+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to give birth in Canada with Canadian boyfriend - Need advice.

Snowflake18

May 31, 2015
Good evening, everyone!

I have read a lot of the threads here, not all, so I apologise if this question has been asked and answered previously and I just have a couple of quick questions.

My boyfriend is Canadian and we have been together since 2013, I was on a working visa when we met. I moved back to Ireland late in 2014 but we've continued our relationship by travelling back and forth between the two countries. It hasn't been easy but it's been worth it.

We are now considering trying for a baby and I would love for our baby to be born in Canada, which would mean dual citizenship (I think?)

We eventually want to settle together, we haven't decided which country yet as we both love both countries. That will depend on which country would be better to raise our family.

I'm just curious to know if it would be possible, given that he is Canadian, for me to have the baby over there? Would the fact that I don't currently have a visa pose any problems for us? Should I try for a visa before we get pregnant?
We haven't discussed him sponsoring me, although I doubt it would be a problem.

I'm aware that customs can be difficult and that I can be refused (as I almost was last time!! he was a grumpy customs officer) but do you think it could work in our favour?

Thanks guys!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your boyfriend can apply to sponsor you for permanent residency once you are either married or common law (common law means that you have physically lived together for at least one full year continuously).

You can certainly give birth in Canada as a visitor. However keep in mind that you won't be covered by the health care system and giving birth can be quite expensive (especially if there are any complications). There are some private health insurance policies that you can purchase to cover the costs of pregnancy - however they tend to be more expensive and the policy must be purchased before you actually get pregnant.

As for entering Canada as a visitor, if you've run into issues coming before - this typically increases the chances you might have problems again. Make sure you bring evidence that shows you have ties to your home country and don't look like you're moving (i.e. ensure you have a return ticket, don't pack like you're moving, etc.).

Snowflake18

May 31, 2015
We were considering the sponsorship - but that will be a while if we're not even currently living together now.

I don't have private health care now, so that would need to be purchased in the coming months, I guess?

I was doing a lot of reading in the last while and it says that even if I have the baby in my own country, it could still have dual citizenship as dad is Canadian citizen. Is that correct?

That's more what we're going for, therefore, the child would have more options in their life. They can choose to live in either country without any problems. The only problem would be me getting permanent residency, although, if we've had a child and get married, that would probably be a lot easier to overcome.