+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for application for permanent residency now I am pregnant,

Sukhi97

Jun 1, 2013
Hi all, hope yourself well, wondering if I can get some help. I am from the UK

History is: me and my partner have applied for permanent residency in Canada in 2010, form are now with the embassy and we are awaiting for the reply we have been told that all paper work is ok (from the solicitors) just do not know when we will hear from the embassy.

I got pregnant in Late December and due n the 20th Septemeber, I am a bit confused in what to to do, what if I was to travel to Canada and give birth there? I have heard it can be quiet expensive, what if I was to give birth in the UK before the embassy gets backs to me, can I then move to Canada with the baby or will we need to start the application from the very start?

What are my options? I do not have a lot of time in which I can travel I am almost 6 months pregnant already,

Thanks for your help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to tell us which province you plan on living in once you come to Canada. The answer will differ depending on your destination.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OK - since you will be living in Ontario, you won't qualify for health care coverage until three months after you have landed and become a permanent resident. Given your due date, it's safe to assume you will have to pay for the costs of the delivery yourself if you're able to come to Canada before the baby is born. I would budget $10K just to be safe. You can do it for several K less if you have a home birth and use a midwife. However if there are complications and a prolonged hospital stay is required, your costs could be well north of $10K.

Your alternative is to wait until after the baby is born. You will have to add your baby to your application. This doesn't mean that you will have to start the process from scratch. However it will add processing time.

membership

Apr 15, 2013
Hi Scylia,

I am not an expert but i believe that once an individual is landed and gets permanent residency, she is eligible for health coverage. Doesn't matter in which province you are. You don't have to wait of P.R card. If you think this is incorrect, can you post the link where it says an individual is not eligible until three months.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
membership said:
I am not an expert but i believe that once an individual is landed and gets permanent residency, she is eligible for health coverage. Doesn't matter in which province you are. You don't have to wait of P.R card. If you think this is incorrect, can you post the link where it says an individual is not eligible until three months.
As a general rule, all provinces have either a 3 month waiting period for health care or 2 months and a balance of the third. When you are moving within Canada, your old province will cover you until your new province takes over so this is not an issue.

When you are moving from another country, most provinces have an exception of the 3 month waiting period for you. However, not all. The provinces that don't have an exception for it are Ontario, BC and Quebec. Quebec however has an exception for pregnancy and childbirth.

If you want to make sure of this, go to the website of the health care of the province you want to move to and see if you can find anything that says that a person moving from outside Canada can bypass the 3 month waiting period. You can also contact them and ask.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
membership said:
Hi Scylia,

It's province dependent - so yes, it very much matters what province you are in. Some provinces give you immediate coverage - others have a waiting period. Ontario has a three month waiting period. This information is readily available online and is extremely easy to find. Google: OHIP three month waiting period.

Sukhi97

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks everyone for your help,

Wow 10k, I am doing some research on midwifes and a home birth, I have heard of diversity midwifes in Scarborough. I have emailed them asking about costs and just waiting for a reply.

I might have to consider giving birth in London, I am really nearing my due date and need to make a decision quickly. If I decide to give birth in the UK and add the baby to my application later does anyone know how long it will take to get a reply.

Sukhi

freewilly

Star Member
Jun 6, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
May 2013//Newborn's MR in Mar 2014
Med's Done....
28th May 2013///Newborn's MED done on 28 Mar 2014
Passport Req..
Sent on 10th Jan 2014// Newborns PP sent on 30th Mar 2014
Leon said:
As a general rule, all provinces have either a 3 month waiting period for health care or 2 months and a balance of the third. When you are moving within Canada, your old province will cover you until your new province takes over so this is not an issue.

When you are moving from another country, most provinces have an exception of the 3 month waiting period for you. However, not all. The provinces that don't have an exception for it are Ontario, BC and Quebec. Quebec however has an exception for pregnancy and childbirth.

If you want to make sure of this, go to the website of the health care of the province you want to move to and see if you can find anything that says that a person moving from outside Canada can bypass the 3 month waiting period. You can also contact them and ask.
Hi Leon, I am in the same situation and due in Mid November 2013. You mentioned that some provinces have an exception of 3 months waiting for Health card while Ontario does not. Does that mean that Ontario covers delivery charges for pregnant women from day 1 or first month. Please comment as I am very confused where to land and settle. I have waited for to long to settle down in Canada and cant wait another year so that I give birth in my home country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
freewilly said:
Hi Leon, I am in the same situation and due in Mid November 2013. You mentioned that some provinces have an exception of 3 months waiting for Health card while Ontario does not. Does that mean that Ontario covers delivery charges for pregnant women from day 1 or first month. Please comment as I am very confused where to land and settle. I have waited for to long to settle down in Canada and cant wait another year so that I give birth in my home country.
Some provinces have an exception to the 3 month waiting period if you move from outside Canada.

Ontario, BC and Quebec do not have an exception.

That means if you move to Ontario, BC or Quebec, you have a 3 month waiting period for your health care, even if you are moving from outside Canada.

Further, Quebec, even though they will make you wait 3 months for health care do make an exception for pregnancy and child birth so if you give birth while you are waiting for health care in Quebec, it will be covered. If you however break your arm, it will not be covered during the waiting period.

If you however give birth in BC or Ontario while you are waiting for health care, it will not be covered.

I recommend you to settle in Alberta. Low unemployment and first day health care.

freewilly

Star Member
Jun 6, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
May 2013//Newborn's MR in Mar 2014
Med's Done....
28th May 2013///Newborn's MED done on 28 Mar 2014
Passport Req..
Sent on 10th Jan 2014// Newborns PP sent on 30th Mar 2014
Leon said:
Some provinces have an exception to the 3 month waiting period if you move from outside Canada.

Ontario, BC and Quebec do not have an exception.

That means if you move to Ontario, BC or Quebec, you have a 3 month waiting period for your health care, even if you are moving from outside Canada.

Further, Quebec, even though they will make you wait 3 months for health care do make an exception for pregnancy and child birth so if you give birth while you are waiting for health care in Quebec, it will be covered. If you however break your arm, it will not be covered during the waiting period.

If you however give birth in BC or Ontario while you are waiting for health care, it will not be covered.

I recommend you to settle in Alberta. Low unemployment and first day health care.
Thats what I thought as well. Calgary in Alberta seems to be a good option. Also, I was hoping if One avails health benefits like delivery, it would be cashless or should we carry addition ten lacs for it? Thank you Leon.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
freewilly said:
Thats what I thought as well. Calgary in Alberta seems to be a good option. Also, I was hoping if One avails health benefits like delivery, it would be cashless or should we carry addition ten lacs for it? Thank you Leon.
In Canada, when you have a health card, all medical services are cashless. However, you may have to pay for special services if you are in hospital like if you want a private room.