+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Parents

DelhiGuy

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Hello there,

If someone could assist with below scenario and questions, it'd be highly appreciated:

I just graduated school and trying to invite my parents on the visitor visa to attend the graduation ceremony, visa office will be New Delhi.

Question 1: My parents speak and understand very limited English, should I select "English" as an answer to the questions below in the generic form or "neither"?
If your native language is not English or french, which language do you use most frequently?
Are you able to communicate in English or french?

Question 2: The visa office checklist asks for "Income tax returns for last 2 years", however, my parents do not have that, can we file without the Income tax returns? We are showing other financial support though, fixed deposits, bank statements and such with sufficient funds. Are income tax returns mandatory? Would they accept application without it?

Question 3: My parents do not know the date of birth of their parents, what should be the best course of action in filling the family form? Should we leave the date of births blank or fill in the educated guess and stick with the same dates for the future correspondence with CIC?

Question 4: I also would like to invite my sister to the graduation and process her visitor visa application; she's 31, single. Is it advisable to process her file as well with parents or should I hold on her file cause it may jeopardize parents application? She's the last person in the family who wouldn't have canadian visa after my parents, if we process her file, would it look negative?

Kindly advise on above questions, thank you in advance!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Question 1: My parents speak and understand very limited English, should I select "English" as an answer to the questions below in the generic form or "neither"?
If your native language is not English or french, which language do you use most frequently?
You can select the language they are likely to speak.... in this case: either English or Neither (if you select their native language).

Question 2: The visa office checklist asks for "Income tax returns for last 2 years", however, my parents do not have that, can we file without the Income tax returns?
As per the document checklist for India, they must submit Income Tax Returns for the last 2 years.

Question 3: My parents do not know the date of birth of their parents, what should be the best course of action in filling the family form?
If the date of birth is not known, you must use an '*' (star sign) in the spaces for date, month or year (wherever applicable).

Question 4: I also would like to invite my sister to the graduation and process her visitor visa application; she's 31, single.
Your sister must demonstrate strong ties to India whether she applies along with your parents or later.... each visa application will be assessed separately

DelhiGuy

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks for advising Bryanna. Is there an exemption or a work around for income tax returns? We simply don't have them.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Have your parents paid any Advance Tax for the previous/current financial year?
Did they submit Form 15H to the banks where they have FDs?
Can they submit TDS certificates (if applicable)?
Are your parents employed?

I believe it will be relatively easy for your parents to file their tax returns.... in a short turnaround time.... as Individual Tax Payers..... especially if their source of income is straightforward ie from investments, shares/dividends, rental income, etc.

On the other hand, it may take time to prepare and file tax returns if the income was earned/paid by a business/company owned by the tax payer

DelhiGuy

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Okay, thanks for the input.

Regarding date of birth; are we sure about putting * ? Is it advised by CIC or people did it and it worked? Just trying to be sure, kindly advise.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yup, pretty sure about the '*' in the blank spaces if the complete date of birth is not known

It's on the CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/search-recherche/index-eng.aspx?search=basic&query=if+date+of+birth+is+not+known&s=0&l=e

bushy

Jul 31, 2015
Hi,

I applied for a visitor visa online for my mother. I keep getting notifications about checking messages and updates , however there are none, is there a problem?

PKG92

Jun 6, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUN 02,2014
LANDED..........
since 2011
HO GUYS

CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME THE DETAILS HOW TO APPLY FOR VISITOR VISA FOR PARENTS ONLINE . WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED.

geger

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar-Senegal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
LANDED..........
27-03-2013
PKG92 said:
HO GUYS

CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME THE DETAILS HOW TO APPLY FOR VISITOR VISA FOR PARENTS ONLINE . WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You can invite your parents. You can address the Invitation Letter to 'The Visa Officer, High Commission of Canada, address'

This link will help you: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp

PKG92

Jun 6, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUN 02,2014
LANDED..........
since 2011
Bryanna said:
You can invite your parents. You can address the Invitation Letter to 'The Visa Officer, High Commission of Canada, address'

THANK YOU . SO I HAVE TO SEND A COPY OF THAT LETTER TO THEM

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
PKG92 said:
THANK YOU . SO I HAVE TO SEND A COPY OF THAT LETTER TO THEM
Yes, you must send the letter to your parents.... they can include it when they apply online/paper submission

DelhiGuy

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Bryanna said:

Hello Bryanna,

Thank you. However, what are your thoughts about writing a joint invitation letter with my spouse, or writing by myself? Please advise.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
DelhiGuy said:
Hello Bryanna,

Thank you. However, what are your thoughts about writing a joint invitation letter with my spouse, or writing by myself? Please advise.
You can write a joint Invitation Letter.... you should include details about yourself and your spouse (as stated in the CIC link) + provide the necessary supporting documents