the earlier post it does not matter who accompanies who, as long as we can show we are living together and are a married couple that should suffice.

Can anyone confirm which is what in this scenario??

Thanks

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
This is a very good question. I didn't know it could matter who's accompanying whom... Did you pick up your card from a front desk clerk at a CIC location? I'm having trouble believing those people know what they are talking about...

SGPMan said:
I just got my PR card renewed. When I picked up the card I was asked by CIC how would I maintain my residency. I mentioned that my wife recently became a citizen and with that I will use the status of accompanying a citizen to maintain my residency. She mentioned that in this case, I should be accompanying her and not the way around. If she is only a housewife it will not count. Though I read in the earlier post it does not matter who accompanies who, as long as we can show we are living together and are a married couple that should suffice.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ZingyDNA said:
This is a very good question. I didn't know it could matter who's accompanying whom... Did you pick up your card from a front desk clerk at a CIC location? I'm having trouble believing those people know what they are talking about...
They don't know what they are talking about. It doesn't matter who was accompanying whom provided you live together.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
SGPMan said:

Thanks
I posted an in-depth response to this same query in another topic:

dpenabill said:
Older cases were split, CIC or CBSA (depending on who was conducting the residency examination) sometimes distinguishing cases in which the Canadian citizen was clearly abroad to accompany the PR. Even then, however, the majority of the cases were based on whether the couple was living together, with no regard for who would be said to be accompanying whom. Thus, even then, in the majority of cases, proof of qualified relationship (marriage certificate best), partner's Canadian citizenship (copy of passport), and proof of cohabitation (see family class sponsorships for full discussion of what constitutes proof of cohabitation) sufficed to qualify for the accompanying-a-Canadian-citizen-partner credit toward residency.

More recently (last few years), with very few and (in my view) distinguishable exceptions, the case law has consistently applied the latter approach, and the last time I checked (perhaps a couple months ago) this was also how the applicable CIC operational manual prescribes it should be . . . so until very recently, at the least, with distinguishable exceptions, the living abroad with Canadian citizen spouse (partner in qualified relationship) credit is available to a PR who PROVES:
-- qualified relationship
-- partner's Canadian citizenship, and
-- cohabitation
. . . [plus further analysis]
I did not cite the primary authority, which is the applicable statutory provision (section 28(2)(a)(ii) IRPA) or the applicable regulation (Section 61(4) in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations). The latter (which I quote below) generally supports the observation made by scylla:

scylla said:
They don't know what they are talking about. It doesn't matter who was accompanying whom provided you live together.
And I understand that CIC staff are generally not a reliable source of information about CIC's policies or practices, so it can be easy to dismiss such a comment . . . but in reference to CIC policy and practice regarding the PR Residency Obligation, there is no doubt about the trend at CIC in recent years, which has been to be increasingly tough and strict in the way it applies and enforces the PR RO, including how it interprets the applicable statutory and regulatory provisions. Note, in particular, the almost draconian interpretation and application of the provision giving credit for being employed by a Canadian business.

Thus, I am not so quick to totally dismiss the CIC staff comment. I don't think one can categorically characterize the source of this comment as someone who does not know what they are talking about. As I noted in my other post, there are older cases in which at least IAD did indeed reject the appeal of PRs denied a PR TD based on a strict analysis of who was accompanying whom . . . noting, though, that this approach was sternly criticized and rejected in at least three Federal Court decisions (reminder: Federal Court decisions have limited precedence, while tending to be a strong indication of the law and entitled to comity, technically their decisions are only binding in the particular case being decided -- and as I recall, there was at least one earlier Federal Court decision which did indeed base its decision on who was accompanying whom, based on an analysis of what "accompanying" means), subsequent to which I have seen no further splitting-of-hairs (so to say) regarding who is accompanying whom . . . except in three specific instances that I recall (and discuss in my post in the other topic).

Relative to the accompanying a partner credit in particular, however, and as I noted in the other topic, the forums are rife with examples of cases in which ". . . PRs are pushing-the-envelope . . . that is, relying on a more or less technical application of this credit without really maintaining much of a connection to permanently residing in Canada."

It would not be the least bit surprising to see this government moving toward a tougher, more strict interpretation and application of this credit, as prescribed in section 28(2)(a)(ii) IRPA. The statute states the credit for days a PR is accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad this way:

"they [the PR] are . . . outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent"

The current Regulation (Section 61(4) in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations) states:

"For the purposes of [the provisions prescribing the credit for accompanying a citizen], a permanent resident is accompanying outside Canada a Canadian citizen . . . — who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent — on each day that the permanent resident is ordinarily residing with the Canadian citizen"

I emphasized that this is the current regulation because while both statutory provisions and regulations are always subject to change, changes to regulations do not require the approval of Parliament so long as they are a legitimate exercise of the agency's authority and are consistent with the governing statutory provisions . . . so the process for changing a regulation is both easier and typically takes a lot less time than amending statutes.

But it should be emphasized that changes can also be made at the statutory level any given year.

It is too late for any changes to be made in the applicable statute before the election, and practically too late for the regulation to be amended before then as well. It has been the Harper government which has increasingly pursued tougher and more strict enforcement of the PR Residency Obligation, so whether the current policy is likely to change, toward a tougher approach, may depend on the outcome of this year's Federal election.

