+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor's visa to student?

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
Hi this is my situation. I am looking to invest in a franchise in Quebec. I want to go to meet with them. Can I go on my ETA or do I need to get a business visa? I will be there for only two weeks.

Since the business is located in Quebec, I applied for a course to strengthen my French speaking skills and got admitted into the university for the winter session. Now I will study this course only if the franchise prospects look good otherwise there won’t be any use.

I was thinking of coming back to my visa free country and applying for a student visa. However I have been told that the possibility of my getting a student visa may not be that great since I already have a Master’s degree and it doesn’t make much sense going there to study French. So a visa may not be granted for the purpose. Therefore I am told that it would be easier to go there as a visitor and change to a student visa.

I am confused as to which would be the better option. Please advise

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi this is my situation. I am looking to invest in a franchise in Quebec. I want to go to meet with them. Can I go on my ETA or do I need to get a business visa? I will be there for only two weeks.

Since the business is located in Quebec, I applied for a course to strengthen my French speaking skills and got admitted into the university for the winter session. Now I will study this course only if the franchise prospects look good otherwise there won’t be any use.

I was thinking of coming back to my visa free country and applying for a student visa. However I have been told that the possibility of my getting a student visa may not be that great since I already have a Master’s degree and it doesn’t make much sense going there to study French. So a visa may not be granted for the purpose. Therefore I am told that it would be easier to go there as a visitor and change to a student visa.

I am confused as to which would be the better option. Please advise
Generally speaking, a language course is regarded as a very weak reason for applying for a study permit - whether you are inside or outside of Canada. Is the program more than six months in length? If the program is six months or shorter, you don't need a study visa and can take the course while here as a visitor.

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
Scylla thanks for your advice.

Now initially I want enroll in a program less than 6 months to see how much I can capture the language at this age. If I do well, then I want to go ahead with the purchase of the franchise. I have also been advised by the program head that the course if studied for a minimum of (was it 1200 I think?) hours does lead to a PEQ eligibility. Now if I decide that the course is beneficial to me, can I continue the course till I reach the number of hours required for the PEQ? Or do I have to stop the course after 6 months and only concentrate on the franchise part to get a PR in Canada. If you could throw some light on this, I will greatly appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scylla thanks for your advice.

Now initially I want enroll in a program less than 6 months to see how much I can capture the language at this age. If I do well, then I want to go ahead with the purchase of the franchise. I have also been advised by the program head that the course if studied for a minimum of (was it 1200 I think?) hours does lead to a PEQ eligibility. Now if I decide that the course is beneficial to me, can I continue the course till I reach the number of hours required for the PEQ? Or do I have to stop the course after 6 months and only concentrate on the franchise part to get a PR in Canada. If you could throw some light on this, I will greatly appreciate it.
No - you can't.

For PEQ the program has to be at least 1800 hours minimum of study. You can't stick a whole bunch of short term language courses together to make up the 1800 hours. You have to take a single degree or diploma that's at least 1800 hours - which is more than six months of study and requires a study permit.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'concentrate on the franchise'. Without a work permit, all you can do with regards to the franchise is give money towards its start up. You can't do anything that would be classified as work - even if it's unpaid - that includes any sort of management. Apart from handing over cash, you literally cannot lift a finger in terms of the start up.

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
Oh I see. Your reply is very helpful.

And from what you are telling me it is not easy to get a study permit for a language course. Does that apply to also a PEQ eligible course? Now what if my reason is that to buy a franchise in Quebec, I need to have a competency in French? Would that make any difference? If not what do you suggest?

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
Canuck thanks I am aware of that. However what I told Scylla is that I will already be in Canada to talk with the Franchise and to leave and go to another country to learn French wouldn't make much sense. It might be more reasonable to stay there and continue with the language that is if there is a chance of procuring the visa at all under this reasoning.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you will find that CIC doesn't share your logic. 6 month language courses tend to be intensive courses and not something you can do while exploring business opportunities. Seeing a franchise presentation also doesn't take 6 months. These are not really compatible activities. Think CIC will share my logic and encourage you to learn French in your own country.

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
Wonder under what circumstances international candidates are allowed to study language PEQ courses and if any of those circumstances could help me get an approval to do the course. Any help on this will be highly appreciated.