+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what can I do after CAQ refusal ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I haven't been working I knew that wasn't allowed.

The first two months I just explored the city and after I've been doing some self studying in YouTube and coursera in the IT field to pass the time.
I don't care about that 1k what I am most annoyed about is the time I lost and the stress that came with it.
You need a new study permit and will have to show funds of minimum of $20k not including first year tuition. Given the timelines, you may even be out of status because your study permit is cancelled. This is beyond the expertise of this forum so get an immigration lawyer.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I haven't been working I knew that wasn't allowed.

The first two months I just explored the city and after I've been doing some self studying in YouTube and coursera in the IT field to pass the time.
I don't care about that 1k what I am most annoyed about is the time I lost and the stress that came with it.
If you are still thinking lawsuit, you might have causes of action beyond the $1k, which could be characterized in several ways, breach of contract, total failure of consideration, fraud and negligence causes I already suggested. You might want to include a claim for non-pecuniary damages, sometimes called general damages, for your inconvenience, time loss, mental distress, etc. You might even have claims for punitive, exemplary or aggravated damages. No way to tell from reading a few short posts here. There would need to be a more fulsome exposition of the factual matrix. Key, as well, would be how solvent is the potential defendant? Are they poised to make an assignment in bankruptcy? Are there creditors poised to petition them into bankruptcy? No way to cover these matters here.

Reactions: salim25

salim25

Apr 15, 2024
If you are still thinking lawsuit, you might have causes of action beyond the $1k, which could be characterized in several ways, breach of contract, total failure of consideration, fraud and negligence causes I already suggested. You might want to include a claim for non-pecuniary damages, sometimes called general damages, for your inconvenience, time loss, mental distress, etc. You might even have claims for punitive, exemplary or aggravated damages. No way to tell from reading a few short posts here. There would need to be a more fulsome exposition of the factual matrix. Key, as well, would be how solvent is the potential defendant? Are they poised to make an assignment in bankruptcy? Are there creditors poised to petition them into bankruptcy? No way to cover these matters here.
Thanks for the response.
I did speak to an immigration lawyer in February and she said she'll look into "vulnerable international student open work permit" or something and she'll let me know and then she kept dodging my calls and meetings for months.
Until few weeks ago when I finally got a hold of her in her office she told me there's nothing we can do.

What kind of lawyer should I be talking to ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the response.
I did speak to an immigration lawyer in February and she said she'll look into "vulnerable international student open work permit" or something and she'll let me know and then she kept dodging my calls and meetings for months.
Until few weeks ago when I finally got a hold of her in her office she told me there's nothing we can do.

What kind of lawyer should I be talking to ?
You mean ”destitute student” which is when you are studying and cannot afford your studies so need to take a semester off to make some money. You have not even started studies. So that is not an option. At this point, you don’t have status so need to change your status to visitor. Then decide whether to apply for another program but you will need to pay tuition and show minimum of $21k, or go home.