Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
fswapplicant08082014 said:
Hi.

What are the pros and cons of living in calgary and edmonton?

Thank you.
many say, cost of living in Calgary is comparatively High and the winter is brutal at both places.

anil_india

Jun 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
F T D- 18-03-2010
AOR Received.
19-07-2010 (II AOR)
IELTS Request
Band-7.5
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
eCAS - IN PROCESS (Jan 2012)
Med's Done....
JULY 2, 2012 (PP sent)
VISA ISSUED...
Jan. 2013 (PP received)
LANDED..........
May 2013.
IMPORTANT

please view and reply

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/calgary-or-toronto-for-bank-jobs-for-a-torontonian-t231539.0.html

saleem7821

Jul 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2013
Nomination.....
PER Received :16-12-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 Remedical Assessment Request : 26-08-2015
Med's Done....
09-07-2014 Remedical done : 17-09-2015
Passport Req..
PPR1 : 28-Oct-2014 , PPR2 : 26-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-Oct-2015
LANDED..........
InshahAllah May 2016 Welcome Edmonton
Dear Jassig , thanks for giving us such a wonderful forum to clear our doubts regarding settling in Calgary.
dear i am chemical engineer , my FSW immigration is in process. i have intentions to settle in Calgary if everything went well. do please guide me regarding job market regarding my occupation. avg basement rent in average area including all utilities??.
sent you PM please do reply. many thanks again*

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
sharedknowledge said:
1. I understand that the goods listed in the "Goods to Follow List" are exempt from tax forever. Is it it true? If so, then, can I list money beside jewelry, car, furniture, etc.?

2. The more I read about different cities, the more I get confused. So, I am not sure what is the best place to land exactly. How do you compare different cities? What is the advantage of landing in Calgary over, say, Toronto, Vancouver, Saskatoon, or any other cities.

3. Can I land, say, in Toronto, but I give Calgary address to receive PR card?

4. Also, ideally which are the best places to live (of course, if you have the job in certain city, then you have to there, whether you like it or not)?

5. In which neighborhood are quality schools in Calgary?

Thanks for information.
Bump! seniors and experienced members, please advise.

dare2dream

Star Member
Jan 19, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Med's Request
31-01-2014
Med's Done....
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-10-2014
jassig said:
Hi welcome to you bro try to come as early as poss as its better to settle down ,I mean find house to stay,get driving license and buy car before the snow starts.

about weather it very erratic it keeps changing quite hot in summer and damm cold in winter.

cheers best of luck
Hi Jassig, I hope to get PR visa by september and accordingly I am planning to land in Calgary late september or early october. Based on my medicals date I will have to land before January end. Will it will be heavy snow in October also? Please suggest what care I should take before landing during winter months specially with kids? Waiting for your valuable suggestions.

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
mahboob2526 said:
Hello everyone, Thanks in advance for the great help being offered here. Esp to Jassi ji..:) I am an Indian, preparing for Canada immigration under FSW program. I have some doubts, I will be applying under NOC 0112, I have done my MBA in HR but its not recognized in India as I did from a private B-school. At the same time I do hold a B.Com degree which is from a recognized University. Soon I will be applying for credential evaluation thru WES, Is it advisable to send both my MBA and B.Com or only B.Com(as my MBA is not recognized) Also Do I need to send both 10th and 12th certificate copies attested from the respective boards or only 12th would be sufficient along with above said? Further, I have 2 years of experience as an HR Manager would that be Okay to qualify? Do parents and siblings come under Dependents? Please advise. Thank you!
hi just give me some time as u have many questions will reply you asap.

cheers

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
sharedknowledge said:
- I understand that the goods listed in the "Goods to Follow List" are exempt from tax forever. Is it it true? If so, then, can I list money beside jewelry, car, furniture, etc.?

- The more I read about different cities, the more I get confused. So, I am not sure where is the best place to land exactly. How do you compare different cities? What is the advantage of landing in Calgary over, say, Toronto, Vancouver, Saskatoon, or any other cities. And, where is the best place to live?

