+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the maximum fine i could get

Need Canadian Pr

Jan 25, 2015
if a Canadian PR holder bring dairy foods without deceleration in Canada.

what is the maximum fine or trouble he can faced.

i am planning to go India and my sister lives she in Canada, she is requesting me to bring some ( Indian sweet its made by milk and sugar)

i also like this item.

So need advise please......................

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dairy products (e.g.: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)

up to 20 kilograms per person
Please note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for determining customs and duties for items coming into Canada.

Baked goods, candies, etc.

no goods containing meat

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

As long as you declare you have the items, the worst that can happen is that they confiscate what you're not allowed to have. If the item is not declared, the fine can be up to $1,300 per item.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Need Canadian Pr said:

i am planning to go India and my sister lives she in Canada, she is requesting me to bring some ( Indian sweet its made by milk and sugar)

i also like this item.

Here's some advice - don't be stupid. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/regs-eng.html

Declaring is the Law
Be aware … Declare everything.

You are required by law to declare all food, plant and animal products you bring with you into Canada. For instance, you must declare:

Live animals and animal products, such as cooked or raw meats, hides, skins, trophies, milk, fat, butter, cheese, eggs, fish, seafood.
Plant products, such as fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, trees, houseplants, wood (and wood products such as furniture, carvings, bark), roots, vines, herbs, flowers, insects, bulbs, soil.
Failure to declare any of these products or to provide required permits/certificates can lead to:

Confiscation of your products;
A penalty up to $1300; or
Prosecution

Inadmissible goods may be confiscated and disposed of, or ordered removed from Canada. Travellers may also be held responsible for any costs related to the disposal, quarantine, treatment or removal of these items from Canada.

Common mistakes

Many travellers fail to declare items such as:

processed or canned foods;
homemade food;
handmade crafts, such as wooden items;
cooked or cured meats;
soil;
plants used for homeopathic or medicinal purposes;
milk products, such as butter, yogurt, kefir; and
fruits and vegetables.
These travellers may not realize the hazards of food, plant and animal products, which can be or carry invasive species and diseases. However, the risks to Canada's food supply, economy, environment and human health are very real.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Need Canadian Pr said:

i also like this item.

Have a look here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wufensBsds

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
scylla said:
Dairy products (e.g.: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)

Please note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for determining customs and duties for items coming into Canada.

Baked goods, candies, etc.

no goods containing meat

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

As long as you declare you have the items, the worst that can happen is that they confiscate what you're not allowed to have. If the item is not declared, the fine can be up to $1,300 per item.

But I have a question to you

ATT: Scylla

Is there any chance for deportation if any PR holder says in landing card I don't have any dairy products but he or she has dairy products .

Thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
simoncanada said:

Is there any chance for deportation if any PR holder says in landing card I don't have any dairy products but he or she has dairy products .

Thanks
Why would you lie when you are allowed to bring the products in legally? It makes no sense at all.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
simoncanada said:

Thanks
Nobody here is going to assist, advise or encourage you to break the law.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/declaring-is-the-law/eng/1389635905311/1389636143946

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You realize that they have dogs at the airport trained specifically to search out food, drugs and money in your luggage......right? And with the huge Indian community in Canada , you are trying to say you can't get sweets here locally?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
simoncanada said:

Thanks
No - they can't deport you. But after you're caught the first time, you'll be flagged in the system forever and can expect to be more closely examined each time you enter Canada. I'll be 100% blunt - it is completely idiotic to lie on a customs form. If you decide to lie, expect bad outcomes and problems in the future.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
Buletruck said:
You realize that they have dogs at the airport trained specifically to search out food, drugs and money in your luggage......right? And with the huge Indian community in Canada , you are trying to say you can't get sweets here locally?

You are correct

Same time you are incorrect

Almost every body knows at airport CBsa officer will try to find out what you are bringing form back home

But still almost every body try to bring some when they goes to back home .

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
simoncanada said:
You are correct

Same time you are incorrect

Almost every body knows at airport CBsa officer will try to find out what you are bringing form back home

The real problem is not trying to get things into Canada. It is the not declaring part. Many people are so ignorant when it comes to the customs form..If you have food, plants or anything, just declare it and let customs decide. It could be so easy.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In addition to observations already offered by others:

While detection of undeclared items tends to be hit&miss, there are many tools CBSA employs to interdict smuggling of all sorts. In addition to dogs, they employ a variety of sniffing and x-ray devices. They have tools for identifying incongruities in packaging. They have a range of profiling protocols. Most of this is confidential information, investigatory methods and means.

There are reasons why some of us go through customs dozens or even hundreds of times without much scrutiny while others are thoroughly examined, including being subject to the utilization of more specific and sophisticated sniffing devices as well as the potential examination of data in the traveler's electronic devices, and of course the occasional extensive physical search. Some of this is random. Most of the time, however, there are reasons. And no, they will not reveal their reasons, not generally, and not in any specific instance either (although they may offer an explanation, often as not the explanation is at best a partial one and itself is likely to be part of an interrogation technique, intended to solicit revealing responses or outright admissions).

Regarding potential consequences and potential loss of status to be in Canada:

Compared to potential penalties, it appears that the government is remarkably liberal if not overtly lenient when dealing with isolated customs violations not involving contraband or dangerous weapons. Which is not to say the typical penalties are minor. The fines can be severe.

However, customs violations can be prosecuted criminally. Depending on the nature and seriousness of the conduct, penalties can be severe enough to reach the current threshold for what constitutes serious criminality. Worst case scenario for a Canadian citizen is loss of passport and a long holiday (of sorts) in government housing, secure government housing. For FNs and PRs, however, this can constitute grounds for deeming one inadmissible, which can lead to deportation. The one-time violation based on a few kilos of undeclared cheeses and sweets, or related products, will not risk that degree of penalty, but any PR who engages in any conduct which could potentially lead to a criminal conviction should be aware that yes, since the Harper government dramatically lowered the threshold for what constitutes serious criminality, loss of status and deportation can be at stake.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I would also point out, now that you have been fully indoctrinated into the legal ramifications of attempting to smuggle undeclared food, your body language and general demeanour when passing Customs is likely to draw further attention to you. Unless you are a professional smuggler, you are unlikely to be able to control this.

It's one thing to make an error of judgement without knowing the consequences but quite another to be knowingly aware of both the offence being committed AND the potential penalties.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Not quite sure what your point is. There is nothing wrong with bringing goods back to Canada, providing you declare them. Some of them are allowed, some are not. If they have been declared and are determined ineligible for entry, you simply loose those items......no penalty or repercussions. If you don't declare them, you are in fact breaking the law and are subject to penalties and potentially more. The OP is enquiring about the consequences of breaking the law, by knowingly withholding information from CBSA. As noted, there are many means available to determine if you are carrying goods back to Canada available to CBSA, the dogs were only an example for the OP to consider.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
simoncanada said:
No - they don't.

I travel frequently and extensively. The vast majority of my friends to as well. None of us lie. When we are over a limit, we declare it and pay duty/tax as required (usually they give you a break and you end up paying less than you technically owe).

And you sure as heck don't lie if you have a Nexus card and in any way value keeping your Nexus card. I very much value my Nexus card (along with TSA pre-check). I would never do anything to jeopardize that. But to each his own...

One lie at the border can red flag you for life and permanently complicate each and every entry into Canada. This happened to a former boss of mine. It's over 10 years now and he still gets pulled into secondary each and every time he enters Canada. He calls that lie one of the worst decisions of his life.