+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor's Passport stamp vs 'sheet of paper'

Lex

Jun 30, 2008
Hi, when i entered canada as a visitor my passport was stamped, there was no paper document. I traveled explicitly for the purpose of finishing my canadian driver's license, which i was told would not be a problem several times. Now icbc are telling me they cant accept this stamp, they need 'one of those paper documents' for me to be able to take the final test. Does anyone know anymore about this. It's crazy ive traveled thousands of miles for thousands of dollars on their word i could take the test, now they turn around and say they cant. Does anyone have experience with this? And is it possible to get a stamp somehow transferred to a document (similar to what you get with a student visa or work permit).

Thanks

Lex

Jun 30, 2008
The stamp given when i arrived apparently isn't sufficient evidence that i am a visitor. Is there a way i can turn a simple visitor stamp into a paper version explicitly saying i am a visitor?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The piece of paper that you are looking for may be a Visitor Record. What are you trying to prove to IBIC?

On Visitor Records - I know they issue them at immigration at your point of entry into Canada, and they also issue them if you are granted a visa extension. I have had both.
But I am sorry I don't know of another quick way of getting one. i suppose you could go to a border crossing and ask.

Lex

Jun 30, 2008
Thanks Baloo, yeah well they stamped my pp when i entered the country. ICBC though cannot 'use' this stamp claiming it does not provide sufficient evidence of my status in canada. So i therefore have to get hold of a more explicit copy of my status here as a visitor. I just went to see the people at immigration canada, and ofcourse got a 18 year old secretary that says 'sorry we cant do that here, please see our website'.....

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
They require 2 pieces of ID to apply for a driver's license here (in B.C. at least) and now they're very strict with it. You cannot just show the entry stamp on your passport to get a driver's license but you need to prove your status in Canada with a legal document, i.e. landing paper, PR card or Visitor Record. You can find the accepted IDs for driver's license on ICBC's website. You can apply for a visa extension once your allowed period of residence here is getting expired, but that takes time.

Lex

Jun 30, 2008
Thanks for the help. Yeah i already had my N license for two years, and came here to finish it. So i had passport with stamp and license. I understand now i visitor record will do the job. Much relieved!