- In which neighborhood are quality schools in Calgary?

Thanks for information.

hi yes the good listed in the "goods to follow" are exempt from tax I am not to sure abt money but yes the rest can be included but for the cars I needs to meet some specification as per Canadian standards.

the best city to land depends upon your profession and likings Toronto and Vancouver are more lively Calgary is good for job market Saskatoon is good for jobs too but very new city and dull weather .

around Calgary all CBE schools are good but there are some private schools as well for which u have to pay for ,I would say typically NW and SW might have better schools.

cheers and best of luck

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
fswapplicant08082014 said:
Hi.

What are the pros and cons of living in calgary and edmonton?

Thank you.
hi as mr hope said both are cold ,but Calgary does get Chinook winds which increases the temp in the winter months and the rockies are closer to Calgary then to Edmonton so you can have good weekend trip ne time u decide .

cheers

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
saleem7821 said:
Dear Jassig , thanks for giving us such a wonderful forum to clear our doubts regarding settling in Calgary.
dear i am chemical engineer , my FSW immigration is in process. i have intentions to settle in Calgary if everything went well. do please guide me regarding job market regarding my occupation. avg basement rent in average area including all utilities??.
sent you PM please do reply. many thanks again*
hi ,chemical engineer should be in good demand I don't know much about it you can google it .the other thing is about accommodation the avg basement rent can be between 700 to 1000$ including utilities

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Housing in Calgary and Edmonton

Moving to Alberta? If you are, there’s a good chance that either Calgary or Edmonton will be your destination.

1. Rental Prices in Calgary and Edmonton
Average rental prices are quite similar in both cities, although Calgary is slightly more expensive on average than Edmonton.

Two Bedroom Rentals
For a two bedroom dwelling, expect to pay from $800 to $1,500 per month, depending on location, size and type.

For example, you’ll pay an average of about $1,200 for a two bedroom apartment in downtown Calgary.

Three Bedroom Rentals
To rent a 3 bedroom dwelling, expect to pay from $1,200 to $2,500 a month.

For example, you’ll pay an average of about $1,200 to $1,300 for a standard three bedroom townhouse in suburban Calgary.

More About Renting

You’ll usually pay a security / damage deposit of one month’s rent. If the property is furnished, you can expect to pay a slightly higher deposit.

Most rental properties are unfurnished, but include carpets/flooring, window coverings, the main kitchen appliances and heating.

Typical appliances you may find included with an unfurnished property are: furnace/heating, dishwasher, waste disposal, oven/stove, microwave, fridge, washer/dryer, air conditioning and central vacuum.

Accommodation – Facilities and Fees

Apartments
Some apartments are built to be rented to tenants rather than sold. Leases for these apartments are normally for 12 months and usually include a stove, dishwasher, fridge and window coverings.
Apartments tend to have shared onsite laundry facilities such as laundry rooms and may include heat and hot water in the rent.

You usually have to pay an extra fee for car parking which can range from $10 to $100 a month. You will pay most for covered energized parking stalls.

Apartments may have extra facilities such as a gym, swimming pool and hot tubs.

You may also be able to rent extra storage space for a monthly fee.

Some apartments will permit small pets and may charge a small non-refundable pet fee, typically $250 per pet.

Condos
With condominium apartments your rent typically covers the cost of heating, water, insurance, garbage disposal, snow removal, landscaping, security and maintenance. Sometimes internet costs and electricity are also included. You may also get facilities like a gym, swimming pool and underground parking included.

If you rent a condo, you don’t pay fees for these facilities. The owner pays them and recovers them in the rent you pay for the condo.

Some townhouses also may have a condominium fee, but these are typically less than apartment condos as townhouses tend to have their own water meters, and usually have their own furnaces and hot water heaters.

