+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what happens when application is returned

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
When the application is returned due to something that is incomplete or any other reason, do we get a file number?

I think we can complete the missing paperwork and resubmit the same application with the same old date.

Can we prepare the application from scratch and put new date and resubmit it? Is that allowed?

jjr20

Jun 21, 2014
Okanagan Valley
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
When the application is returned due to something that is incomplete or any other reason, do we get a file number?

I think we can complete the missing paperwork and resubmit the same application with the same old date.

Can we prepare the application from scratch and put new date and resubmit it? Is that allowed?
Just complete missing paperwork and resubmit same application. Don't start a new one.

jjr20

Jun 21, 2014
Okanagan Valley
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Why can't we submit new application? does it make any difference?
They already have a case opened for you in their system, which will include that paperwork is missing. They have date you signed/everything you wrote already entered into the system. Not sending back the same application probably will raise a flag and an RQ. I wouldn't go through the hassle..just get the paperwork missing and send it in again.

dav3000

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:

Just attach the missing paperwork and resubmit it. This will ensure that your application will be checked in a timely manner since your initial application will already be on file.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
jjr20 said:
They already have a case opened for you in their system, which will include that paperwork is missing. They have date you signed/everything you wrote already entered into the system. Not sending back the same application probably will raise a flag and an RQ. I wouldn't go through the hassle..just get the paperwork missing and send it in again.
You can change the residency days (become more), but if the first application was enough, there's no point to change it.
Don't try to tell different story, for example : in first application you worked as a technician, being returned, and new application you worked as a bartender. It's already being photocopied. After all, there is no point to change anything, just add whatever being asked and send it back.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
BLT said:
You can change the residency days (become more), but if the first application was enough, there's no point to change it.
Don't try to tell different story, for example : in first application you worked as a technician, being returned, and new application you worked as a bartender. It's already being photocopied. After all, there is no point to change anything, just add whatever being asked and send it back.
I was thinking about adding residency days so that i have extra days to show. Rest all will remain same. Do they assign file number when they return application? What is the difference between returning whole application and keeping existing application and asking for additional documents?
My understanding is that when the application is returned they don't assign file number and we can make it a fresh application again and when existing application is kept and additional documents are asked they assign file number. Please suggest

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I spoke to call centre agent and he said that if the application is returned because of incomplete/unacceptable paperwork, then you can either make it fresh with new dates or use existing application and attach missing paperwork and send it again.

Two things to remember if you are sending existing application:

1. The resubmit date should be within 3 months else application would be returned again.
2. If new forms are available online then use new forms else application would be returned.

Also, application returned means no application received as simple as that. They don't assign a file number.

Here is the link which states about in what circumstances the application would be returned:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Note. Your application will be returned to you if:

the form is not signed and dated,
stale-dated (dated more than 90 days before CIC receives it),
post-dated (dated into the future).