+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Volunteer Work Permit

lfg2707

Jan 5, 2024
Hello Everyone, I have been offered to do some volunteer work in a Food Bank at their warehouse. I would like to know if I need a work permit and the process of it since in the IRCC website says that volunteers don’t need a WP. Also I’m here as a visitor so I need to extend my stay and getting the Visitor Record. Do I get a visitor record saying I can work as a volunteer and get health coverage? Thank u

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone, I have been offered to do some volunteer work in a Food Bank at their warehouse. I would like to know if I need a work permit and the process of it since in the IRCC website says that volunteers don’t need a WP. Also I’m here as a visitor so I need to extend my stay and getting the Visitor Record. Do I get a visitor record saying I can work as a volunteer and get health coverage? Thank u
You can volunteer but if the job is usually a paid position then you cannot work in that job. You don’t get health coverage on a TRV. Extend stay as visitor but don’t say you are volunteering. If anyone in the warehouse is being paid, and you are the only volunteer then the Food Bank needs to pay $1k and apply for a LMIA proving no Canadian or PR can do the job, only you have the experience.

lfg2707

Jan 5, 2024
You can volunteer but if the job is usually a paid position then you cannot work in that job. You don’t get health coverage on a TRV. Extend stay as visitor but don’t say you are volunteering. If anyone in the warehouse is being paid, and you are the only volunteer then the Food Bank needs to pay $1k and apply for a LMIA proving no Canadian or PR can do the job, only you have the experience.
Technically speaking if we consider volunteer positions all could be say that are “work” but there are definitions on what it’s what in the IRCC. I won’t get paid either have any benefits so thats volunteer work from IRCC definition.
So I will extend my stay but I won’t put that in the application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Technically speaking if we consider volunteer positions all could be say that are “work” but there are definitions on what it’s what in the IRCC. I won’t get paid either have any benefits so thats volunteer work from IRCC definition.
So I will extend my stay but I won’t put that in the application.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/what-is-work.html#

The issue is that you cannot compete with Canadians if the job is paid to others. So if people in the Food Bank (probably not because almost all will be volunteers) are paid and you are not, then you need a permit. Read the link.
What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
  • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.

You are not an employee, so should be okay.