Regarding the exceptions I allude to, from my other post:

dpenabill said:
. . . very isolated cases, in which proof of just being together has failed to be given credit toward the PR Residency Obligation. Two of the three that come to mind were cases where the PR was living and working abroad and the citizen-partner was living in Canada, and the citizen-partner went abroad to join the PR . . . no hint the PR had any established connection to Canada except having landed (at some point) and having a citizen-partner. Additionally, in these two cases, the citizen-partner was still spending at least a significant amount of time in Canada apart from the PR (the extent of time apart appearing to be contrary to the PR accompanying the citizen-partner). The third case that comes to mind involved a PR living abroad for a long while then marrying a Canadian citizen, and then two plus years later (or so, maybe it was longer, my recall is not clear) applying for a PR Travel Document and it was rejected based on distinguishing the citizen-partner's as accompanying the PR, not the PR accompanying the citizen-partner.
For now, and particularly for the ordinary case in which the PR and citizen spouse are living together abroad, there is probably no danger of CIC or CBSA engaging in assessing who is accompanying whom.

But the comment from CIC staff could be an indicator of a pending change in CIC's approach.

The current regulation tends to make it clear that "accompanying" means "ordinarily residing with . . . " and thus generally speaking, living together suffices.

But this government tends to drill into provisions like this and it is feasible that the term "ordinarily residing with" in the regulation could be the basis for distinguishing some cases . . . noting, for example, that standard rules of construction deem no term in a provision to be superfluous, so something more than just "residing with" is implicated.

My sense is there may be some change on the horizon toward distinguishing situations in which a PR is working and living abroad while the rest of the family "ordinarily" resides in Canada (especially if they are collecting particular benefits in Canada, maintaining health care coverage and so on . . . remember this year changes to IRPA were implemented expanding the information gathering and more particularly information sharing with other government bodies) . . . and in these situations, periods of living together abroad, say five months here, six months there, might be at risk for no credit.

This is largely guesswork . . . and I suspect it also depends on whether the Minister of CIC is a Tory come November, or a member of the NDP (I suppose the lesser party Liberals have some chance of forming a government as well) . . . but there are two trends in play, the trend to get tougher on PRs whose connection to a life in Canada is minimal, and the trend to crack down on families collecting benefits in Canada while the partner/parent is living and working outside Canada (not paying Canadian taxes).

In other words, it would be prudent for PRs living abroad, and who have been relying on credit toward the PR RO based on accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, to pay attention to potential changes in CIC policies and practices regarding this.

SGPMan

Mar 24, 2014
I did pick the card from the CIC counter in Vancouver and the lady did mention that if my wife who is Canadian is only with me as a housewife then that may not count though she did say for me to contact CIC help centre to get clarification. I guess she was not sure as well....

I also check CIC website from a link from a previous posting and it does state that it does not matter who is accompanying who as long as we can prove that we are married and living together for the dates to satisfy my RO.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Try the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.

I assume you were not common law before you landed in Canada and became a PR.
According the info in his profile he has not landed yet.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neutral said:
According the info in his profile he has not landed yet.
Please note that if you land without having added your common law partner to the application, that partner may be banned from ever being sponsored to Canada. When you land, you will be asked to sign something that says that you have declared all of your dependents. You cannot declare dependents at a later date. If a dependent is undeclared at time of landing, it's almost impossible to convince CIC that "oh wait, I do have another family member" in the future. This is true for children as well.

Declare your spouse now. Be smart. Not declaring is one of the biggest problems you can create for yourself. There is (almost) no way to fix it after you've landed.

Sameer khanz

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Thanks all,,,,

Yes i have not landed yet,... So do i need to approach Canadian Embassy to add my Common law partner ?

And how much time it will take as i dont have much time left before i land in Canada..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sameer khanz said:
Thanks all,,,,

Yes i have not landed yet,... So do i need to approach Canadian Embassy to add my Common law partner ?

And how much time it will take as i dont have much time left before i land in Canada.
Contact the visa office responsible for processing your application immediately. Let the VO know by email that you now have a common law partner and must add your partner to your application. Send a package to the visa officer as soon as possible that contains: your PR visa (it is no longer valid and cannot be used for landing since you have a common law partner and the visa was issued to you as a single person), all of the forms, evidence and paperwork required to add your common law partner to your application - and a letter explaining that you now hae a common law partner who must be added to your application. Once CIC processes your common law partner's paperwork and your partner goes through the medical, background and security checks - CIC will issue both of you a new PR visa with a new landing date.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sameer khanz said:
Thanks all,,,,

And how much time it will take as i dont have much time left before i land in Canada..
I can't answer how much time it will take to reissue the visa, but CALL THE EMBASSY. They can tell you. Let us know what they say and how the process goes for you and what you find out. If you really need your questions answered though I suggest hiring a reputable Canadian immigration lawyer (not a consultant) to advise you (and soon).

Personally speaking, I know that it's good to have as much information as possible, but the answers to these questions do not seem critical. These details do not change your responsibility to inform the embassy about your spouse.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will take time as you are adding another member. Your partner has to go to a doctor also and all the stuff ... don't worry about your visa expire date, they will give you another one.

Youssef1000

Jun 26, 2015
SGPMan said:
I did pick the card from the CIC counter in Vancouver and the lady did mention that if my wife who is Canadian is only with me as a housewife then that may not count though she did say for me to contact CIC help centre to get clarification. I guess she was not sure as well....

I also check CIC website from a link from a previous posting and it does state that it does not matter who is accompanying who as long as we can prove that we are married and living together for the dates to satisfy my RO.
Dear Sir, I am in the same situation and got confusing information about the issue of who accompanying who. Would you please update me on your case. I will really appreciate it.