+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VO Vienna - Very hostile!! - Please help me

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I just had the most unpleasant call this morning! But first I'll give you some background:

I have received the PPR requesting me to submit my passport to the VO in Vienna. I did that 2 weeks ago and they received my passport on 26 July 2017. In the instructions it says that the passport will be sent back within approximately 7 days since the date they receive the passport. Until today I have not received my passport back, it has been two weeks now and I'm starting to get worried. I included pre-paid courier labels from FedEx in my shipment to them so that they can courier my documents back with FedEx. I told them in a cover letter that they just need to inform me once the documents are ready so I can arrange for the pickup by FedEx (the courier will then bring a fedex envelope). Until today I haven't received any message from them. The only thing I noticed so far is a change in my online profile saying that my application is now "Approved". That change happened on 3 August (last week).

I'm really worried now that they are just sitting on my passport or just sending it back by regular mail. Therefore I have tried to get in touch with them. Hereto I must say that you can actually not talk to anybody by phone. There is just an answering machine telling you to leave a message. But you are actually never able to leave a message, instead the call just ends at the point you are supposed to say something!
However, after trying a couple of times, magically a person actually answered the phone! I started to explain why I'm calling and so forth and that I wanted to know if the documents are already ready to be picked up. Then the lady on the phone just interrupted me in the middle and asked: "Does this concern a Canadian passport?" I said: "no", the lady said: "Sorry, you are in the wrong option" and just HUNG UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not even react or say something, she just simply hung up!!!!!! And I was NOT in the wrong option, I selected other matters and that is not only for Canadians!

I'm really frustrated and nervous! If they treat people like this, how are they then treating such an important document like a passport?? Writing an email doesn't help either, they don't answer!

Please, can anyone give me some advice or can at least anybody else share their experience with the VO Vienna?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I am not sure how things work in Europe VOs, but here in North America, when we send passports from US to Canada, we stick the labels and keep the envelope too inside along with the passports. You could have done that too. They never ever do anything except sending back passports with whatever we provide. Sometimes passports get stuck in customs in US- Canada border when coming back and require something called tax invoice to have them released. CIC won't send even that.. applicants have had to send it on behalf of CIC.

I somehow feel that the passport stamping tracking system isn't that great with CIC. It is like putting passport in to black hole without knowing what would be the outcome!

The only way to reach your visa office is emailing. Just respond to the email that you got and ask for the status. Status shown as approved is good thing. They might be mailing out things in batches, and August 3 is just few days back. They definitely won't send it back in regular mail as they need to pay for it. They will your label for sure. Worst case, they will ask you send a envelope + label together and then dispatch passports. Emailing is the best way to contact them I believe. If that email is unreachable, you could search this forum for Vienna VO email id.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
However, after trying a couple of times, magically a person actually answered the phone! I started to explain why I'm calling and so forth and that I wanted to know if the documents are already ready to be picked up. Then the lady on the phone just interrupted me in the middle and asked: "Does this concern a Canadian passport?" I said: "no", the lady said: "Sorry, you are in the wrong option" and just HUNG UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not even react or say something, she just simply hung up!!!!!! And I was NOT in the wrong option, I selected other matters and that is not only for Canadians!

I'm really frustrated and nervous! If they treat people like this, how are they then treating such an important document like a passport?? Writing an email doesn't help either, they don't answer!

Please, can anyone give me some advice or can at least anybody else share their experience with the VO Vienna?
That contact number is not for visa/immigration.

From the homepage of the Vienna website: Visa and Immigration section is no longer open for submission of applications, documents or passports, or any enquiries.

If you scroll down on the homepage and click on the "Contact the Visa and Immigration Section" link, it takes you to the IRCC page for Vienna where it gives the email and Webform info.

Reactions: Kearnixer

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure how things work in Europe VOs, but here in North America, when we send passports from US to Canada, we stick the labels and keep the envelope too inside along with the passports. You could have done that too. They never ever do anything except sending back passports with whatever we provide. Sometimes passports get stuck in customs in US- Canada border when coming back and require something called tax invoice to have them released. CIC won't send even that.. applicants have had to send it on behalf of CIC.

I somehow feel that the passport stamping tracking system isn't that great with CIC. It is like putting passport in to black hole without knowing what would be the outcome!

The only way to reach your visa office is emailing. Just respond to the email that you got and ask for the status. Status shown as approved is good thing. They might be mailing out things in batches, and August 3 is just few days back. They definitely won't send it back in regular mail as they need to pay for it. They will your label for sure. Worst case, they will ask you send a envelope + label together and then dispatch passports. Emailing is the best way to contact them I believe. If that email is unreachable, you could search this forum for Vienna VO email id.
Many thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

The whole problem is that here in Europe (or at least in Switzerland where I live) it doesn't work like in the US with these return envelopes. I talked to several major courier companies and they all do not offer a prepaid return envelope. The only option I had was to include these pre-prepared return labels. The courier explained that I would have to instruct fedex to go and pick it up at the embassy once I know the documents are ready. When the courier passes by he brings an envelope. So the envelope cannot be the issue. The issue is how do I know when the passport is ready to be sent back?
I mean, even if I had included an envelope, fedex would still need to know when to come for the pickup. And this requires the embassy to either contact fedex directly to let them know or contact me so I can arrange for the pickup. A fedex envelope you cannot simply drop in a regular mailbox.

