+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for my fiancee

nikkaush

Nov 25, 2021
Hey all,

Me and my fiancee are getting married in November and I’m a Canadian PR holder.
Should I apply for her Visitor’s visa now, or should I first apply for spousal PR after the marriage and then apply for Visitor’s visa based on the AOR of PR application?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey all,

Me and my fiancee are getting married in November and I’m a Canadian PR holder.
Should I apply for her Visitor’s visa now, or should I first apply for spousal PR after the marriage and then apply for Visitor’s visa based on the AOR of PR application?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
Whether your fiancée should attempt to apply for a TRV before marriage will be dependent on whether they have good longterm employment, have property in their name, whether they have family in their home country that will remain at home while they travel (spouse and/or dependent children), they have previous international travel experience especially to places like the US, UK, Australia, etc. and whether they have their own funds to support their travels. If their application doesn’t meet these conditions they should apply and try to secure a TRV after marriage.

nikkaush

Nov 25, 2021
@canuck78 , thank you. Really appreciate your inputs.
I understand that to get approved for TRV before marriage, they would need to show strong ties to the home country.

Below is what we are planning to attach to the application.
1. An official leave request from the organisation ( for which they have been working for approx 2 yrs ), stating that they will be travelling to Canada and will be joining back after 2 weeks.
2. Both of the parents and sibling are in India.
3. We are getting married in the home country in November, so we could attach the invitation thereby showing the intent that they plan to come back to the home country.
4. We will be showing sufficient funds to sponsor the trip.
5. We will also the attaching the reference of one the friend to the application stating that they plan to stay with their friend for the 2 weeks trip.

What we lack in the application is property possession and prior international travel experience.

Do you think we have a good enough chance to get TRV approved before marriage?

If yes, my next question would be that if things go south and TRV before marriage is not approved, will this cause any issues with the spousal PR application that we plan to file after marriage?

Thanks in advance!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
What we lack in the application is property possession and prior international travel experience.

In my opinion, 95% no. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I'm not IRCC after all, so it's not my opinion that matters here. Some applicants with similar profiles do get their TRVs.

if things go south and TRV before marriage is not approved, will this cause any issues with the spousal PR application that we plan to file after marriage?
There will be no issues with the spousal PR application even after a TRV refusal, as long as you declare the refusal honestly.

Reactions: nikkaush

nikkaush

Nov 25, 2021
@bellaluna @canuck78 thanks for sharing your opinions.

Below is another option that I'm considering.
Apply for spousal PR after the marriage. After getting the AOR, apply for TRV and attach the TRV along with the application.
( The reason I wanted to apply for TRV is that spousal PR application can take up to 6-8 months to get processed ).

1. Now, given the spousal application will already be in process, does applying for TRV a good idea? Wouldn't it show dual intent that the applicant wants to get both a PR and a Visitor Visa? Also, do you think that IRCC could raise the question that if the PR application is already in process, why did the applicant apply for TRV?

2. @bellaluna , could you please suggest anything else, that will boost up the chances of getting TRV approved before marriage?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
2. could you please suggest anything else, that will boost up the chances of getting TRV approved before marriage?
Previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US / UK. Property ownership.

nikkaush

Nov 25, 2021
Previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US / UK. Property ownership.
@scylla ,
I was just considering the case where a couple of my friends who are working full-time in the US ( on Student visas ) were able to get TRV, without showing any property ownership. Also considering the fact that they are still in the States and haven't returned back to their home countries.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla ,
I was just considering the case where a couple of my friends who are working full-time in the US ( on Student visas ) were able to get TRV, without showing any property ownership. Also considering the fact that they are still in the States and haven't returned back to their home countries.
Yes, that's why I mentioned previous travel to countries requiring visa such as the US or UK. Does your fiancee have this?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
@scylla ,
Also considering the fact that they are still in the States and haven't returned back to their home countries.
Well, they have more long-term ties in the US with their studies, meaning they are more likely to leave Canada after a short visit.

1. Now, given the spousal application will already be in process, does applying for TRV a good idea? Wouldn't it show dual intent that the applicant wants to get both a PR and a Visitor Visa? Also, do you think that IRCC could raise the question that if the PR application is already in process, why did the applicant apply for TRV?
For what it's worth, I got granted a TRV with a PR application in progress. It's really dependent on how strong one's case for a TRV is.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 , thank you. Really appreciate your inputs.
I understand that to get approved for TRV before marriage, they would need to show strong ties to the home country.

Below is what we are planning to attach to the application.
1. An official leave request from the organisation ( for which they have been working for approx 2 yrs ), stating that they will be travelling to Canada and will be joining back after 2 weeks.
2. Both of the parents and sibling are in India.
3. We are getting married in the home country in November, so we could attach the invitation thereby showing the intent that they plan to come back to the home country.
4. We will be showing sufficient funds to sponsor the trip.
5. We will also the attaching the reference of one the friend to the application stating that they plan to stay with their friend for the 2 weeks trip.

If yes, my next question would be that if things go south and TRV before marriage is not approved, will this cause any issues with the spousal PR application that we plan to file after marriage?

Thanks in advance!
What country they are from will also play a factor into approval rates. Having parents a siblings in their home country is not considered family ties. IRCC is really looking for spouses and dependent children when they specify family ties. Including a letter specifying that he will be staying with a friend does not add much to the application. In many cases IRCC assumes that the person will stay with their partner and not the friend. The best piece of evidence is your invitation. Proof that you are having a wedding in your home country in November is in my opinion the best proof that he will return to his home country. There may be a question about why you would spend money to travel to Canada to visit if you plan on getting married so
soon. I would provide an extra piece of evidence like booking and proof of payment for the wedding venue in addition to the invitation. For the TRV your partner should be showing their own savings to show they can support their own travels.