If you buy a condo property, your fees will be based on its floor area; they usually range from approximately $0.35 to $0.70 per square foot. So, for a 1000 square foot condo, your fees would usually be in the range of $350 to $700 a month.

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
OHM said:
Hi

could somebody help me finding a risk free Flight from Dubai to Calgary, why i said risk free is some travel agents told me i need a UK visa if i travel via London and EU visa if i travel from Amsterdam.

i am planning to come to Calgary in the Month of Sept (4th, 5th or 6th).

thanks

OHM

you do not need any visa... just go for klm..we are moving in sept too and we booked with klm.....

mkshah

Champion Member
Sep 2, 2010
Gujarat
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
6235 / 0112
Great Info mr.hope..
+1 for this.. :)

though I am an aspirant applying for fsw.... I found this info very useful and handy
mr.Hope said:
Housing in Calgary and Edmonton

Moving to Alberta? If you are, there's a good chance that either Calgary or Edmonton will be your destination.

1. Rental Prices in Calgary and Edmonton
Average rental prices are quite similar in both cities, although Calgary is slightly more expensive on average than Edmonton.

Two Bedroom Rentals
For a two bedroom dwelling, expect to pay from $800 to $1,500 per month, depending on location, size and type.

For example, you'll pay an average of about $1,200 for a two bedroom apartment in downtown Calgary.

Three Bedroom Rentals
To rent a 3 bedroom dwelling, expect to pay from $1,200 to $2,500 a month.

For example, you'll pay an average of about $1,200 to $1,300 for a standard three bedroom townhouse in suburban Calgary.

More About Renting

You'll usually pay a security / damage deposit of one month's rent. If the property is furnished, you can expect to pay a slightly higher deposit.

Most rental properties are unfurnished, but include carpets/flooring, window coverings, the main kitchen appliances and heating.

Typical appliances you may find included with an unfurnished property are: furnace/heating, dishwasher, waste disposal, oven/stove, microwave, fridge, washer/dryer, air conditioning and central vacuum.

Accommodation – Facilities and Fees

Apartments
Some apartments are built to be rented to tenants rather than sold. Leases for these apartments are normally for 12 months and usually include a stove, dishwasher, fridge and window coverings.
Apartments tend to have shared onsite laundry facilities such as laundry rooms and may include heat and hot water in the rent.

You usually have to pay an extra fee for car parking which can range from $10 to $100 a month. You will pay most for covered energized parking stalls.

Apartments may have extra facilities such as a gym, swimming pool and hot tubs.

You may also be able to rent extra storage space for a monthly fee.

Some apartments will permit small pets and may charge a small non-refundable pet fee, typically $250 per pet.

Condos
With condominium apartments your rent typically covers the cost of heating, water, insurance, garbage disposal, snow removal, landscaping, security and maintenance. Sometimes internet costs and electricity are also included. You may also get facilities like a gym, swimming pool and underground parking included.

If you rent a condo, you don't pay fees for these facilities. The owner pays them and recovers them in the rent you pay for the condo.

Some townhouses also may have a condominium fee, but these are typically less than apartment condos as townhouses tend to have their own water meters, and usually have their own furnaces and hot water heaters.

If you buy a condo property, your fees will be based on its floor area; they usually range from approximately $0.35 to $0.70 per square foot. So, for a 1000 square foot condo, your fees would usually be in the range of $350 to $700 a month.

kmahmoud

May 29, 2014
Hi ,

I want to ask about the quantity surveyor or project control career , is it regulated in Alberta ? and what about salaries and opportunities compared with Civil Engineering career " which require license" .

is it recommended to work as a QS ? or should i study for engineering license better ??

thank you

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks Jassig.

If we exclude employment issue, then as far as I understand, the only edge for Alberta is that you get Health Insurance Card immediately. However, PR Card, SIN, and Citizenship timelines are the same for all provinces. If that is true, then why one should not land in a large city like Toronto or Vancouver which have far more services, communities, and amenities of life?