+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa refused

Sep 13, 2023
Hello, my sister in law recently applied for a visitor visa to visit my wife and stay at our place for 3 weeks or a month. She provided documents proving that: a property on her name, a permanente job that pays really well, she is a Co owner for a well known post production house, she has a big number in her bank account, travel history to Schengen area many times. Only thing is she is not married. She still got a refusal for no strong family ties outside canada. Can I get advice on what should we do to get it approved. We already applied twice( second time with a lawyer) and same refusal. My wife and I are both in canada ( PR )alone and she wants her sister to be able to come and go easily.
thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, my sister in law recently applied for a visitor visa to visit my wife and I and stay at our place for 3 weeks or a month. She provided documents proving that: a property on her name, a permanente job that pays really well, she is a Co owner for a well known post production house, she has a big number in her bank account, travel history to Schengen area many times. Only thing is she is not married. She still got a refusal for no strong family ties outside canada. Can I get advice on what should we do to get it approved. We already applied twice( second time with a lawyer) and same refusal. My wife and I are both in canada ( PR )alone and she wants her sister to be able to come and go easily.
thanks in advance for any advice.
What do you mean come and go easily? She is a visitor. Unfortunately she has no family ties. If she has a business then show specific contracts that she must return to at the end of her visit. From her employer, get a letter that says she has been working at the company for years and has leave for xx days. That is all she can do. If she applied for these two visas in quick succession then she should not apply again for a few months. Order GCMS notes while she waits.

If after a third refusal then consider hiring a lawyer and file a judicial review if you feel IRCC is not following the law. The JR may come out in her favour for another review of her file. However this will not be cheap.

Sep 13, 2023
Thanks for you reply, it means she can visit once a year, people have different attachments to their families and it is only fair to have access to family support when needed. Yeah she gave every support document we can think of, thanks for suggesting a JR will look into it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for you reply, it means she can visit once a year, people have different attachments to their families and it is only fair to have access to family support when needed. Yeah she gave every support document we can think of, thanks for suggesting a JR will look into it.
Get a good immigration lawyer to file. Will cost between $6-10K

Ligal2828

Sep 6, 2023
What do you mean come and go easily? She is a visitor. Unfortunately she has no family ties. If she has a business then show specific contracts that she must return to at the end of her visit. From her employer, get a letter that says she has been working at the company for years and has leave for xx days. That is all she can do. If she applied for these two visas in quick succession then she should not apply again for a few months. Order GCMS notes while she waits.

If after a third refusal then consider hiring a lawyer and file a judicial review if you feel IRCC is not following the law. The JR may come out in her favour for another review of her file. However this will not be cheap.
Sorry, for the refusal. I believe you order for the GCMS notes. Then you can know the actual reasons for refusal. Before you apply for the next one. you can do it with the help of an immigration lawyer. Also please can you share your timeline with us here.. Please when did you apply for the first and second application before you receive the final decision. Also which Portal did you use to apply. IRCC New Portal or GCKEY Old Portal? Thank you.

Sep 13, 2023
Hey, first time she applied on her own not sure which portal but it was January and in march she got refusal, second time we hired a lawyer that told us chances should be high given her employment, travel and assets record, this was in May and then she got the second refusal for the same reason again yesterday. We asked the lawyer to order the Notes so we will see what is the real reason.

Ligal2828

Sep 6, 2023
Hey, first time she applied on her own not sure which portal but it was January and in march she got refusal, second time we hired a lawyer that told us chances should be high given her employment, travel and assets record, this was in May and then she got the second refusal for the same reason again yesterday. We asked the lawyer to order the Notes so we will see what is the real reason.
Oh okay, i believe, everything will be alright in her next application after you review the GCMS note.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh okay, i believe, everything will be alright in her next application after you review the GCMS note.
How did you and your spouse get PR? Does your wife’s parents have any form of visa and have they ever come to Canada? Assume there is a decent chance she is from Turkey. There may be additional concerns because it is fairly unusual for a woman above a certain age to remain unmarried and travel on her own and many more progressive people have sought sanctuary/asylum outside of Turkey. If she has confirmed projects in the future that could be another way to show ties to her home country.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
This is all very discouraging, given that the OP's sister-in-law was refused a visa even though she appears to have strong ties to her home country through her employment and property ownership, but not so strong when it comes to 'family' ties. It seems like the threshhold is set extremely high for anyone trying to visit their loved ones in Canada and you need to have both the financial resources and family ties.

In my friend's case, he applied in December for a visa for his wife's mother in Syria to come for a three-month visit, as she has never met her grandchildren, and her daughter could use some help with child care. The application was rejected, citing insufficient proof of ties to Syria. The family here are Canadian citizens and sent proof of their financial ability to support her during her entire visit and pay her air fare. She has lots of family still in Syria--several siblings and even her own mother who still lives with her (and is dependent on her--which was mentioned in the application as a way of showing she has responsibilites back home). But she is over 60 and retired, hence no employment income and limited funds in her own bank account (I'm not sure, but she may be getting a modest pension and I'm guessing the siblings help with support). My friend has asked if he could re-apply for the visa but I am hesitant to encourage him to do so unless his mother-in-law can come up with some stronger proof of her own financial security. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea for family in Canada to transfer funds to a relative overseas to put in their bank accounts to show sufficient resources, but perhaps someone could comment on that. I'm starting to think this is hopeless, and I'm sure being from a troubled country like Syria doesn't help matters. But any suggestions would be appreciated.