+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best Canadian city for moving?

ErlSpike

Feb 23, 2021
Canada
Category........
BUSINESS
I want to move to Canada soon and I want to see some opinion about different Canadian cities. Please share your personal experiens if it's possible! I'm interested in your thoughts about taxes, rent prices. Hovewer, the most important thing to me is to have a lot of good neighbors because I am communicative person!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
People ask these questions all the time. What province are you moving to? Do some research on where the job opportunities are. Google “rent prices” and the city. Taxes by province. Good and bad neighbours everywhere.

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I want to move to Canada soon and I want to see some opinion about different Canadian cities. Please share your personal experiens if it's possible! I'm interested in your thoughts about taxes, rent prices. Hovewer, the most important thing to me is to have a lot of good neighbors because I am communicative person!
If you like to chat go East Coast, no disrespect to the rest of Canada but they are way friendlier. The Maritimes can have a shitty weather specially during winter but I find that people are more down to earth over there. Housing is overall very cheap. The only problem can be finding a job and it really depends on which field you are working. That one was the reason why I had to move out of the east coast. If I had a good job there, I would never think about moving elsewhere.

ErlSpike

Feb 23, 2021
Canada
Category........
BUSINESS
If you like to chat go East Coast, no disrespect to the rest of Canada but they are way friendlier. The Maritimes can have a shitty weather specially during winter but I find that people are more down to earth over there. Housing is overall very cheap. The only problem can be finding a job and it really depends on which field you are working. That one was the reason why I had to move out of the east coast. If I had a good job there, I would never think about moving elsewhere.
Much appreciated for your reply. But actually I am scared of living in poverty and I think that getting a good job is very important! I am professional writer (journalist), so I think that I will face some difficulties...

ErlSpike

Feb 23, 2021
Canada
Category........
BUSINESS
People ask these questions all the time. What province are you moving to? Do some research on where the job opportunities are. Google “rent prices” and the city. Taxes by province. Good and bad neighbours everywhere.
Much appreciated, but actually I want to see different opinions because sometimes google is not a key to the problem.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Much appreciated, but actually I want to see different opinions because sometimes google is not a key to the problem.
Why would you not rent a car for a couple of months upon arrival and just drive from East to West or visa versa depending on where you arrive from? Taking advice from people with different lives, tastes, backgrounds is no better than googling the same, imo. If you are arriving during the green winter (aka late spring or summer here in Canada) you'll have a fun drive and will be able to pick and choose according to your liking. The same during the white winter would be a very dubious adventure though. Good luck and welcome

Reactions: BOYX and Naturgrl

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
I have lived in Canada for ten years.
B.C. is very outdoorsy, what with the parks, rivers, coast, mountains. Taxes are 12% here - refer to https://www.retailcouncil.org/resources/quick-facts/sales-tax-rates-by-province/
B.C. is a very laid back province, especially Vancouver Island and is where a lot of people come to retire. Vancouver is a major city in B.C. and rent and mortgages are high but again, everything is relative.

Alberta is historically a cattle and recently an oil province - that is, a lot of residents work in oil and gas or agriculture. That has changed a little recently. Taxes are low, most of the province is conservative in politics. Calgary is a livable city and is very close to the rocky mountains. People are overall friendly here but as with any city there are some bad eggs here - pro white supremacist rallies/trump rallies here. I have lived here for 10 years.

Ontario has major cities like Toronto and Ottawa. Toronto is the most populous city and has lots of things to do in and around it. Taxes are high and rent and mortgages are high too.

Maritime provinces have that friendly vibe, rent and mortgages are lower but so is salary.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Why would you not rent a car for a couple of months upon arrival and just drive from East to West or visa versa depending on where you arrive from? Taking advice from people with different lives, tastes, backgrounds is no better than googling the same, imo. If you are arriving during the green winter (aka late spring or summer here in Canada) you'll have a fun drive and will be able to pick and choose according to your liking. The same during the white winter would be a very dubious adventure though. Good luck and welcome
I agree with this advice. A cheaper (in all respects) alternative is also watching videos of vloggers exploring your cities of interest. I was dead set on moving to Montreal because of many reasons, but after watching a few videos of the city, I decided against it. Visiting the city later on proved to reaffirm my decision.

Nonetheless, if one can afford visiting the various cities, I would highly recommend. My favourite thus far has been the east coast Maritime provinces. It's quite literally the California of Canada with everyone seemingly so laid back - and the gorgeous coastlines in the summer.

Cannot speak for the job opportunities, however, bear in mind that the pandemic has caused an economy wide job slump. My friends in Toronto, for example, are struggling to find jobs across all industries. These are bright folk too, with robust experiences and credentials.

ErlSpike

Feb 23, 2021
Canada
Category........
BUSINESS
I have lived in Canada for ten years.
B.C. is very outdoorsy, what with the parks, rivers, coast, mountains. Taxes are 12% here - refer to https://www.retailcouncil.org/resources/quick-facts/sales-tax-rates-by-province/
B.C. is a very laid back province, especially Vancouver Island and is where a lot of people come to retire. Vancouver is a major city in B.C. and rent and mortgages are high but again, everything is relative.

Alberta is historically a cattle and recently an oil province - that is, a lot of residents work in oil and gas or agriculture. That has changed a little recently. Taxes are low, most of the province is conservative in politics. Calgary is a livable city and is very close to the rocky mountains. People are overall friendly here but as with any city there are some bad eggs here - pro white supremacist rallies/trump rallies here. I have lived here for 10 years.

Ontario has major cities like Toronto and Ottawa. Toronto is the most populous city and has lots of things to do in and around it. Taxes are high and rent and mortgages are high too.

Maritime provinces have that friendly vibe, rent and mortgages are lower but so is salary.

It really depends on what you are looking for.
I am looking for better living conditions!

ErlSpike

Feb 23, 2021
Canada
Category........
BUSINESS
I agree with this advice. A cheaper (in all respects) alternative is also watching videos of vloggers exploring your cities of interest. I was dead set on moving to Montreal because of many reasons, but after watching a few videos of the city, I decided against it. Visiting the city later on proved to reaffirm my decision.

Nonetheless, if one can afford visiting the various cities, I would highly recommend. My favourite thus far has been the east coast Maritime provinces. It's quite literally the California of Canada with everyone seemingly so laid back - and the gorgeous coastlines in the summer.

Cannot speak for the job opportunities, however, bear in mind that the pandemic has caused an economy wide job slump. My friends in Toronto, for example, are struggling to find jobs across all industries. These are bright folk too, with robust experiences and credentials.
Interesting suggestions