Would it be an idea to just send fedex there without knowing if the docs are ready to be sent back?

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That contact number is not for visa/immigration.

From the homepage of the Vienna website: Visa and Immigration section is no longer open for submission of applications, documents or passports, or any enquiries.
I also saw this today. But the thing is that my PPR email said that I need to send the passport to the VO in Vienna.

Anyone knows why I had to submit to Vienna and not to VO Paris??

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Many thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

The whole problem is that here in Europe (or at least in Switzerland where I live) it doesn't work like in the US with these return envelopes. I talked to several major courier companies and they all do not offer a prepaid return envelope. The only option I had was to include these pre-prepared return labels. The courier explained that I would have to instruct fedex to go and pick it up at the embassy once I know the documents are ready. When the courier passes by he brings an envelope. So the envelope cannot be the issue. The issue is how do I know when the passport is ready to be sent back?
I mean, even if I had included an envelope, fedex would still need to know when to come for the pickup. And this requires the embassy to either contact fedex directly to let them know or contact me so I can arrange for the pickup. A fedex envelope you cannot simply drop in a regular mailbox.

Would it be an idea to just send fedex there without knowing if the docs are ready to be sent back?
That's bad. In US they have FedEx post boxes. I am clueless what they do in Canada, but people do get back through FedEx without scheduling any pick up. May be they have daily regular pickups from CIC office as they dispatch a lot of mails.

Given that your application has been approved, you could try your luck scheduling the pick up. You should also check with other people who applied from Europe. There is a separate tracker for passport sending and receiving, see if you can catch hold someone from there.

KiranK

Champion Member
May 23, 2017
Category........
Other
I have no idea about Vienna office, But PP can be delayed a bit after stamping, I got mine after 15 days, where most people get in 7 days in my home country. Its not a problem at all. Also i don't think any Visa Office of any nation can be careless about PP and misplace them.
I hope the said person called the correct number, as to me it seems it was not.
Wait for few more days is my advice here. I think most likely he/she will receive some update by next week.

Mimi2017

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Berlin
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-07-2017
Doc's Request.
28-07-2017
AOR Received.
18-07-2017
File Transfer...
08-08-2017
Med's Done....
28-07-2017
Passport Req..
28-08-2017
Hi @Kearnixer,

I would say:
1. first of all congrats for getting your PR. You should be relieved at this point and not going on stressing out like that.
2. Please relax. I'm sure the VO know what they're doing, and I heard that Vienna is very busy. It's not the first time they ship a passport back...
3. As @DEEPCUR mentioned, August 3 wasn't so long ago... and yes, I also heard that they sent PR in batches, so be patient, it'll come.

Cheers,

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no idea about Vienna office, But PP can be delayed a bit after stamping, I got mine after 15 days, where most people get in 7 days in my home country. Its not a problem at all. Also i don't think any Visa Office of any nation can be careless about PP and misplace them.
I hope the said person called the correct number, as to me it seems it was not.
Wait for few more days is my advice here. I think most likely he/she will receive some update by next week.
There is only one phone number to call the VO in Vienna. So it cannot have been the wrong number. And I did not choose an option which is only for Canadians....

KiranK

Champion Member
May 23, 2017
Category........
Other
There is only one phone number to call the VO in Vienna. So it cannot have been the wrong number. And I did not choose an option which is only for Canadians....
Well then as you said must have been some stupid person on the other end.
Like @gurik said , our friend @astralsource can guide you better.
IMO, hopefully they will contact you by next week, can't expect them to be careless.

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi @Kearnixer,

I would say:
1. first of all congrats for getting your PR. You should be relieved at this point and not going on stressing out like that.
2. Please relax. I'm sure the VO know what they're doing, and I heard that Vienna is very busy. It's not the first time they ship a passport back...
3. As @DEEPCUR mentioned, August 3 wasn't so long ago... and yes, I also heard that they sent PR in batches, so be patient, it'll come.

Cheers,
Thank you @Mimi2017 . I know I should not stress out like this. But I think you automatically get stressed when you send a physical passport and especially when you have no control over the situation.
What I am afraid of is that my passport is just laying on their desk waiting to be picked up while I am wating for them to let me know the documents are ready to be picked up. It says in the PPR email that the courier company needs to contact the embassy to schedule a pickup. But on the other hand if I instrut the courier company they already want a day and time as of when they can send a courier to the embassy!! How can I give a day and time if I don't know if the documents are ready? FedEx is certainly not going to deal with the embassy to set a day and time....

Do you think my worry is unreasonable? Or do I have a point here?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And again, as stated on the Vienna VO homepage, that number is not for visas and immigration. The only available communication methods are email and CSE.