+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting on PR Card but need to travel outside Canada - Panicking!

dalton

Apr 5, 2010
Hi, I landed on the 17th of September 2011 and was told I would have my PR Card within two months so I have booked a trip home to Ireland for Christmas. I have expected my card to arrive any day for the past few weeks but when I finally rang them today they informed me that it hadn't been sent out yet and to ring back in a month. :eek:

As far as I can see my only option is to get Travel Documents from the Canadian Embassy in Ireland, however as it is too small I think they are all processed in London (England). Do I have to make an expensive trip to England from Ireland over Christmas?

I plan to spend a few days in Chicago on my return could the Canadian Consulate General in Chicago process the Travel Papers for me? It doesn't appear on the list of Visa offices on the CIC website. Only Buffalo – Detroit – Los Angeles – New York – Seattle – Washington, D.C. are listed.

I also had/have a work permit valid until 2013, I presume my PR status supersedes that but could I simply enter on that?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have Irish passport? If so, you can return to Canada with it. Once you arrive Canada, say you are a PR but haven't yet received the card .

dalton

Apr 5, 2010
Yes I have, how sure of this are you. I have just spoken to the embassy in London and Dublin and they both said I required travel documents.

Its great news if true but I'd like to see a source, sorry to doubt you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem. It's good to be cautious. Here's an older post:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t29791.0.html

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
Hey,
I’m in quite similar situation. I landed on Oct 17 this year. My partner, who landed the same they with me, got her PR Card last week. I’m still waiting. I’m assuming it is lost. in mail. Next week I’ll go my vacation so my question is what is that travel document for? Is it for the country that we are visiting or for getting in to Canada? I already have a travel document for refugees. Is it good enough for me to get in from airport?
Little help please.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pengyuen said:
Hey,
I'm in quite similar situation. I landed on Oct 17 this year. My partner, who landed the same they with me, got her PR Card last week. I'm still waiting. I'm assuming it is lost. in mail. Next week I'll go my vacation so my question is what is that travel document for? Is it for the country that we are visiting or for getting in to Canada? I already have a travel document for refugees. Is it good enough for me to get in from airport?
Little help please.
If you read the first post, obviously the travel document is for re-entry Canada.

hamedsilent

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thats a diffrent travel document, If yo have the refugee travel document and your protected person status document, you will be fine and you don't need even PR. so dont worry since you are safe for this part.

harry_canada

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Visa Office......
Mississauga and New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
march.24.2011
File Transfer...
april.27.2011
Med's Done....
jan.20.2011
Interview........
july.05.2011
Passport Req..
may.27.2011
VISA ISSUED...
13.oct.2011
LANDED..........
i landed on 1 nov..havent received my PR card yet ...m nt sure if i have to apply for one or they just send it to me at my address with the landing info tht they have.
help guys

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_canada said:
i landed on 1 nov..havent received my PR card yet ...m nt sure if i have to apply for one or they just send it to me at my address with the landing info tht they have.
help guys
The IO applied for you when you landed, you gave him the address where the PR card should be delivered.

dalton

Apr 5, 2010
steaky said:
No problem. It's good to be cautious. Here's an older post:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t29791.0.html
Thanks but I was hoping for something a bit more official, my lawyer says that I should get the Travel Documents. I also think that relations between the US & Canada are a bit more relaxed maybe.

I still can't really get my head around it, if I had no PR or Work Visa I could just fly in whenever I want as a tourist but now that I am a PR I am being treated as suspicious.

I feel pretty trapped hear to be honest, like being told to "stay put untill you get your card and you'll get it whenever suits us".

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
hamedsilent said:
Thats a diffrent travel document, If yo have the refugee travel document and your protected person status document, you will be fine and you don't need even PR. so dont worry since you are safe for this part.
Are you sure Hamed?
Because I asked the CIC agent and she told me even though I have that document I also
need other travel document as well. In case that they didn’t accept, what’s going to happen? Would they send me back to US?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dalton said:
Thanks but I was hoping for something a bit more official, my lawyer says that I should get the Travel Documents. I also think that relations between the US & Canada are a bit more relaxed maybe.

I still can't really get my head around it, if I had no PR or Work Visa I could just fly in whenever I want as a tourist but now that I am a PR I am being treated as suspicious.

I feel pretty trapped hear to be honest, like being told to "stay put untill you get your card and you'll get it whenever suits us".
My husband (American) was in the same situation as you after he landed but before he got his PR card. He flew in and out of Canada two times without any problems. No one cared he didn't have his PR card yet. Airlines just wanted to see his visa exempt passport. Canadian immigration officials seemed to think it was perfectly reasonable that he didn't have his card yet since he had just landed. Obviously this isn't anything official - just our personal experience.

Mhut

Star Member
Jul 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
23/02/2006
Med's Request
06/04/2011
Med's Done....
27/04/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14/06/2011
VISA ISSUED...
07/07/2011
LANDED..........
23/10/2011
dalton said:
Hi, I landed on the 17th of September 2011 and was told I would have my PR Card within two months so I have booked a trip home to Ireland for Christmas. I have expected my card to arrive any day for the past few weeks but when I finally rang them today they informed me that it hadn't been sent out yet and to ring back in a month. :eek:

As far as I can see my only option is to get Travel Documents from the Canadian Embassy in Ireland, however as it is too small I think they are all processed in London (England). Do I have to make an expensive trip to England from Ireland over Christmas?

I plan to spend a few days in Chicago on my return could the Canadian Consulate General in Chicago process the Travel Papers for me? It doesn't appear on the list of Visa offices on the CIC website. Only Buffalo – Detroit – Los Angeles – New York – Seattle – Washington, D.C. are listed.

I also had/have a work permit valid until 2013, I presume my PR status supersedes that but could I simply enter on that?

Hi Dalton

Steaky is right in what he says. There have been many people that have traveled back and forth without PR Card. (I have read about this in another forum that I am a member of)

I am travelling back to Canada without PR card as they had not come through before us leaving to go back to the UK. I shall take my COPR with my passport and show them that.

Take care and good luck.

Mhut :)

hamedsilent

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ask Waitin vein and labron. they both traveled before becoming PR!!! plus u need to have your landing letter handy mt friend

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
hamedsilent said:
Ask Waitin vein and labron. they both traveled before becoming PR!!! plus u need to have your landing letter handy mt friend
Well last weekend I went to Seattle by car and when I came back I shoved them my landing document , travel doc and my passport. Yes they let me go but after 30 mins questioning and searching our bags and cars all over. I also ask them about my situation and they told me I can come from airport with these doc. I need my pr card or travel doc for pr.