+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Fiancee in India

capri_can

Star Member
May 2, 2012
I am a Canaidian Citizen living in Canada since 2012. I was seperated from my first wife in 2015 February and applied for uncontested divorce in 2017 Jan. i am soon going to receive my divorce decree after which i would like to marry again. I recently met a girl in india (who i started talking from 2017 February via Skype) and got engaged to her. I want to bring her to Canada before getting married so that she can familiarize herself with the country. i will marry her after i get my decree but i want her to come to Canada before we get married and i apply for her spousal PR (may be inbound if she is already here on TRV and we get married here). please advice how to get her visitor visa for Canada. Before this she has applied twice for Canadian visitor visa (in June and September 2017 respectively, as a single woman) TRV and got rejected (both attempts in 2017). But since we are engaged now, is there a hope/way i can bring here before getting married . (i am still waiting for my divorce decree, which is expected to arrive soon)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The chances of a refusal actually increase once you have a fiance / spouse who is Canadian. This is because CIC is more likely to assume you have plans on remaining in Canada long term and aren't a genuine visitor (as demonstrated by the fact that you plan to sponsor her inland if she comes her as a visitor). If she already has two refusals this year - unfortunately I don't think applying again is a wise decision and if she does, it will end in another refusal. You should make plans to visit her instead.

capri_can

Star Member
May 2, 2012
But my fiancee is eventually going to stay with me. We will marry and i will apply for her PR. Its just she wants to visit and see Canada before we marry. She will return after a month. I don't understand why the tourist visa rules are so stringent? I already visited her twice this year. I cannot afford to take more leaves from work to visit her. I am a TAX paying citizen of Canada. There has to be some work around.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But my fiancee is eventually going to stay with me. We will marry and i will apply for her PR. Its just she wants to visit and see Canada before we marry. She will return after a month. I don't understand why the tourist visa rules are so stringent? I already visited her twice this year. I cannot afford to take more leaves from work to visit her. I am a TAX paying citizen of Canada. There has to be some work around.
Unfortunately there's no work around.

The rules are stringent because too many people in the past have abused their visa privileges.

Your first post demonstrates that she's probably not really a tourist since if she gets a TRV, she'll most likely end up staying and you'll sponsor her inland. CIC has similarly made the assumption she will probably remain long term.

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 24-01-2017, AOR2 20-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
24-07-2017, further tests requested 13-08-2017
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
Fully agree with Scylla's opinion. He is a veteran poster and very wise. It is pretty much impossible to get her a visa to Canada, especially with already having two TRV refusals, and it is almost guaranteed rejection if you mention that you are engaged to a Canadian since this creates very strong ties to Canada, showing that they are unlikely to return to India. Unless her situation has greatly changed (i.e. got a much higher paying job, promotion, won the lottery, etc.) it isn't worthwhile to apply for another TRV as it says right on the TRV refusal not to bother applying again unless your situation has changed significantly (for the better). My Thai husband was also in a similar situation. We tried so hard to get him to Canada so that he could learn about my culture first-hand before getting married to have a better "foundation" for our marriage (as recommended by lots of intercultural marriage books). But, after trying so hard, it just didn't happen. Rejected TRV in 2014. Rejected clergy visa in 2015. So I chose to quit my job, put my accounting designation on hold and moved to Thailand for two years to get married and wait for outland spousal PR to come through. Hopefully he will get to move to Canada and start to get to know my culture better after being married for two years.

Most other western countries have the fiancee visa, but Canada unfortunately got rid of it many years ago. It sucks for those of us that have fiancee's in countries that have to apply for TRV... and kind of backwards that they can't join us to get married in Canada... but there is no changing the immigration rules. We just need to do what's best for us based on the current rules in place.

Reactions: scylla

lea1113

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
App. Filed.......
10-11-2017
There are many tax paying citizens that still get there fiancee and even spouses application refused. Its not about paying taxes that you should get it.
It's about showing that she won't stay past her time in Canada. Clearly they weren't liking her application. The last 2 times so something in her application needs to change. But I would take the advice from the above posts and wait until the new year. Get her to strengthen her ties in some way in India and try to make a stronger application.

When I applied for my then boyfriend at the time, I sent an invitation letter along with my passport page and drivers. Maybe an overkill but we didn't want to get refused so we through it all in there.